The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-15-2021, 10:00 PM

Default NGD - Godin Montreal Premiere A/E

Old 04-16-2021, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Nice Godin...congrats!
Old 04-16-2021, 08:19 AM

Nice stuff, Godin - I own an all-acoustic 5th Avenue archtop and a CW II twin P-90 jazzbox, and I came this close to buying a Summit Classic (with the Duncan P-Rails) until they changed the body design (I preferred the original LP-style upper bout); given the acoustic/electric capability, you should be able to cover a lot of musical territory with a Montreal Premiere and the right amp...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 04-16-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Nice stuff, Godin - I own an all-acoustic 5th Avenue archtop and a CW II twin P-90 jazzbox, and I came this close to buying a Summit Classic (with the Duncan P-Rails) until they changed the body design (I preferred the original LP-style upper bout); given the acoustic/electric capability, you should be able to cover a lot of musical territory with a Montreal Premiere and the right amp...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Note: The little amp in the picture is not one I use. It was bought for my son when he started learning (he's since given up). Mine is a VT30 - not truly great, but pretty versatile.

But yeah, a new amp would be pretty sweet. Not on the cards, though.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:59 PM

Fantastic! Combination of a great looking guitar with great tone. Enjoy.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:09 PM

Very nice.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkyplayer View Post
Note: The little amp in the picture is not one I use. It was bought for my son when he started learning (he's since given up). Mine is a [Vox] VT30 - not truly great, but pretty versatile.

But yeah, a new amp would be pretty sweet. Not in the cards, though.
While I'm not normally a fan of modeling amps - for a variety of reasons - with the Montreal Premiere your VT30 may well serve the purpose of pointing you in the right direction, when it comes time to upgrade to something that'll complement both the acoustic and electric capabilities of your guitar; in the long run (and when you're ready) you'll want something with sufficient reserve power and headroom - FWIW big wattage in an amp isn't just about cranking up the volume to OSHA-hazard levels (something both Leo Fender and Everett Hull - founder of Ampeg - understood when they introduced the first high-power tube combos in the mid/late-1950's) - that'll allow you to explore your instrument's full tonal/dynamic potential without running out of gas, so to speak (PSA: prices are rapidly increasing on both new and used gear compared to a year or two ago, so you might want to begin your search as soon as funds permit)...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops