The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Default First kit question???

I am interested in building my first guitar. I have some woodworking experience so I'm not to worried about that aspect. The real worry I have if which kit to select. The martin kit look good as far as I can tell but so dose the stewart-mac kit. I would like to build a D-28 ish guitar. What kit would give me the best quality materials to start with? Thanks in advance. Paul
Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 AM

I'm going through the same process and I think after much research, I'm going to purchase the KMG "success kit".
http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/
I would invite you to check it out before committing. Every email that I sent Ken was answered right away and with more information than I asked for. Also, his enthusiasm for new builders is apparent, and it appears he's trying to think of everything that new builders need. Because it's his name on the kit, you're going to get more personal assistance than with a big catalog company. IMO
bugs
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Another name to check out is John Hall / Bluescreek.com John will make a kit of any woods you like. He has a 00 Brazilian Rosewood kit on eBay right now.
John also is there to answer questions. Nice guy.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM

+ 1 for John at Bluescreek, I have not used his kits, but other stuff from him is great, real pro answers, quickly.
Other sources to consider are LMI, they have a kit wizard to pick your parts and what you want done to them, they will make it to any level of completion you choose.
All these sources will get you a good product with good support. I have not dealt with the kmg, but from the website seems organized. LMI, Bluescreek and Stewmac are all excellent, I think it gets down to the specifics that you need.
Rob
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM

I used the LMI kit.

It has the "wizard" where you pick a kit but then can substitute any of the pieces for changes or upgrades.

The D-18/28 kit I got from LMI had plans actually from Stew-Mac. Couldnt be happier with the materials from the LMI kit and the DVD was really helpful.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am planing on ordering the LIM kit this week. As long as I can decide weather it will be a d-28 or 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair