The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatdog View Post
I have the same question, I play the RARES now and really like them; I'm just curious.
Rares are hex core, Sunbeams are round core.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 09-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

The "more fexible" aspect of the Sunbeams is what I am after. I like to have the same volume with less tension from my strings. That is why I have settled on the Sunbeams as my string of choice.
LC
Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Default re: install on these

I have a set ready to try, I notice they go into some stuff about this on the package, after looking around here is it correct to figure they are about the same as hex core install if you dont cut before winding? or does the factory crimp need to be below the winding point on post regardless of whether you cut?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

In my experience just tune to pitch then cut. Great strings,enjoy.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 08-16-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Rares are a little brighter than Sunbeams.

The thing with Sunbeams is they have a little more flexibility than other strings the same gauge, not less tension, I can bend Sunbeams more than other same gauge strings, and they last a pretty long time. They don't slowly die either, they stay the same for quite a while then die. To me a great reasonably priced string.
See, I experienced the opposite and I bet DR would describe them differently. I thought the Sunbeams were bright and rich (hence the name) and the Rares were a warmer, more traditional, PB string with better playability (than standard PBs). The Sunbeams played really easily but both felt great compared to most brands.

I rather liked everything I tried by DR but Elixirs last so long and DRs require some extra care.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 08-16-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post

The thing with Sunbeams is they have a little more flexibility than other strings the same gauge, not less tension, I can bend Sunbeams more than other same gauge strings,.
Mostly it is more flexibility. However, according to some roundcore manufacturers, Round cores also have around a 3% less tension than their same gauge hex core counterparts.
While the tension is not that less, the Flexibility makes it feel slightly easier to play.
If you use the same sting gauges, no you should not need to adjust your neck relief unless your action is super low, and neck relief is borderline straight.
Also with Sunbeams their medium gauge 4th and 5th strings thickness, sometimes differs than other medium gauge sets. Newtones uses .046 and .036. I believe Sunbeams use .045 & .035.
With Newtones you can order custom gauges at no extra cost. Love the sound of both Sunbeams & Newtones...each slightly different from each other.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I finally bit the bullet and purchased some Stu Mac tools so I could take the guesswork out of my adjustments. I do like to measure things and I like tools, so this made sense for me. I checked my relief using light gauge EXP strings before swapping to medium DR Sunbeams and there as no change in relief once the medium Sunbeams were on my guitar. Limited data, but that’s what I’ve measured so far.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:50 AM

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this. I love Sunbeams. I find that their tension is slightly higher (on the 11-50s) than any equivalent.

DR use a compression wrap that puts more coils on the string than other brands, and they are therefore higher in tension. I have found that for my Guild M20 they put about the same stress on the neck as D'Adarrio 12-53s that the guitar came with (exactly the same setup with no changes to fret buzz etc).

Also round cores because they are denser also add tension, although they give the illusion of it being the other way due to the flexibility of the strings.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:15 PM

I never noticed any difference in tension when I put on DR strings on my guitars. I also never noticed the need to follow a different technique while installing them. At the time, I had no clue that they had different cores than regular strings, and I wouldn't really have cared, either, since this whole round core vs. hexcore stuff appears to be unnecessary detail (for me at least) that so far has not seemed to influence my playing experience in any way. The only reason I no longer use DR strings is that they have been extremely short-lived under my hands. They sound fantastic, but only for a few days, and then it's over.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Overtones View Post
Are they more "wiggly" than other strings (less tension) due to the round cores? In other words, if my action is already pretty low, is it likely I'll have to make a truss rod adjustment to avoid buzzing? And if there is significantly less tension, is it enough that 13-56 gauge DR Sunbeams would have similar tension to 12-54 gauge Martin/comparable brand strings?

Thanks.
I'm not sure what you're getting after exactly, but I'll try to address some things that might be relevant to what you'd like to know.

Sunbeams more "wiggly"? No. A little lighter in tension perhaps but easier on the fingers because you don't have to work so hard to fret the low strings. A common misconception is that if 12's are good 13's are better. It is often the opposite. I thought that with Sunbeam 12's and tried Sunbeam 13's... for about 20 minutes. The heavier gauge killed the mojo of the guitar. That .054 light gauge low E is critical to setting off all the resultant harmonics as it is with many strings. On some guitars you can lose significant volume with heavier strings. Not all. My 814ceDLX seems to like Elixir 12-56's over the 12-53's.

Will you have to make a truss rod adjustment? Maybe. It shouldn't be a big deal. If you have the proper wrench 1/8th turn in the needed direction should put you wherever you like the relief. Maybe it will be fine without adjustment.

In any case I wouldn't describe Sunbeams as "floppy" or "wiggly". Just easier to play. I have them on my D35 right now and these strings just roar. And $7! How do you beat the price?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-16-2019, 03:46 PM

10 year gap between post#17 and #18.

Great strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 PM

It took me a long while to discover DR Sunbeams and I'm not sure why. After playing acoustic for nearly 13 years and trying literally everything I could get my hands on I finally tried a medium set.

I absolutely love them. They are softer on the fingers and have a feel and vibe much like GHS Silk and Bronze or John Pearse Bronze and Silk, or even Newtone Masterclass Doublewound. I strum with my fingers and occasionally use a thumb pick and I've never felt a medium set more forgiving on my fingers. These are so nice for fingerstyle that I don't think I even need to try the lights (but probably will just because). Too wiggly? Nah- just right. They actually have great intonation for round cores and almost have the bite of hex (although not quite as loud perhaps?)

Where have you been all my life DR Sunbeams? I think I have found at least one "go-to" string. Oh yeah, I wash my hands before playing and wipe the strings down with Kyser String Extender afterwards. That stuff is not a gimmick as I was turned onto it by forum member Goodallboy. Very happy with that product too.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:16 AM

All this talk of DR got me to order a set of Rares, Sunbeams, and Dragon Skin to try out. I'll test each on my main gigging guitar and see how I like them but I need to use up the Elixir PBs currently on it, which will take awhile.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
All this talk of DR got me to order a set of Rares, Sunbeams, and Dragon Skin to try out. I'll test each on my main gigging guitar and see how I like them but I need to use up the Elixir PBs currently on it, which will take awhile.
Cool! I'd like to hear your thoughts (although I know it will take awhile) on the DR lineup, but really how the Rares and Dragonskins compare up to the Sunbeams.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Cool! I'd like to hear your thoughts (although I know it will take awhile) on the DR lineup, but really how the Rares and Dragonskins compare up to the Sunbeams.
Resurrecting this thread because I got to try the Rares & Sunbeams on my new Yammie LS16.

After a setup, I had the Rares installed. The tech left the new Tusq saddle a little too tall but it was still playable, if a little stiff. They sounded fine, like you expect PB to. Nothing remarkable or bad. However, after a few days they became thumpy and more "earthy" in tone than the "steely" tone I expect of PBs. I sanded down the saddle and put Sunbeams on.

Two things went wrong: first, I sanded the saddle down a little too much on the treble side and the 1st string rang clearly but clearly lacked tone due to insufficient break angle. Secondly, I tuned the guitar and stretched them repeatedly and the 3rd string broke on me. So, I didn't really get to test them

I don't know if it was just bad luck but I have rarely had that happen in my life. I threw a set of Pearse PB Lights on and they sounded ok, warm, but not remarkable. I'm going to pop in a different saddle, which has a better profile, and try the Pearse again (for the sake of control). Since my saddle is a little low, I don't want to discredit the Pearse yet and I should give the Sunbeams another try as well.

So far, I'm not digging the Rares and don't have the experience to judge the Sunbeams yet. The JPs are ok but I'll probably try the D'Addario PB lights as well (bc I always have a bunch) and if none of those woo me, it's back to Elixir Nanowebs.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion