The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Just for fun, tell me how your guitars are “safer” on the wall than in the case.
Three specific areas (more than just for fun - this is legit and I've mentioned it several times)

First - humidity control.

I am a humidity fanatic. My certified master calibration lab engineers run an internal weather station network of hygrometers so I have access to all kinds of humidity info and am surrounded by humidity awareness and expertise. Many people keep their guitars in a case and humidify the case. I even do this on an emergency basis. I am intimately familiar - I even posted incase humidifier design ideas.

A room is full of dry air but the case is properly humidified. When you pull the guitar out of the case, you exchange all the air inside the case with dry air, so the case's air has to be re-humidified itself. You cannot monitor or watch the humidifier or the guitar inside the case without opening the case, which dries the air inside the case.

If the guitar was in a humidified room, you would not have to compromise the humidity to check the humidity.

Second - case bites

My guitars are in a closed room safe from kids and pets and all traffic. So there is no movement or motion near a hanging guitar except when my hand is on it to get it or return it.

I've personally been the victim of case bites. I've read numerous similar stories on AGF. This is where the case lid falls while moving a guitar in our out of the case (jostling the case causes the lid to close).

The metal clasp acts like a mini guillotine and bites into the guitar.

Like I said this is not imaginary - it seems pretty common to me.

Third - stepon dangers

Cases on the floor can tip over, fall over and get tripped on and stepped on. This is a nuisance because cases take up so much room. I've tripped and accidentally stepped on a case (fortunately no damage).

The second and third are multiplied because of all the times you have to move a guitar in and out of a case.

Again, I believe the only answer is that everyone's own answer is specific to their situation. I don't like when people unequivocally mandate that the "best" way has to be their way.

All of the "safety" arguments seem to revolve around either 1) physical damage to the guitar because it is exposed or 2) dropping onto the floor.

If you have no motion, movement, traffic, people or pets, then there is probably no danger. If you keep a guitar in a case, it is away from that. What if you keep it in a humidified guitar cabinet? What about a guitar closet? What about a locked guitar room? What about a locked room? What about a locked house?

So, in my mind, the strongest argument against hangers is the falling argument. And that is a valid argument and because the guitars are up in the air they seem to be endangered. But the likelihood of falling is pretty tiny so for me (and only me) the benefits outweigh the risks.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 06-20-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Three specific areas (more than just for fun - this is legit and I've mentioned it several times)

I am a humidity fanatic. My certified master calibration lab engineers run an internal weather station network of hygrometers so I have access to all kinds of humidity info and am surrounded by humidity awareness and expertise.

Many people keep their guitars in a case and humidify the case. I even do this on an emergency basis. I am intimately familiar - I even posted incase humidifier design ideas.

The room is full of dry air but the case is properly humidified. When you pull the guitar out of the case, you exchange all the air inside the case with dry air, so the case's air has to be re-humidified itself.

You cannot monitor or watch the humidifier or the guitar inside the case without opening the case, which dries the air inside the case.

If the guitar was in a humidified room, you would not have to compromise the humidity to check the humidity.

second - case bites

My guitars are in a closed room safe from kids and pets and all traffic. So there is no movement or motion near a hanging guitar except when my hand is on it to get it or return it.

I've personally been the victim of case bites. I've read numerous similar stories on AGF. This is where the case lid falls while moving a guitar in our out of the case (jostling the case causes the lid to close).

third - stepon dangers

Cases on the floor can tip over, fall over and get tripped on and stepped on. This is a nuisance because cases take up so much room. I've tripped and accidentally stepped on a case (fortunately no damage).

The second and third and multiplied because of all the times you have to move a guitar in and out of a case.
Again subjective perception

Whatever benefit there is to a humidified room will exist regardless of whether the guitars are on the wall or in the case

"Case bites" are a function of not paying attention to lid when placing or removing the guitar NOT a function of being in the case
And are basically no different than the potential for "wall bangs"

A dedicated "safe room" from pets and kids is the same for being on the wall or in the case

Cases in a rack, or leaning against a wall, or in a closet are not likely to be stepped on.
If you walk close enough to wall to brush against a case leaning on a wall you are getting close enough to brush a hanging guitar.

You do not have to move a guitar in and out of case, any more often than you have to remove and replace it on a wall . Both situations have the potential for inadvertent accidental damage

Your perception of safer on wall is highly subjective
As is you anecdotal evidence
I have seen a customer in a guitar shop trip (with no obstacle on the floor) and crash into wall of guitars severely damaging 5 or 6

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
..Your perception of safer on wall is highly subjective ..
I agree completely.

I only suggest that my preference is only best for me.

My dialogue was meant to just illustrate an idea that went beyond guitar storage. I was trying to suggest that everyone's own preference is what is best for them. But my point was missed and folks dug their heels in even harder to argue that everyone with a different preference is a wrongful human being.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-20-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:

I am a humidity fanatic. My certified master calibration lab engineers run an internal weather station network of hygrometers so I have access to all kinds of humidity info and am surrounded by humidity awareness and expertise. Many people keep their guitars in a case and humidify the case. I even do this on an emergency basis. I am intimately familiar - I even posted incase humidifier design ideas.

A room is full of dry air but the case is properly humidified. When you pull the guitar out of the case, you exchange all the air inside the case with dry air, so the case's air has to be re-humidified itself. You cannot monitor or watch the humidifier or the guitar inside the case without opening the case, which dries the air inside the case.

Second - case bites

Third - stepon dangers

The second and third are multiplied because of all the times you have to move a guitar in and out of a case.

Again, I believe the only answer is that everyone's own answer is specific to their situation. I don't like when people unequivocally mandate that the "best" way has to be their way.

All of the "safety" arguments seem to revolve around either 1) physical damage to the guitar because it is exposed or 2) dropping onto the floor.

If you have no motion, movement, traffic, people or pets, then there is probably no danger. If you keep a guitar in a case, it is away from that. What if you keep it in a humidified guitar cabinet? What about a guitar closet? What about a locked guitar room? What about a locked room? What about a locked house?

So, in my mind, the strongest argument against hangers is the falling argument. And that is a valid argument and because the guitars are up in the air they seem to be endangered. But the likelihood of falling is pretty tiny so for me (and only me) the benefits outweigh the risks.
Regarding humidity, it seems you are suggesting that those that store their guitars in cases don’t also use a room or whole house humidifier. I happen to use both in the dryer months in my region. I monitor the humidity in both the case and the room. I don’t see how this topic is even related to wall hangers.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM

This is really pretty amusing. 9 pages on a thread posted as a “WARNING”, and we don’t even get to see a picture of the broken wall bracket or a brand name of that wall bracket or much of anything else except people’s opinions of how you should or shouldn’t store your guitars. What say we get back on topic and hear and see a little more about that bracket? Maybe like a photo of exactly what broke?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie2blue View Post
This is really pretty amusing. 9 pages on a thread posted as a “WARNING”, and we don’t even get to see a picture of the broken wall bracket or a brand name of that wall bracket or much of anything else except people’s opinions of how you should or shouldn’t store your guitars. What say we get back on topic and hear and see a little more about that bracket? Maybe like a photo of exactly what broke?
Why, we have no photos, no brand info, not even a response from the OP. What is not to question??? Should not a post claiming product fault and property damage be investigated to help members to not make the same mistake??? Oh, okay I have to go now, my guitar just exploded....

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-20-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Comment on mod action
Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Definitely better on the wall than in my Schrödinger's case, where the guitar is always in a state of being broken and not broken until I open the lid.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Definitely better on the wall than in my Schrödinger's case, where the guitar is always in a state of being broken and not broken until I open the lid.
I never considered this!!! Plus, by observation, you are also affecting the measurement. :/
Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree completely.

I only suggest that my preference is only best for me.

My dialogue was meant to just illustrate an idea that went beyond guitar storage. I was trying to suggest that everyone's own preference is what is best for them. But my point was missed and folks dug their heels in even harder to argue that everyone with a different preference is a wrongful human being.
Ah got it , sal good the internets is so easy to mis-com-uni-cate

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Perhaps but then question is, when on the wall is it as a particle, or a wave ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Second - case bites

Third - stepon dangers

I knew this would be fun.

If you live in a house with “no motion, movement, traffic, people or pets” that is one unusual house. And since you probably misspoke or I misunderstood, there is movement, motion and people, hanging guitars on a wall is far more risky than placing them in a case. In 40 yrs. I’m yet to drop the case latch on it, or trip over the case. If I tripped over my Ameritage case, the only thing hurt would be me.

You’ve rationalized your preference, and that’s as valid as mine, but to say guitars hung on a wall are safer than in a case is simply incorrect. Guitar stores don’t hang them up because it’s safer, they hang them up to sell them. They get beat up because they’re hanging there and if they were in the case, they’d be “as new”. But because they wouldn’t be purchased they’re hung on the wall and placed at risk.

I’m not the guitar police and anyone can do anything they wish with their guitars. There is no statute I’m aware of and no one here is trying to dictate behavior. One takes an added risk by having a guitar out of it’s case on a stand, or on the wall. They do it for a perceived pay-off. Most just admit that and don’t go further.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 PM

Did the OP ever disclose the brand of hangar? Too many comments to wade through....
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Did the OP ever disclose the brand of hangar? Too many comments to wade through....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Additional information - the wall hanger broke. Not where it was screwed to the wall - I made sure to screw the hanger into a stud. the way the hanger is made it has a metal yoke with a slight key at the end. To insert the yoke into the bracket you have to turn it upside down, so that the key on the yoke lines up with a key slot on the bracket. The problem is the part of the bracket this metal yoke slides into is made of plastic. I don't know why, but the round hole somehow got oval-ed out. This left enough room for the shaft of the yoke to slide out, even though it has the small key bump on the end.
No, he did not disclose the brand of hangar, but, as I interpret it and repeat it based on hat's comments above it was the type of wall hanger where the shaft (yoke) of the U-shaped holder fits into a plastic hole in the base. The shaft has a tab (key) that fits into a slot in the hole when the holder is turned upside down. Once inserted, the holder would be turned around and be secured by the tab - like inserting the bottom U-shaped holder of an inexpensive guitar stand. The plastic hole in the base, that secured the tab, became worn at the top such that the tab did not stay in the hole and the shaft fell out of the base allowing the holder and the guitar to fall.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 PM

Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
, as I interpret it and repeat it based on hat's comments above it was the type of wall hanger where the shaft (yoke) of the U-shaped holder fits into a plastic hole in the base. The shaft has a tab (key) that fits into a slot in the hole when the holder is turned upside down. Once inserted, the holder would be turned around and be secured by the tab - like inserting the bottom U-shaped holder of an inexpensive guitar stand. The plastic hole in the base, that secured the tab, became worn at the top such that the tab did not stay in the hole and the shaft fell out of the base allowing the holder and the guitar to fall.
My more or less "real" job is as an editor, and as such I tip my hat to you.

Your analysis/explication is very clearly and efficiently written.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
No, he did not disclose the brand of hangar, but, as I interpret it and repeat it based on hat's comments above it was the type of wall hanger where the shaft (yoke) of the U-shaped holder fits into a plastic hole in the base. The shaft has a tab (key) that fits into a slot in the hole when the holder is turned upside down. Once inserted, the holder would be turned around and be secured by the tab - like inserting the bottom U-shaped holder of an inexpensive guitar stand. The plastic hole in the base, that secured the tab, became worn at the top such that the tab did not stay in the hole and the shaft fell out of the base allowing the holder and the guitar to fall.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Or, oh wait, maybe I did. LOL - as for the ones that are so overly concerned about pictures, there really isn't much to see. I am talking to the company about the issue, and so far they have responded appropriately. I see no reason to throw them under the bus just yet - this could very well be a one off instance. My only intent was to warn folks that are using wall hangers to check them periodically, don't just assume they are fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion