The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:18 PM

That's a fine song .. With heartfelt lyrics.

The Spire is inspiring
Old 12-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Default Well done Captain

Fine work there Captain
Rick
Old 12-24-2018, 06:48 AM

Test recording with a single Oktava MK-012 Mic.
Spire Studio input 1.
Mic was placed about 8-10 inches from guitar as shown in photo.

Although I think it sounds pretty good (note my grin).. I know there's room for improvement for the recording... not on the playing..

Comments and input welcome.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:06 AM

Help! My Spire decided to drop the #1 XLR input! Mic and #2 are fine. Changed cords and mics and it’s no longer cooperative. And the Spire folks are on a holiday break and whine whine whine........
Thinking I could take it back to GC today though I am sure they do not have one in stock.
Even though I have an issue, I simply want it to work. This thing is simply too nice to not have. Really like this product.
Now I am jealous of you folks again, but i’ll Be back.......

And that is a nice tune Captain Jim.....makes me want to write
Old 12-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Oh man!

Are you sure you don't have the input muted some how?

Maybe blast some compressed air in the jack?

That's all I got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Help! My Spire decided to drop the #1 XLR input! Mic and #2 are fine. Changed cords and mics and it’s no longer cooperative. And the Spire folks are on a holiday break and whine whine whine........
Thinking I could take it back to GC today though I am sure they do not have one in stock.
Even though I have an issue, I simply want it to work. This thing is simply too nice to not have. Really like this product.
Now I am jealous of you folks again, but i’ll Be back.......

And that is a nice tune Captain Jim.....makes me want to write
Old 12-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Don’t think so... getting ready to record and noticed the #1 input was showing some input, like static or a hum (guessing). Even with nothing plugged in.....normal on input#2. Took it back to GC they put another one on order for me. Spire says it’s on back order until about January 20th. Guess I will wait.
In the space of about 30 days I have totally changed my PA system (still have the L1 ) and working with a digital mixer and now using the OnSong system. So I still have lots to deal with.
Tried the SoundCloud app and can see its going to be an issue. Not sure how I can post a tune and then play it back.....
Old 12-24-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Hope for fixing

JJ, hope it can be remedied! Jake, incredible guitar tone with the mic. I’m going to set up a couple of Sure condensers later and work on placement and tone here too.
Merry Christmas to all
Rick
Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 PM

Default This Iron Road

Here’s an original recording. This Iron Road. My co-writer, Taylor James McKinnon and I write this a while ago. 2 Sure PGA 181 mics, a D18GE, and me.
This was all done on the Spire. I heard some things I’d change performance wise, but the fidelity is outstanding, and I probably recorded a bit too crisp.
Hope you enjoy
https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/iron-road-1
Merry Christmas all
Rick
Old 12-25-2018, 02:07 PM

And I couldn't resist - just ordered a Spire, can't wait for it to get here!
Old 12-25-2018, 02:28 PM

I purchased one for my wife, who is a songwriter and often uses scraps of paper or sometimes a little dictation recorder to grab ideas. I'm also looking at getting one for myself, even though I am conversant with DAWs, due to the high convenience factor. More often than not I have a little idea that is not quite formed enough to record 'traditionally' yet those ideas are the easiest to lose.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Help! I got my Spire. Hope to record with it on Thursday. But in exploring the iPad app, I created three (inadvertently) blank projects. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to delete the blank projects. There is an option to delete all music on the Spire which I tried but it did not get rid of the blank projects.

It looks like a quality piece of equipment but I think the documentation needs improvement.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-25-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Help! I got my Spire. Hope to record with it on Thursday. But in exploring the iPad app, I created three (inadvertently) blank projects. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to delete the blank projects. There is an option to delete all music on the Spire which I tried but it did not get rid of the blank projects.

It looks like a quality piece of equipment but I think the documentation needs improvement.
Here you go..

When looking at your Project List, swipe the project you wish to delete to the LEFT to reveal a DELETE button. Press DELETE to remove the project from the list.

https://www.spire.live/en/support/us...a-project.html
Old 12-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Here you go..

When looking at your Project List, swipe the project you wish to delete to the LEFT to reveal a DELETE button. Press DELETE to remove the project from the list.

https://www.spire.live/en/support/us...a-project.html
Thanks Jake!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-26-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Thanks Jake!
Glad to help.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

So after playing around with just the Spire IOS app for a while, I decided to try the Spire, see if it really improved on just using the app, and then see if I wanted to keep it or not.

It's definitely a keeper. Easiest multi-track recording I've ever been able to do. And the sound of both my acoustic guitar and vocals are better using some of their filters (basically just the first two under "spaces") than just recording into my apogee mic with the app. The soundcheck feature is really nice, very effective. And I'm happy enough with just the internal mic that I don't see buying any mics unless I decide it matters to be able to sing and play at the same time into two separate mics, but my singing really doesn't warrant that sort of expense!

I don't like the electric guitar effects at all - I do much MUCH better just playing through my pedals and amp and running the speaker emulated line out from my amp into one of the instrument plugs on the back. Much better sound IMHO. Really freaking great sound actually - best electric guitar sound I've ever managed to record!

After using it a bit, I have a few questions for some of you more experienced folks.

1. Is the actual music stored in the app or on the Spire? I recorded some stuff with the app on my iPad connected to the Spire, then switched to my iPhone and was surprised that none of the songs showed up there. So I figured the music was stored on the IOS device, not the Spire. Since my iPhone has a ton more memory than my iPad, I exported the stuff on the iPad and figured I'd just use the iPhone going forward. When I imported them onto the iPhone, I could listen to them just with the app. But then when I'd connect to the Spire and try to work on one, it was like the song had to then upload from the phone to the Spire before I could do anything with it? So I'm still fully confused about where the data lives. And whether I can fill up the Spire's memory by leaving a bunch of songs on my iPhone that have also been connected to (and seemingly uploaded to) the Spire??? Any thoughts are appreciated...

2. I haven't figured out the "trim" feature yet - every time I try to use it I end up deleting the whole track. I probably just need to play around with that a bit more.

3. When I'm in the mix screen, sometimes if I grab one of the tracks to move it around in the mix, a little label shows up at the top of the screen that says something like 'hold to force solo' or something - I'm sure I have that wrong because I haven't seen it in a little while, but it's something like that. Any idea what that would be? I was thinking it might have something to do with my wish to be able to vary the level of a track in the mix at different points in the song, like bring it up for a solo break and keep it more in the background under vocal sections. But I haven't seen it near enough to figure out what to do with it.

I think there's at least one other thing I meant to ask about, but I'm spacing it out at the moment. There are a couple of features I'd love to see, one of which would probably require different hardware, one could probably be easily done in firmware, but neither of them are deal-breakers given the many advantages of this little unit for a "recreational" player like me.

Outside chance I'll post an instrumental at some point, but my voice will never leave the house! I've recorded a couple of things where my singing is less horrible than usual and it sounded OK in my headphones while recording. But then when I sent a mix to my phone and played it through a bluetooth speaker, it was still embarrassingly bad. So nobody but my poor long suffering wife will ever hear anything with vocals on it!

-Ray
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD