The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

I recently got a Sexauer 0 in braz rw which came with a Barbera pickup. I wont profess any expertise in this, but it is the best sounding acoustic pickup Iíve ever heard. Crisp, clear, and clean, very musical sounding - I am extremely pleased with it, and planning on having another one put into another guitar. But Iím also a fan of the Tonedexter, and want to get one of James Mays Ultratonics installed in something else to test it out, so there is still a chance that the Barbera will get knocked out of first place - but that bar is extremely high -
Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I recently got a Sexauer 0 in braz rw which came with a Barbera pickup. I wont profess any expertise in this, but it is the best sounding acoustic pickup Iíve ever heard. Crisp, clear, and clean, very musical sounding - I am extremely pleased with it, and planning on having another one put into another guitar. But Iím also a fan of the Tonedexter, and want to get one of James Mays Ultratonics installed in something else to test it out, so there is still a chance that the Barbera will get knocked out of first place - but that bar is extremely high -
I currently have two jacks in my Soloist-equipped guitar, so I'm looking forward to eventually switching out the MiniFlex2Mic for a soundboard pickup. (A local luthier here has had great success with his very precise JJB installations.) The anecdotal evidence has suggested to me that ToneDexter works best (with respect to directly recorded results, at least) with SBTs. I'm curious to compare the Soloist/Tone Dexter combo with a JJB/ToneDexter combo.

One nice thing about the Soloist is that it doesn't compromise the guitar's acoustic tone (as a UST would). If it turns out that I favor the JJB/ToneDexter combo for most applications, there won't be any urgent reason to replace the Soloist with a conventional saddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification