The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Default Would You ?

During the past three to four years, after retirement, I have purchased, sold and traded numerous guitars searching for "the one". During my search, I have parted with some very nice guitars that were keepers, but I continued the search.
After having ended the search ,with two guitars in my company, I am very content and blessed with what I have. ( a Froggy H-12 and Martin D-18VS)
When playing, I tend to go for the Martin, while the Froggy gets neglected.
My thoughts are to let go of the Martin and have only one guitar.I will admit that the Froggy is way above my skill level, but it plays so sweetly and sounds amazing to my ears.
Would you have a Froggy as an only guitar and play it in all situations that you would play a less costly guitar?
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Default Choices.......

If the Froggy calls you, there's your answer.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 06-18-2018, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

This question seems to contradict your statement, "when playing, I tend to go for the Martin."

Shouldn't you be asking if you should sell the Froggy? Especially if you are afraid of using it. You like having the Froggy but not using it. I find this an all too common but understandable sentiment. And please desist with the I'm not worthy world view. There is not and has never been a criteria for owning a fine guitar except the desire and money to own one.

It seems to me you are living in the best of both worlds, a car in the garage for those nice spring days, and a daily driver. So be happy.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
During the past three to four years, after retirement, I have purchased, sold and traded numerous guitars searching for "the one". During my search, I have parted with some very nice guitars that were keepers, but I continued the search.
After having ended the search ,with two guitars in my company, I am very content and blessed with what I have. ( a Froggy H-12 and Martin D-18VS)
My thoughts are to let go of the Martin and have only one guitar.I will admit that the Froggy is way above my skill level, but it plays so sweetly and sounds amazing to my ears.
Would you have a Froggy as an only guitar and play it in all situations that you would play a less costly guitar?
It never hurts to have a "beater". You never know when you'll be asked to play at a barbeque or campfire or in conditions that might be unknown or unexpected. You gonna take your Froggy?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM

I don't like the idea of only one guitar. Lots of reasons for two.
I will also ask why you would sell the Martin if it is your go to guitar?

Find something to replace the Froggy and stay a two guitar guy.
One Mahogany and perhaps one an OM Rosewood?
Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

If you have the secured space and can afford both guitars just relax. Play music.

Sounds like you are on the tail end of your GAS cycle. Nothing wrong with the two nice guitars you ended up with.
If you need the money or just don't want the apprehension of an expensive guitar at your home unplayed then you might want to sell it?
Not a big deal.
You can always find another cannon if GAS comes around again.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM

Yes, I would be playing the Froggy in all situations..............................because if I had a Froggy, I wouldn't be able to afford anything else.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
This question seems to contradict your statement, "when playing, I tend to go for the Martin."

Shouldn't you be asking if you should sell the Froggy? Especially if you are afraid of using it. You like having the Froggy but not using it. I find this an all too common but understandable sentiment. And please desist with the I'm not worthy world view. There is not and has never been a criteria for owning a fine guitar except the desire and money to own one.

It seems to me you are living in the best of both worlds, a car in the garage for those nice spring days, and a daily driver. So be happy.
Hmmm, my feelings are my own.
I am not afraid of using the Froggy, in fact that was my intent in selling the Martin.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-19-2018 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Good points all the way around, thanks.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
If you have the secured space and can afford both guitars just relax. Play music.
Completely agree, if you can afford to do so, keep both. Live the dream. Enjoy it! And take pictures so we can live vicariously.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

If you find yourself playing the Martin, why would you think of selling the Martin? color me boggled

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 06-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Two very nice and very different instruments - 12 frets - good, 1 & 3/4" nut - too thin for the designs but if they suit you - then ok.

A 000 and a dread are very different - the Martin will give you a good healthy bass and makes a great flat-picker. the Froggie will give you a more balanced and purer tone and is better suited to finger-style (but not limited to that).

Here is my comparison between a 12 fret dread and my 000 (both sitka/EIR.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
...Would you have a Froggy as an only guitar...?
What, are you crazy?

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Bradley,

My #1 is a Froggy Bottom SJ in BRW/Adi and I take it to family gatherings, including a campfire sing along a couple of years ago (granted, not a rowdy crowd). I like to use the Mark Twain quote "If you put all your eggs in one basket, watch that basket"!

I cannot imagine not having mahogany and rosewood to choose from. I love the sound of the Martin D-18VS but the V neck and I do not get on. I also have an FB H-12 that is sublime, but I find myself drawn to larger guitars; is this your case as well?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:27 PM

You say "the Froggy is way above your skill level." I say perfect. That's right where you want to be.

A guitar described that way will always take you places that a lesser guitar won't. It's very simple to me, if one plays guitar then they deserve the very best guitar one can afford.

It's a pleasure to reach for a quality guitar, every time you play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion