The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Should I be concerned?

Just picked up an 05 00-18V. Action is a little high as you go up the neck, but not major and I haven’t done a setup on the guitar at all yet. My concern is the neck joint. There’s a slight gap at the end of the heel, as pictured. I can get a small piece of receipt in there but nothing any thicker. Also, around the bottom of the bridge, there is a slight gap on the corners. The neck angle seems possibly within reason (a 12 inch ruler hits right on the bridge just as it slopes to the saddle - should I get a longer ruler though?).

I’ve read that these are possibly all normal for Martins. I’ve also read where people have said they needed a neck reset. I should probably take it in to a tech, but I’m planning on letting it acclimate in a properly humidified environment to see if that alleviates any of the issues since I’m leaving for vacation day after tomorrow for a week. I’ve spoken with the seller, but the neck gap is a new discovery I hadn’t noticed before.

Anyway, should I be concerned? I paid less than what they are currently going for, but none of this was disclosed in the ad.

Last edited by jajafofo; 06-20-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Geez, sorry for the huge pic!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 PM

I am not a luthier, but I would make a mark on that piece of paper and remeasure every few weeks. If it gets worse you'll need a saddle reglue.

If the guitar was under warranty I'd take it in now.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made

Last edited by Scootch; 06-20-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Here’s another pic. Is this normal?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

A crisp dollar bill will slide in with a little force.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Heel

Nope, not acceptable. Time to return it.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM

On seeing the second hour, I’d take it in, or return it.

If it blows under pressure, a lot of top might be ruined. A Luthier can cleanly remove the saddle and reglue for $2-250.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajafofo View Post
Just picked up an 05 00-18V. Action is a little high as you go up the neck, but not major and I haven’t done a setup on the guitar at all yet. My concern is the neck joint. There’s a slight gap at the end of the heel, as pictured. I can get a small piece of receipt in there but nothing any thicker. Also, around the bottom of the bridge, there is a slight gap on the corners. The neck angle seems possibly within reason (a 12 inch ruler hits right on the bridge just as it slopes to the saddle - should I get a longer ruler though?).

I’ve read that these are possibly all normal for Martins. I’ve also read where people have said they needed a neck reset. I should probably take it in to a tech, but I’m planning on letting it acclimate in a properly humidified environment to see if that alleviates any of the issues since I’m leaving for vacation day after tomorrow for a week. I’ve spoken with the seller, but the neck gap is a new discovery I hadn’t noticed before.

Anyway, should I be concerned? I paid less than what they are currently going for, but none of this was disclosed in the ad.
Here is your picture reduced:

9MsJva0 Reduced.jpg
Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 PM
G625 mistral-k

Yes you should be concerned. I had the same issue several years ago and it was covered under the warranty. I sent in a similar picture to the guitar maker. Roundtrip shipping would have cost $150 and the guitar would be gone for nearly two weeks. A local luthier tech, who was well known repaired it for $25 and I picked it up the next day.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:54 AM

Yes, you should be concerned. You’ve got a neck separating from the body and a bridge that’s lifting at the corners. It doesn’t matter what kind of setup you do on it the action is only going to get worse unless these problems are addressed.

If you can return the guitar and get a full refund then that is what I would do.

Yes, the problems can be fixed, but presumably the price you paid was for what you believed to be an instrument in a condition that didn’t require repair!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion