The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-27-2021, 12:21 PM

I love Rory's compression bracing and arched backs, I think it adds a lot to the sound! Love the hot sand fade on the end graft if indeed I am correct on that!
Old 03-27-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I love Rory's compression bracing and arched backs, I think it adds a lot to the sound! Love the hot sand fade on the end graft if indeed I am correct on that!
Agree with the arched back and compression bracing. They're very photogenic too. And I'm sure there's a hot sand fade on the end graft. This is looking spectacular - it's going to be an incredible guitar.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

This is such a cool thread! Love how it's progressing.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 03-28-2021, 07:11 AM

Default Taran

Am I right in thinking there is some influence from Mathias Dammann in the construction of this, though not quite as extreme ?
Old 03-28-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Am I right in thinking there is some influence from Mathias Dammann in the construction of this, though not quite as extreme ?
Yes, although I doubt many 'round here have seen how a Dammann is constructed. That might include Rory himself...

And of course Dammann's "big" innovation is perceived to be the nomex double top rather than the insanely thick sides (which Smallman tends to get the credit for, albeit Smallman's are 18mm birch ply and Dammann's is a rib, like Rory's).

All I can say is that having played many of Rory's prior incarnations, the most recent guitars are insanely good. I have no idea if that's the stiffer sides, the compression braces, a lesser top/back radius, or the colour of the lining veneer!

No doubt it's all of those things.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-29-2021, 06:40 AM

It looks to me that Dammann is creating a large gluing area to hold the top firmly in place.

I think Smallman does something similar but with a frame, leaving the area that does most of the vibrating ( which is quite small ) to do its job more efficiently.

Perhaps Rory would care to comment when he has time ?

fullsizeoutput_1b97 by A Prutton, on Flickr

IMG_2105 by A Prutton, on Flickr

Best Regards Anthony.

Last edited by Portland Bill; 03-29-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:59 AM

Hi All,

Thank you for joining Matt and I on this build. It’s an exciting one as this combination of woods is one of my favourites and Matt is an absolute joy to work with!

One of the wonderful things about guitar making is the lack of a rule book. As all builders I look for construction that works for the way I build and that produces the character in an instrument that I’m after. In Smallmans work and Mathias Dammann, who I hadn’t come across until now, thank you Bill. I sure their developments were a product of the same investigative approach I use. What they are looking for I can’t say. For me, I have always heard a fulness in a guitar with double sides. I’ve tried lots of different constructions from standard single sides with kerfed linings, single sides with laminated linings, doubles side, double sides with a foam core and even Nomax as a core. All bring a different tonal quality to a guitar. The construction here is the one I’ve settled on recently. Fully kerfed cedar laminated with 3 veneers on the inside and the main side for the outer skin. It’s light but most importantly it’s incredibly ridged. Perfect for taking up the stresses of the string pull over time and allowing the top and back to vibrate as freely as possible. Credit where its due, I believe it was Jeremy of 52 Instruments that first did this construction and it is now widely used by makers world wide.

The fascination is that these individual techniques change the tone of a guitar. While this construction for the way I build my larger models works very well, I would in a smaller model go for something different perhaps. If I wanted a light airy or etherial sounding guitar that had a very light response level for finger style, I probably would go for a single side with laminated linings. In the Tirga Mhor it’s a different beast. Power, clarity and fulness are my goals, this construction to my ear aids this. Of course there is a lot more in play….

The joy of years of experimentation is that I can pick and chose as you would from a recipe book as to the flavour of a guitar using different wood and techniques to achieve a desired character. It keeps me on my toes and building exciting.

I’ll stop talking now and go and do some binding Matt…

Thank you all again!

All the very best,

Rory
Old 03-30-2021, 08:25 PM

Default Taran Guitars Build - Tirga Mhor - Adirondack | African Blackwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranGuitars View Post
Hi All,

Thank you for joining Matt and I on this build. It’s an exciting one as this combination of woods is one of my favourites and Matt is an absolute joy to work with!

One of the wonderful things about guitar making is the lack of a rule book. As all builders I look for construction that works for the way I build and that produces the character in an instrument that I’m after. In Smallmans work and Mathias Dammann, who I hadn’t come across until now, thank you Bill. I sure their developments were a product of the same investigative approach I use. What they are looking for I can’t say. For me, I have always heard a fulness in a guitar with double sides. I’ve tried lots of different constructions from standard single sides with kerfed linings, single sides with laminated linings, doubles side, double sides with a foam core and even Nomax as a core. All bring a different tonal quality to a guitar. The construction here is the one I’ve settled on recently. Fully kerfed cedar laminated with 3 veneers on the inside and the main side for the outer skin. It’s light but most importantly it’s incredibly ridged. Perfect for taking up the stresses of the string pull over time and allowing the top and back to vibrate as freely as possible. Credit where its due, I believe it was Jeremy of 52 Instruments that first did this construction and it is now widely used by makers world wide.

The fascination is that these individual techniques change the tone of a guitar. While this construction for the way I build my larger models works very well, I would in a smaller model go for something different perhaps. If I wanted a light airy or etherial sounding guitar that had a very light response level for finger style, I probably would go for a single side with laminated linings. In the Tirga Mhor it’s a different beast. Power, clarity and fulness are my goals, this construction to my ear aids this. Of course there is a lot more in play….

The joy of years of experimentation is that I can pick and chose as you would from a recipe book as to the flavour of a guitar using different wood and techniques to achieve a desired character. It keeps me on my toes and building exciting.

I’ll stop talking now and go and do some binding Matt…

Thank you all again!

All the very best,

Rory

Thanks Rory for taking the time to provide your insight and some context to what everyone is seeing in these photos. The sheer variety of ways in which these instruments can be constructed is incredibly interesting.

It’s quite a fascinating thing to watch... I’ve frequented this forum for years and I’ve seen hundreds of these build threads. I’m finding that I have to remind myself occasionally that this is my guitar coming together before my eyes. It’s rather surreal.

I appreciate the kind words! Likewise, working with you has been a top shelf experience.

Matt
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 03-30-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:42 AM

I hope you get this before coming to visit. You can play mine and see where the differences and similarities lay.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Taran Guitars Build - Tirga Mhor - Adirondack | African Blackwood

Great thread, beautiful build! Here’s to a happy year for you, Scallywag!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-04-2021, 10:55 AM

I see that one of the contributors to this thread has gone and won Rory's Young Player Bursary.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-04-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I see that one of the contributors to this thread has gone and won Rory's Young Player Bursary.

Cheers,
Steve
Indeed, and a great choice it is too!
Old 04-16-2021, 06:52 PM

Time for another volley of photos from Rory and Co. Much progress! The woodworking is pretty much finished and the guitar is headed to the finish room where it'll live for the next 5 weeks or so.

I love seeing some little blips and bleeps in the dark wood. For my eye, those little details add character. Perfect straight grain is certainly beautiful, but these little bits make the guitar uniquely mine, in a sense. The burl is wild too.

I realized that I've yet to post the specs for this guitar, so I'll do that next. I also have photos of the bridge being carved (from African Blackwood, matching the fingerboard).

Getting very excited! Thanks for following along!

- Matt

Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 04-17-2021, 12:50 AM

For me, that is everything a guitar should look like. It's beautiful. It's going to sound amazing too in sure. Very exciting indeed.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:25 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Schweet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop