The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

I look forward to meeting whatsername, she must be quite a character!

By the way, the Soloist is Adirondack spruce over Australian Blackwood with Bocote’ binding. I just cleaned up the fret path and put new strings on it; couldn’t be happier.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-04-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

There’s one of those “who is the best?” threads running in the main forum, and usually my name doesn’t come up, but this time it has a few times, which I am honored by. Not my place to post in that thread, somehow, but somebody said something I want to dissagree with, so I will say over here.

They said:

“It's not rocket science and building a great guitar is a skill that can be learned. It's not mystical like the sword makers Of Galnihar.”

I would agree except for the word “great”. I think that building great Guitars is “rocket science” at the very least. While most people probably could learn to make a serviceable guitar, I see a great deal of evidence that the next level is something else again. It is more than mere mechanics and putting in the time, and requires a special aptitude, or “talent”. For me, there is a mystical quality. In fact I consciously build every guitar with the intention that it will serve as a home for Duende, the firey spirit of flamenco dance and music, among other things. As I conceive Duende, it is exactly that extra something that bridges the gap between the mundane and greatness. Of course I can only make the potential abode and offer an invitation, Duende must choose to inhabit, and, as the story goes, can be forced to depart again if the guitar gets into unfriendly hands.

Perhaps surprisingly, I did not make this up, it is a part of the Spanish guitar making tradition! Next time you play one of my guitars, give Duende another thought.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:10 PM

I don’t know about Duende, but I, as I think you, disagree with the idea that the ability to build a great guitar is a skill that can be learned by anyone. I guess it depends on your definition of “great”. I think building a great instrument requires a special talent - the ability to combine artistry and craftmanship into an instrument that sounds great; looks great; and responds in a particular way to a musicians touch. Many people can learn, note for note, how to play a song - but it takes talent to be able to play that song with feeling - with soul - that goes beyond mere skill or learning. I think the luthiers I know on this forum have that particular talent to build great instruments.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 AM

I think expanding the idea on a great guitar should include built to last. I won't say that I made a great guitar but when Bruce made his walnut guitar I made mine also. The notes seemed to spring off the top, everyone I had play it was impressed. But the top deformed and the bridge peeled off. I need to replace the bridge plate and see what happens.

I think building a great guitar aside from using good wood takes someone technically competent and has a good idea how the guitar functions. They need a good ear to pick out the individual qualities of the notes produced by the guitar and the experience of building a lot of good guitars and determining why the one sounds better than the others. I think this forms into a sort of intuition on how much to leave and take away, reading the materials and having an idea what you can get out of them. Among other things my brother is good at photograph. Technically he can compose a good picture. But he cam to the realization that he does not have that little thing that capture a a moment, a feel. The people at the top of their game just have that something extra, maybe see their art just a little differently than the rest of us (us meaning Bruce excluded).
Old 05-08-2018, 06:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am in the last stages of packing for the trip to La Conner, WA. I will have my wife Linda with me on this one, and we have spoken for what appears to be a charming room with a view of the harbor and a block or so from the venue. I have never been to La Conner, so there could be surprises. We hope to arrive in time for the luthier dinner on Thursday, but it is over 1000 miles in 2 days so there is uncertainty. I KNOW you know what I'm talking about, but here's the website: La Conner Guitar Show.

I have fit five guitars into my car, though they won't all be on my table:

I will have the JB-L00 I made specifically for this event.

The AGF dread.

The 2004 Schoenberg Soloist in Adirondack and Australian Blackwood. (post 44 in this thread)

a 2 year old L00 in Pernambuco and Italian recently traded in. KILLER!

a 5 year old Redwood/Black Walnut FT-15.5 Kerala.

If you're reading this and you come to the show, please say hello and introduce yourself.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-08-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Have a great trip...

I suspect that you will return from La Conner a few guitars lighter...
Old 05-09-2018, 08:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Have a great trip...

I suspect that you will return from La Conner a few guitars lighter...
A man can dream.

We are in Eugene Oregon, having driven nearly 550 miles today. Siri says we have 350 to go. If we leave around 9 am we should get in by 3 pm which would be nicely relaxed. Luthier dinner is at 6, I think.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Doesn't th shiw start at 9:30 tomorrow?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Oops, I'm a day ahead of myself...
Old 05-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Oops, I'm a day ahead of myself...
Better than late.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Doesn't th shiw start at 9:30 tomorrow?
Oh, my heart. . .
Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

We arrived at 3 pm. Checked into the Channel Lodge, with a view of the harbor from the room. Set up my table in Maple Hall. It’s 5 now, and we’re relaxing in our room for a while before heading for the Luthier Dinner, which turns out to be at 7.

There is no cuter town than La Conner in my experience. Of course it has succumbed to tourism, but it seems more quaint than ruined. I wonder how I’ll feel after 3 days of this? Pretty good if I sell something, I bet.

Oh, and the show starts at the same very civilized hour each day: 11 am.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a good time--maybe next year for me.

Good luck, and have fun, Bruce!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Back from the Luthier dinner. Decent food if not great. Good attendance. Talked for a long time with musician Paul Asbell, whom I have know for perhaps 15 years but not as well as I know him now. Mostly we discussed philosophical issues, my kind of guy. Also spent time with Sparky, named Randall Kramer by his parents, a builder you should notice if you haven’t. Finally, tore ourselves away from Joe and Gail Dragony, who are long time friends and sort of soul mates to Linda and I, not that we see them often. And now we are back in our room. I do love our guitar centric Community.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Stevied63 said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
I don’t know about Duende, but I, as I think you, disagree with the idea that the ability to build a great guitar is a skill that can be learned by anyone. I guess it depends on your definition of “great”. I think building a great instrument requires a special talent - the ability to combine artistry and craftmanship into an instrument that sounds great; looks great; and responds in a particular way to a musicians touch. Many people can learn, note for note, how to play a song - but it takes talent to be able to play that song with feeling - with soul - that goes beyond mere skill or learning. I think the luthiers I know on this forum have that particular talent to build great instruments.
True! And of course as Printer2 mentioned above, it needs to LAST, too.

I like the idea of Duende. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I LOVE the philosophical musings here in the Custom Shop (Luthier's Corner)

Glad to read you are enjoying LaConner! Hope you come home empty handed...
Have fun!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop