The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-05-2020, 10:04 AM

Default Strap Options for Classical/Flamenco Guitar

Is it a sin to put a standard endpin or even a screw-in pin on the end of my flamenco so I can use a regular guitar strap like my other guitars?

Would that screw up the resale value?

Or is there another alternative reliable method to attach a regular strap?
Old 05-05-2020, 10:18 AM

There are straps designed for classical guitars, I've tried two different ones, but didn't like either one. As to adding an end pin, depends on the guitar. I would not think of putting one on a luthier made concert level guitar, especially if you think you might want to sell or trade it. On a mass market product, however, say with a new price of under $500, I might consider it. In some cases it might actually be a selling point to some potential buyers. I don't think it would affect resale price too much in that case.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:07 AM

Here is the way I look at it.......if you require a strap to be able to play to your ability then use whatever you like. I have straps on my 2 nylon string guitars. They have the buttons on the bottom and on the heel of the neck just like my steel string acoustic guitars.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
...As to adding an end pin, depends on the guitar. I would not think of putting one on a luthier made concert level guitar, especially if you think you might want to sell or trade it...
It's a Manuel Rodriguez FF flamenco. I go back and forth on whether or not I want to sell or trade it. I haven't devoted a lot of time to it in the past in favor of my steel string guitars, but with some hand pain and stiffness developing (age related ) I've been giving it more attention lately. If playing a nylon string guitar helps, it'll be a keeper. The jury is still out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Here is the way I look at it.......if you require a strap to be able to play to your ability then use whatever you like. I have straps on my 2 nylon string guitars. They have the buttons on the bottom and on the heel of the neck just like my steel string acoustic guitars.
I agree. If I decide to keep the guitar, I'm not worried about how it would affect the resale value much (if it would at all). I'm just trying to get a handle on that now.

For the time being, I've been considering trying a suction cup to see how that works. I'm not playing out at this point and most of my practicing is done sitting at home right now...If the cup doesn't hold, the guitar won't hit the floor. Has anyone here tried this?
Old 05-06-2020, 09:59 AM

I just found this. I'll give the suction cups a go...trying the easiest solution first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3H0V_qhzEA
Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
I just found this. I'll give the suction cups a go...trying the easiest solution first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3H0V_qhzEA
Good idea and thanks for sharing the video. Good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical