The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Default Need some set up advice

I just checked my 2000 washburn Acoustic Electric.

neck angle:
I checked the neck angle by depressing the 1st and 14th frets on the 6th string and tapping the string at 6th & 7th fret produces a ringing tone, I also slid a business card between the fret and strings and it seems to rub or push on the strings as it goes through - I'm assuming this means I need to loosen the tension with the truss rod.

Action:
I have not measured the action yet so I can't give you any measurements yet on this as I am still in the process of doing this and the action will take a little more time to check each string at both ends.

intonation:
I checked the intonation which seems to be nearly spot on from the first fret to the twelfth fret both playing the note and the harmonic at the 12th fret. Does that mean I should leave the neck alone?

Any advice as I go would be appreciated...
Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
neck angle:
I checked the neck angle by depressing the 1st and 14th frets on the 6th string and tapping the string at 6th & 7th fret produces a ringing tone, I also slid a business card between the fret and strings and it seems to rub or push on the strings as it goes through - I'm assuming this means I need to loosen the tension with the truss rod.
That's called "relief," not neck angle. It's fine to measure it, but you don't need to touch the truss rod unless you're getting a buzz from too little relief when you play.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair