The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Default Anyone ever build their own guitar from scratch?

I thought it would be neat to build a guitar from scratch. Im pretty good with using tools, but was wondering how hard it is to do. Any pointers?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Check the Custom Shop forum for some pictures of guitar builds. It will give you an idea of what kind of effort is involved. Also, some specialized forms and jigs are required. Not impossible, but it's not like building a bird house, either. Good luck!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Last edited by Kyle76; 03-07-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM

We also have a Build & Repair forum section worth checking out if you missed it:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...splay.php?f=44
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM

I built a dulcimer from scratch some time back. Like you, I'm pretty handy with tools. I found it to be a very humbling and difficult experience. Plus - I had the benifit of using friends woodworking shop with all the tools.

Not easy.
Turkey Creek #17
'02 Martin D-28
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM

yes, but it was an electric guitar. i used no power tools except for a router to rout out the electronics cavities. it was the most difficult thing i've every tried to do. the guitar came out great. sorry i can't give you any pointers as it was so long ago and there is a world of difference in building an electric as opposed to an acoustic.

good luck if you attempt to build your own. i would if i had the space to do so. i've certainly got the time, and after reading Somogyi's books i'm very intrigued. i suggest you buy his two-book set.

bill
Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

...prepare yourself to make a lot of mistakes and don't let that stand in the way...fix them and move on....i'm on my second guitar and its been easier and quicker than the first but i figure i'll need 4 or 5 more before i start to get pretty good and fast at it....good tone and playability are possible on your first guitar if you inform yourself well and proceed with caution and patience...don't be afraid...that'll guarantee disaster...there are so many ways to screw up but thats how you learn....take advantage of the many resources to help you through the process...keep your chisels sharp...use only good quality glue and make sure you use enough of it...get some top quality super glue and accelerator...(i use Satellite Cty) build a go bar deck before you start....theres about 700 things i forgot to mention but you'll figure it out...
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM

On this forum, a more relevant question might be, " Anyone who has not built their own guitar from scratch?" By the way, yes I have.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Yes....and search for luthier forum for support. There are a couple of good ones out there and the members, in general, are VERY willing to share their knowledge.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM

You should check out MIMF.com . It is a friendly forum for first time builders. Many people recommend the Natelson and Cumpiano book "Guitarmaking, Tradition and Technology" as a good how-to reference, and I would agree with this. It is not too expensive and shows how you can use basic hand tools for most of the construction.
My advice would be to buy a good set of plans, don't get bogged down in theory, and dive in!.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Oh Yea!

Custom is to see how to dream of what you want your build to be.
Build and Repair is for how to get there. Please, join us at the Land of Misfit builders.
Luthiersforum.com is the most active build forum. Ask and Ye shall know.
Look at my A.S.I.A posts for East Pa classes in June. I am not sure where you are. Stuff like that takes place many places in the world. If you can attend such an event....run to it.
John Mayes Videos and others are a great play by play to play off of.

I did a Hybrid scratch as my first. I know much more than the dude with the Kit.
I did books, DVD's, Luthiers Forums, Google, pestered Luthiers (always kind folks) My trip was longer and stranger, more informative than a kit. I had fun and came back for more!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon View Post
I thought it would be neat to build a guitar from scratch. Im pretty good with using tools, but was wondering how hard it is to do. Any pointers?
This is something that I have always wanted to do but I can't even sharpen a pencil without breaking the lead a few times.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 AM

I helped a buddy do it. My job was primarily grunt sanding But it was amazing to see it go from nothing over a about 6 months to him finally stringing it up and it came alive and sounded great. He was a classically trained guitarist so he could make just about anything sound good to me, but it was pretty great. The only defect was there was a slight crease in one of the side bends.

I've helped build/assemble several elecctrics, but it ain't the same thing as building an acoustic from scratch

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
This is something that I have always wanted to do but I can't even sharpen a pencil without breaking the lead a few times.
a hobbyist will make one thing, maybe not very good, and show it to you. a craftsman will make a thing, take it apart, fix it, make another, and another, and another, and only show you the ones that are great. the people that are doing this well are breaking the lead a lot of times.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 AM

I've done kits - 1 guitar and 6 ukes. But, I've never gone from log to guitar.

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'
Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM

I have built two dreads from scratch. I learned that it takes lots of patience, and if you don't have patience , then don't try building your own. It helps to have the proper tools for the many tasks, and some of the tools are expensive. Just take your time and enjoy the entire building process and take pics too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair