The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Incoming Froggy

Sold some little played guitars. Found a used Froggy that is what I was looking for.

P12. Walnut back and sides, Adi top. Mint condition (we'll see!).

This is the same specs as my incoming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCH73x-pglE

The waiting begins. Should be here tomorrow.

Been wanting on of these for a LONG time.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Congrats on your new guitar. I know what this anticipation feels like as I have an all Koa Taylor enroute. I am very interested in the sound and appearance of “alternative” woods and have heard good things about Walnut. Be sure to give a detailed review after you’ve played it for a while and pics if you can.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:14 PM

Yes.

Lots of the P12's were made with walnut, and all the videos I've watched / listened to were great. The reviews are always good as well.

It was hard to find one in this configuration. Glad I waited (so far). Tomorrow will tell.

3 day approval period.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM

I played an Adirondack over Walnut P12 that an acquaintance had. Nice little guitar.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:41 PM

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Tomorrow is the day.

Appears to be a lot of volume and tone from a small bodied guitar.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I played a P12 Froggy in Koa and Red Spruce a few months back. A fun guitar with a lot of spank and tone!! The bass is surprising for such a small instrument. It is really hard to go wrong with a Froggy Bottom!! Congrats!!!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Thank you.

The only other walnut back and sides guitar I ever was in contact with was a Gibson acoustic, and it was simply lacking.

The videos of the P12 in walnut sound nothing like that lack luster Gibson. Better bass response, nice depth to the trebles without being overly dominant.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Deacon. You should enjoy it. I have a bigger version H12 Walnut/Adi that’s outstanding. I’ve played a P12 with similar woods and thought it punched well above its weight. Congratulations.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:20 PM

Thanks, Paul!

My target was a parlor size without volume or tone sacrifice. From all I hear and read, the P12 was the right step.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Congrats! Love to read your impression.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Thank you.

The only other walnut back and sides guitar I ever was in contact with was a Gibson acoustic, and it was simply lacking.

The videos of the P12 in walnut sound nothing like that lack luster Gibson. Better bass response, nice depth to the trebles without being overly dominant.
You bought a Froggy based on the way it sounded on a video. I wish you all the luck in the world!!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Goodallboy,

That's a bit simplistic view, IMHO.

Yes, i watched many videos.

I also spoke to people I know who are not local who own them. Got their impressions and opinions, did one SKYPE with an owner.

I've been tracking ones that are and aren't available. It appears that when they become available used, they go pretty quickly.

And I have a 3 day approval period of the instrument.

So I'm comfortable with the situation.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Goodallboy,

That's a bit simplistic view, IMHO.

Yes, i watched many videos.

I also spoke to people I know who are not local who own them. Got their impressions and opinions, did one SKYPE with an owner.

I've been tracking ones that are and aren't available. It appears that when they become available used, they go pretty quickly.

And I have a 3 day approval period of the instrument.

So I'm comfortable with the situation.
I’m just a simplistic guy.

When you mentioned the video I assumed that heavily influenced your decision. Personally I don’t believe all models of ANY guitar sound alike so IMO listening to others peoples guitars tells me very little about the one I’m looking at buying, unless theirs is the one I’m buying. And then, if it were a fine guitar, I’d need to play in in my style to see if it sounded remotely like the other guy in his style. They ALL sound different in my experience.
After several Goodalls that I bought online taught me that they all don’t sound equally wonderful, I was impressed with your optimism and I thought I wised you well, but if it didn’t translate well, Good Luck!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM

Goodall -

No offense taken at all. I apologize if my post came off as abrupt, certainly not my intent.

All too often I've had to purchase a guitar I thought was 'right' without playing it first. I've been fortunate that I've never had a problem.

That being said, I do as much due diligence as I can. I also purchase from reputable, established dealers with an in writing return policy.

From what I have gleaned over the years, Froggys have great reputations. All of them? Probably not. Most of them? Seems that way.

We'll see. Worst case scenario is I don't bond with it or it is other than advertised, it shall return to the shop I purchased it from. No harm, no foul.

Hopefully that is not the case, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. At the cost of a Frog - even used - if I am not delighted, it won't be here long!

I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I love good videos. They might be processed, played in a perfect acoustic room, dropped d tunings and other enhancements but. I do love online screening with video's.

I have an iMac 27" with a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. I personally can glean an awful lot of info from videos and sound clips.

The first boutique guitar I ever played that floored me was an early 90's Froggy Parlor. That started me on the alternate production model tone road. I also once owned an incredible Martin CS, 00, Engl/Claro Walnut. A small guitar with deep tone and a warmth like a nylon string.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion