The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-07-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Right Hand Dampening ????

I've been trying to dampen the sound with my right hand as shown on one of Happy Traum's DVD's, bit I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I notice that my right hand is in a classical position however when I try to dampen, my hand is way out of position and my fingers have little fuency.
Any suggestions .....????

Ed
Old 04-07-2003, 11:36 AM

if you're doing fingerpicking I'm not sure if it's the same but I think you mean like palm muting?? just rest your palm really close to the bridge to take some of the vibration out of the string. I practiced learning palm muting just by resting my palm on the strings and strumming downstrokes

if this is way off base I apologize
Old 04-07-2003, 04:03 PM

You can maintain the classical position so long as you only lower the base of your palm (i.e. the area right above your wrist). If you move anything other than this area your hand will be way out of position.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:24 PM

right hand palming ROCKS!!!
it really adds a dimension to your guitar playing as far as dynamics and what nots are concerned!

here's how i right palm.
don't rest the fleshy part of your palm dead on to the strings.
instead rest the harder part right at the edge ( parallel to your pinky) right b4 the bridge.
also i find that it helps to release the mute at certain times (according to taste and feel of song)
last tip. use a medium-ish prettrum to give you more of a drive!

my 2 RM0.02 -
right hand palming can really drive a song!!!
2002 Larrivee LV72KK
2002 Taylor 615ce
2002 Fender Eric Clapton Blackie
2012 Gibson Hummingbird
[email protected]
Old 04-07-2003, 07:05 PM

right hand palming really can drive a song!!!! i agree totally ian....in most of the new stuff ive been writing i start with a nice clean sounding picking intro then after the first two lines add palm muted chords over that...it really adds dimension and feel to my music...at least to me it does...
Old 04-10-2003, 07:30 AM

I'm still working on getting the palming down. What I have figured out is that it doesn't take much pressure with the right hand and the closer I am to the bridge the easier it is for me to do.
Midnight Shadow
Old 04-11-2003, 08:41 AM

Thank you for the advice. I'll try these techniques.

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-14-2003, 10:25 PM

As is true with most other guitar techniques right hand muting is most effective when it is coupled with attention to the amount of tension beig used in the left hand. The mix of the two gives you access to several levels of overall muting. The percussive value is remarkable. I had a friend describe a new player at his church who has a good knowledge of chords but only plays a chunga-chunga-chunga up and down strum with his right hand. The guy is missing the boat.

I use a right palm near the bridge muting technique in the vamps of many songs between verses in my ensemble playing. If you do a flat pick arpeggio with some left hand added grace notes the pizzicatto effect is most pleasant.

Sincerely

Bigsbee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell