The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-12-2003, 03:15 PM

Default Tabs and Bean Sprouts

Choose your poison, which one do you prefer.

now that I am with the classical notation, I don't think I am going back lol.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:26 PM

Both. It's ridiculous not to use tab when its provided - it's simply too time consuming to try and decipher where to play each note, since there are several frets on the guitar for which each note can be played. I think both provide their benefits. I use tab for WHERE to play the song and standard notation for HOW to play the song.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:09 AM

Yeah, what Jazzinthebox said. I'm relearning how to read music after a 20-odd-year hiatus from playing guitar, but I still find TAB indispensible for figuring out where to fret a given note.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:38 PM

As long as I have the recording and great tab, it's fine with me. Struggling through the 60's and 70's with standard notation only (and much of it useless at that) was a drag.

The best tab monthlys out there are in three English magazines --- Total Guitar, Guitar Techniques and Guitarist. I notice the back issues are going for a pretty penny as many of the tabs can never be printed again (law suits) --- that's how good they are. They come with cds and backing tracks. All levels. Many times these guys sound better than the originals! No kidding.

Great tab is a wonderful thing. I suppose for classical guitar standard notation might still be the way to go but for all my guitar learning, it's gotta be tab.

Sheesh, Now I am sounding like a soft drink ad.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Of course, the other thing - alternate tunings. I don't know about the rest of you folks, but if someone handed me notation for something, say in Open G - I'd be dead in the water. I can't do that kind of thing in my head.

The best guitar music, in my opinion, would have to have both tab and standard notation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell