The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 01:43 AM

Default Epiphone AJ-500RC 12 fret guitar!

I'm looking to buy this guitar. I live in Los Angeles CA.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:44 AM

please help me play this to get it thank you
Old 05-15-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

That model is rare as hen’s teeth. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:31 AM

Yeah I'm realizing that.

I mean is it that good as people say? Is it worth waiting for?
Old 05-15-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojones View Post
Yeah I'm realizing that.

I mean is it that good as people say? Is it worth waiting for?

Never played one but everyone says they’re great.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:58 PM

Default Epiphone

I played one when they first came out a number of years ago. Very warm tone from the cedar top. Good volume and there are not very many out there.
JBerry
Abilene TX
Old 05-18-2021, 05:49 PM

Hope I could find one here on AGF
Old 05-18-2021, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

I bought one when they first came out. Nice guitar but not a keeper for me.

At that time the Masterbilt line as a whole was well regarded; those and the Guild GADs were an evolution in Chinese guitar quality. At that time.

Right now I'd rather have an Eastman.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 AM

I have one, but she isn't for sale! Good luck in your search!

Great, great guitar, and not just for the price. It's also a very unique guitar — you won't find many cedar-topped 12-fret dreads around from any manufacturer.

I really should make a proper recording of it one of these days. Here's an iphone clip:

Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 AM

Your playing is good and sounds great on video but many guitars sound good on video. I bought one from Japan that sounded incredible on video but I got it and it sounds ok. Now I have to sell it

I may buy one sight unseen no returns because of all the positive reviews.

I see many people mention perfect for fingerstyle with clarity of notes and overtones which I want BUT -

how is this thing strummed hard? I am looking for a bass, loud and strong dreadnought tone and volume.

Can it do this too?

I see many reviews on many other guitars saying it's amazing, best guitar ever, better than others costing many times more. Then I played it and it sounds meh.

Is this guitar truly amazing, unique and incredible tone as they say? Better than any other guitars??

I just want a guitar that has powerful and clear notes, overtones, strong bass, loud volume. God for fingerstyle and hard driving strumming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOsmo View Post
I have one, but she isn't for sale! Good luck in your search!

Great, great guitar, and not just for the price. It's also a very unique guitar — you won't find many cedar-topped 12-fret dreads around from any manufacturer.

I really should make a proper recording of it one of these days. Here's an iphone clip:

Last edited by pablojones; 05-19-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

You know, both Faith Guitars and Alvarez have come out with 12-fret dreads. They might fit the bill, are reasonably priced, and will certainly be easier to come by.

The Faith has a cedar top:

The Alvarez has a spruce top:
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 05-19-2021, 08:12 AM

It helps to check Reverb when looking for a rare guitar.
This one has been listed for 17 days.
It's possible the re-shaping of the neck has scared people from buying this but I would hurry if you do want it.

https://reverb.com/item/40386069-epi...5-natural-rare
Old 05-19-2021, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I had one. I sold it not too long after getting it. It couldn't compete with my Gibsons and Martins.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I see many people mention perfect for fingerstyle with clarity of notes and overtones which I want BUT -

how is this thing strummed hard? I am looking for a bass, loud and strong dreadnought tone and volume.

Can it do this too?

I see many reviews on many other guitars saying it's amazing, best guitar ever, better than others costing many times more. Then I played it and it sounds meh.

Is this guitar truly amazing, unique and incredible tone as they say? Better than any other guitars??

I just want a guitar that has powerful and clear notes, overtones, strong bass, loud volume. God for fingerstyle and hard driving strumming.
I don't want to say it's "truly amazing, unique and incredible", if we're being honest. That's a bit too hyperbolic. In the price range (if you can find one!) it's a great guitar that punches well above its weight, and it has a unique and different tone to it that really sets it apart, but it's not on the level of tonal complexity and response that for example my luthier-built instruments have.

Mine still gets a ton of use because it does sound really nice and plays well, but it's not so fragile and expensive that I'm scared to take it places. It's the guitar that I end up taking on road trips/weekend vacations, or taking to certain gigs where I don't want to bring one of my nicer instruments.

I'd describe the tone as very full and round, almost like a classical guitar in some ways, and VERY loud. Lots of bass, good note separation but the treble doesn't extend as high as some other guitars so it's not as "sparkly". It works really surprisingly well for fingerstyle, and responds well to flatpicking too — although if I were playing in a bluegrass band I'd probably want something brighter to cut through the other instruments. It has plenty of volume and low end for strumming, but I personally prefer more sparkle for that kind of playing. It's so full, fat and warm that it can get a bit muddy when strummed hard.

Overall, a very cool, interesting, and great sounding guitar, but at the end of the day it's still an ~$800 instrument and not likely to be the holy grail compared to some of the truly amazing (and expensive!) guitars out there.

I got mine for free, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
It helps to check Reverb when looking for a rare guitar.
This one has been listed for 17 days.
It's possible the re-shaping of the neck has scared people from buying this but I would hurry if you do want it.

https://reverb.com/item/40386069-epi...5-natural-rare
I'd be more worried about the bridge doctor and the fact that it appears to have a non-stock replacement bridge on it. That's sending up red flags for me.

Last edited by CosmicOsmo; 05-19-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Can it do this too?

ALL of that. In our dreams.

CosmicOsmo had it right- the cedar top is gonna break up at higher intensity playing, your "hard driving strumming".

Clear bass, but not so much rumble.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars