The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-23-2020, 10:42 PM

Default Best Practices & Tips for Video Lessons?

I'm sure a lot of us are doing video lessons for the first time given the COVID situation. I want to keep taking lessons, so my teacher and I are trying video lessons. In a nutshell, I'm hoping to get some tips on how to make the video and audio work so that we can actually play together during the lesson.

I use Zoom for work and I love it, but tried it for a music lesson and it was not great. The video quality was not good, not was the audio quality. In fact, when one of us played, we could not hear the other. I think the Zoom platform is overwhelmed given the huge upswing in usage.

We tried FaceTime and that was better, both in terms of video and sound quality. Oddly, my teacher said the sound came through better when using the MacBook Pro built-in mic than when I used my Apogee iMic 96K. I was surprised by this. We could play at the same time, but it was not clear enough to actually play together if you know what I mean.

Any tips from others using video lessons, so that teacher and student can actually play at the same time and hear each other?
Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 PM

I'm interested in this too.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:37 PM

My daughter and I both take guitar lessons @ the same time, with the same instructor (usually, in person of course).

Last week, we tried to get into a Zoom with our instructor, and the delay was too great, between what we played and what we heard through bluetooth headsets.

Facetime was much better, however two different headsets bluetoothed into a single phone, while possible, also didn't work too well. What was acceptable, was one pair of Air Pods, bluetoothed into a single phone with Facetime, but one in her ear, and one in mine.

I'm interested in learning how others are doing this, so we can improve it in future lessons.

My son did a Facetime session with his phone and his bluetooth Bose headset, and the instructor said it was his best lesson ever (although.. since he'd been sheltering in place, he's practiced more than he usually does).

Thanks for posting the question!
Old 03-24-2020, 01:10 AM

Used Zoom today. Excellent platform.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 PM
Dan - Charter Member

There is a setting in Zoom called "Preserve Original Sound" which turns off audio enhancements. I read today that turning this off can reduce some distortion when music is transmitted.

This setting is not available on the free accounts, apparently, and is also only on desktop clients (I've read).

More details: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...Original-Sound

Last edited by dhalbert; 03-24-2020 at 09:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write