The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. This DVD set is going to take ages to grok. I honestly have never seen a dissection of the Gary Davis style like this. And it does sound good when I (attempt to) play the runs.

best,

Rick
Old 06-10-2018, 09:18 PM

I saw Rev. Davis several times at university in Massachusetts. One performance was in a rather large auditorium and I was curious as to whether he could project to the last row without a mic, so I sat way back. I didn't have any problem hearing him and I remember him getting the attention of the audience with a yelp that made you jump off your seat. Very strong voice, as you might expect from a street singer.

Harriet
Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
I saw Rev. Davis several times at university in Massachusetts. One performance was in a rather large auditorium and I was curious as to whether he could project to the last row without a mic, so I sat way back. I didn't have any problem hearing him and I remember him getting the attention of the audience with a yelp that made you jump off your seat. Very strong voice, as you might expect from a street singer.

Harriet
You only get a hint of that from his recordings, but it's a big hint. There's a crazy story that Woody Mann tells in his documentary, "Harlem Street Singer": Reverend Gary always kept a gun in his pocket when he was performing on the street. When he felt threatened, he'd start waving it around and people would dive for cover (as you know, he was blind (although, not 100%)).

Sometime this summer, I am going to purchase Stefan Grossman's recording of one of his sermons. He must have been an amazing man.

Rick
Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 AM

Default For my birthday, I purchased the set

There was a sale at Stefan Grossman's website and so I splurged and got the rest of Ernie Hawkins videos. I am skimming through them and really have to complement Ernie on these lessons. Plus, each lesson is accompanied by a recording of RGD playing the song.

Ernie keeps hitting on the syncopation and the fact the Gary Davis was only playing with a thumb and a finger. Ernie also noted something that I had noticed - Gary Davis wears his thumbpick way down on or past the knuckle. This makes a big difference when you pop those strings; there's a lot more power in each stroke.

It will take years to go through these (and the other lessons that I have accumulated), let alone master them. But it's a lot cheaper than some other hobbies I can think of. If you haven't guessed, I rate Ernie Hawkin's RGD lessons "five picks!".

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write