The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 PM

Seems like the boutique maker would be willing to make another guitar if the seller issues a refund. Seller refuses a refund, which is somewhat understandable given the length of time between delivery and locating the problem.

If I were in that spot I would write to the owner(s), or if it is truly a boutique then the luthier.

Barring any progress there I'd take the hit and sell it to finance another one.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
This is the correct answer. The entire situation is ridiculous and if it were me I would be owning a nice little guitar company by the time the dust settled. As someone who sells a lot of high end merchandise in my business, the manufacturer is the one who ultimately is on the hook for this. If your friend wanted a higher level guitar, he should have had to handle it through the original dealer or directly, but no matter what happened, a new guitar should have been made. The dealer not giving a refund should be irrelevant and sounds like a copout.

If your friend paid with a credit card, he has the right to dispute the charges. When this happens, the CC company immediately takes the money from the dealer and puts it into an escrow account until the dispute is settled, and notifies the dealer of the details of the dispute. If your friend has copies of an email where they admit the item was "not as described", he will submit that in his dispute and I would think it will be very hard for the dealer/manufacturer to win out and get their money back. They will also have to pay fees associated with the CC company researching the claims.

If the facts are as you are presenting them, it's just bad on many levels. Even the fact that they would email him and tell him they aren't going to stand behind it is a piss poor way to treat a customer. Hiding behind email is the cowards way to deal with it.
If you agree with me, then you agree that the focus needs to be on the manufacturer, and why they fell down on their lifetime warranty to the original owner.

Opening a dispute with the credit card company is only going to punish the dealer he bought it from, and we agree that the dealer should be insulated from this problem since it has been well over a month since it left the store.

He needs to get the manufacturer to honor the darn warranty, rebuild him a guitar, and transfer the lifetime warranty over to the new serial #. Leave the dealer out of it.

Or am I missing something ?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 PM

The dealer is also being disingenuous. Three days and no return privileges. Give me a break. If your friend didn’t pay with a CC they could always take them to small claims court.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
So what I am gleaning from the original post is that a guy took delivery of a new guitar and for an entire month the guitar seemed fine and then the dead note made it's entrance. He contacted the dealer and the dealer responded after three days and said basically contact the manufacturer. Then is sounds as though after agreeing that there was an issue and agreeing that he should get a new replacement guitar (inlay issues separate), they reneged at some point and decided that they were not responsible somehow. [..]
Well, they did offer to fix it. Customer declined.
In order to qualify as a lemon, it must have a substantial defect covered by the warranty that occurred within a certain period of time, and not be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
The dealer is also being disingenuous. Three days and no return privileges. Give me a break. If your friend didn’t pay with a CC they could always take them to small claims court.
It wasn't 3 days later, it was OVER A MONTH. Re-read the 1st post of the OP, ~ 3rd line down.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-21-2018 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 PM

Why are we so quick to sing the praises of a guitar builder or dealer here, but when something goes wrong we clam up and send PMs to each other?

What if someone is experiencing the same issue with this dealer? Shouldn't we all be armed with that information so that we can make an informed decision?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
Why are we so quick to sing the praises of a guitar builder or dealer here, but when something goes wrong we clam up and send PMs to each other?

What if someone is experiencing the same issue with this dealer? Shouldn't we all be armed with that information so that we can make an informed decision?
Just so you know, I asked for a PM but didn't get one.
Still have no idea what maker the OP is referring to or the dealer.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-20-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Just so you know, I asked for a PM but didn't get one.
Still have no idea what maker the OP is referring to or the dealer.
Hey Bruce - I just feel we should be transparent here without bashing. I hope you get your PM, but more importantly I hope that we can all have honest dialogue when things go wildly good or wildly bad.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I guess I need to clarify some misconceptions. The buyer does not expect any more nor any less of a guitar than he already paid for. He just told the Manufacturer he really liked the fancier guitar, to witch the manufacturer said that he could get any additional appointments on his new guitar that he was willing to pay for. That was when there was a resolution in place.

I too am somewhat perplexed with what the dealer would have to do with it. Weather the manufacturer might expect the dealer to own the guitar or not, we are not privy too. That is why I am not to the point of naming names.

The buyer is worried I may be screwing up what he still hopes will be a satisfactory outcome. When the fat lady sings, I may then reevaluate my view on the matter.

I have gotten what I originally wanted, witch was an overall take on what folks think is reasonable.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 AM

I do not understand wby is it necessary fpr the dealer to agree to a refund and if he refuses to do sp, then rhe manufacturer's offer to build him.a new one is rescinded. Why does the dealer have to refund the money at all? If he refunds rhe money to the customer that means the sale is reversed, he takes back the defective guitar and returns it to the manufacturer and that is the end of it - there is no rebuilding required from.the manufacturer.

On the other hand, if the manufacturer builds the customer a new guitar, then the customer surrenders the defective guitar directly to the manufacturer and gets a new one in return. The dealer keeps the money he received from the customer and there is no question of a refund because rhe manufacture has admitted fault for building a defective product.

So to me, the issue of a refund by the dealer and the issue of building a new guitar to replace the defective one are two different issues altogether.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

We'd like to keep this thread open, but all answers must be polite. The OP asked for opinions, so all are welcome.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls82261 View Post
Did you pay with a credit card? Card issuers have a lot of power and buyer protection.
Excellent point.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
If you agree with me, then you agree that the focus needs to be on the manufacturer, and why they fell down on their lifetime warranty to the original owner.

Opening a dispute with the credit card company is only going to punish the dealer he bought it from, and we agree that the dealer should be insulated from this problem since it has been well over a month since it left the store.

He needs to get the manufacturer to honor the darn warranty, rebuild him a guitar, and transfer the lifetime warranty over to the new serial #. Leave the dealer out of it.

Or am I missing something ?
No, you are not missing anything if my understanding is correct. I used to work for a large respected international company and we dealt with problems like this directly with the customer even though the product was sold through a dealer. Sometimes the dealer was involved and sometimes he wasn't. But we as the manufacturer stood behind the product, many times when the problem was not our fault. This was done to protect our reputation.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
No, you are not missing anything if my understanding is correct. I used to work for a large respected international company and we dealt with problems like this directly with the customer even though the product was sold through a dealer. Sometimes the dealer was involved and sometimes he wasn't. But we as the manufacturer stood behind the product, many times when the problem was not our fault. This was done to protect our reputation.
Right on - that's the way it should be and what a consumer of a high end article should expect. If sounds as if there is an issue between builder and dealer and that your friend has been caught in the middle. After 3 days, it becomes the builder's responsibility and the buck stops there at the builder's feet. Usually a dealer will assist the buyer and maybe even ship it for him, but it's the builders baby. I'd read my warranty very carefully and if it says what I'd expect, would ship it back to them to repair or replace as they see fit. If the owner is not happy with the repair even though it has been done right (ie - solves the dead note without impacting anything else), then it becomes his decision on what to do.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Your friend needs to get a good lawyer
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion