The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2018, 01:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
The GT-1 is a step up from the GT-001 (and the GT-100). It is comparable to the Katana Amps (and I suspect the GT-1000)....
I have read that somewhere, the GT-1 having better converters or something like that, nice to know its true.

Quote:
I found my AC-33 to be meh... it was OK, but..... For FRFR try to audition an IK iLoud portable amp.... or go in the Aux In of a Katana...
Or a QSC K8.2... Or a Behringer MPA40BT-PRO
Well, I want to believe that my AC-90 is somewhat better than the AC-33, if only for the neodymium 8" speakers + the pair of tweeters, but anyway, I'm not it that search right now.

Just selling some old/insatisfying stuff (Boss RC-300, Voicelive 3, POD HD500) to replace it with some new/exciting gear (A.K.A toys for musicians), just like most of us, isn't it?

I have to admit that after reading your answers, right now the Helix floor seems to have more than a slight advantage over my second option.
Thank you guys!

Last edited by Ed_Saxman; 01-28-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Saxman View Post
Well, I want to believe that my AC-90 is somewhat better than the AC-33, if only for the neodymiun 8" speakers + a pair of tweeters, but anyway, I'm not it that search right now.

Just selling some old/insatisfying stuff (Boss RC-300, Voicelive 3, POD HD500) to replace it with some new/exciting gear (A.K.A toys for musicians), just like most of us, isn't it?.
As I remember, I had no real complaints about the AC-33 (my main complaint was that the handle was so tight I kept breaking off fingernails trying to carry it , but I upgraded to a Fishman SA-220 which was the first real FRFR portable amp for me that was actually useable.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 AM

I compared the Helix guitar input and its aux input with my Martin HD28 fitted with a Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo (great pickup by the way!) and I did not notice any difference in sound.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:35 AM

Interesting. My guitar is a nylon string, and there is a significant difference between "acoustic" amps voiced for steel string guitar and nylon string guitar as opposed to FRFR amps. In my experience, of course. I haven't tried in the Aux In, since the regular guitar input worked so well for me (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)...

The sound is ultimately a number of factors - the guitar pickup/preamp, the effects box, and (especially) the speakers, where "FRFR" really came into being only within the past five years or so. (The first speaker that really worked for me was the Fishman SA-220).

If you already have an excellent guitar it may not make a difference - but nylon string guitars have different voicing than steel string, not to mention electric - and not to mention Flamenco....
Old 03-05-2018, 06:11 AM

Talking

Quote:
So I have 2 choices right now: Helix Floor or AD-10+Helix LT+BOSS VE-20.
UPDATE: Got the Helix Floor!!!
Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:

'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 03-05-2018, 10:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
The Helix is just awesome !!!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:59 PM

Just keeping this thread going. Had my Helix for about 9 months now, run all 4 of my guitars through it (see sig). Recently sold the last of my pedals and pedal boards. No regrets, not looking back.

Some people complain that there aren't any acoustic-specific FX, but I don't see that as a problem. The mic-preamp, compressors, EQ, reverbs, modulations all seem great on acoustic.

Recently I've been working on setting the compressor threshold... it's hard to know where to set it without an LED. Someone over on the Line6 forum suggested I stick a hard Gate in front, to KNOW what db level I'm playing at, then set the comp to that level and therefore knowing about where the compressor is kicking in. Fantastic idea, it works.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM

I came into a bit of money, and in addition to my Takamine tc-132sc and Sanchis, I now have a Cordoba GK Studio Pro and 55FCE. I also picked up an HX FX, and it sounds gorgeous through any of my (FRFR) amps.... My tone search is at long last over!!!

With the Studio Pro, all the OD's sound very good, but the thin body 55FCE makes the differences between the even clearer...
Old 06-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I came into a bit of money, and in addition to my Takamine tc-132sc and Sanchis, I now have a Cordoba GK Studio Pro and 55FCE. I also picked up an HX FX, and it sounds gorgeous through any of my (FRFR) amps.... My tone search is at long last over!!!
Yup, the FX on the HX are the same as the Helix and sound great on Acoustic. The deal breaker for me on the HX is the lack of DI... just convenient for me to have it. I also like the L6 link jack for my Line6 L2t FRFR.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post

Recently I've been working on setting the compressor threshold... it's hard to know where to set it without an LED. Someone over on the Line6 forum suggested I stick a hard Gate in front, to KNOW what db level I'm playing at, then set the comp to that level and therefore knowing about where the compressor is kicking in. Fantastic idea, it works.
Great advice, thank you!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 AM

Cant you set the gate at the input level?
rather then using a block??
Old 02-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Cant you set the gate at the input level?
rather then using a block??
Nope. You can make it the first block in the chain.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification