The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Question small beltsanders-anybody have idea of a good unit

i say small, more for home hobby type work(nuts/saddles) not a regular size for woodwork.

any good ones out there?

thanks
d
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM

I'd go for another Makita if my Makita ever needed replacing but it may be more than what you need. http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/....aspx?CatID=35

I have one of the bigger models that I've owned for years with a 4" x 24" belt and they're around $200 these days - for real woodworking projects and cabinet making. But you can get a little Makita with a 3" x 18" belt for about half that.

Seems like you wouldn't need much for just making nuts and saddles. Look at some Skill belt sanders. I'd think you could find one for around $50.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 AM

This one would be perfect
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Comb...c-Sander/H7761
Old 04-26-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
That is a 2" sander, but for another $11 you could get the Grizzly 4" sander.

I know the OP wanted small, but the time will come when he would think "I wish I had bought a bigger sander".
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Todd Stock recomended this one to me I could not be happier.
Here is the sander that replaced 3 of my sanders. $200 Ridgid OCC At Home Depot
It has a oscillating belt sander. I confess to stealing the drum sanders and using them to hand sand touches and dips on my bracing The Oscillating belt keeps up against surfaces with so much less struggle than a conventional belt sander.

Below is their description;
Constructed as 2 tools in 1, the RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander operates with rotary and oscillating motion to help you easily and quickly achieve burn-free finishes on edges, contours, faces, inside curves and outside curves. The tool-free conversion from belt to spindle helps you quickly and easily make changes, so you can complete multiple jobs quickly and easily, and the onboard accessory storage neatly holds the belt mechanism, washers and more to help your work area stay neat.

5 amp, 3/8 HP motor supplies power to offer high performance and excellent results
Up to 1,725 RPM spindle speed for fast, burn-free finishes
60 OPM delivers speedy sanding action
Tool-free conversion from belt to spindle helps make changes quick and simple to help you complete multiple jobs efficiently
Oscillating and rotary motion for sanding edges, faces, contours, inside curves and outside curves
Onboard accessory storage neatly holds the belt mechanism, all drums, throat plates and washers to help keep your work area tidy
Ball-bearing construction for smooth operation and long life
Built-in sawdust collection port helps keep your workspace and air clean
Lockout power switch helps prevent unintentional activation
8 ft. cord provides a long reach
MFG Brand Name : RIDGID
MFG Model # : EB4424
MFG Part # : EB4424
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 AM

+1 for the Rigid. Fine Woodworking gave it a very favorable review and I find that their reviews are accurate and fair.

If you are looking for a handheld unit, I like the Bosch. Plenty of power and the flat top makes it easy to flip it upside down and make into a temporary stationary tool.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM

I have a Grizzly 4 inch belt sander that is handy for many things but for making nuts and saddles I really prefer the Rikon 1 inch, http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...sc-Sander.aspx ,I recently picked up. I find it much easier to control my work and I don't worry nearly as much about giving myself an unintentional manicure.
Regards,
Ed
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM

I'm sure there are more expensive and less expensive ones. .. but I've used these two guys for 8 years, and I put literally thousands upon thousands of hours on them. They track very well if you use good quality belts, which is important for nuts and saddles. 4" x 36" Ryobi BD 4600. ..about $130. The only thing I've had to do is change the little rubber belts occasionally. Workhorse!

Last edited by rcolosi; 04-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

folks

thank you all, some excellent choices you've shown me-now to research each of them

d
Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM

I have 4 of the Ryobi 4" sanders, they are very well built and belts are easy to change and available is several grits. I use these to teach making wooden kitchen utensils like spoons and spatulas. I have more than 100 hours on each. I have worn out some small drive belts but it is a great sander.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

did some research and read reviews, checked the Home Depot and find the Ryobi 4" sanders at $119, reviews were around 79 and pretty much very positive. I think i'll go that direction, thanks Bob and lefty for the pitch.

The other ones sound nice too, the Rigid is a little more than i have to spend and i like the idea i can check the Ryobi out at the store versus shipping something in to me.

thanks folks
d
Old 04-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolosi View Post
I'm sure there are more expensive and less expensive ones. .. but I've used these two guys for 8 years, and I put literally thousands upon thousands of hours on them. They track very well if you use good quality belts, which is important for nuts and saddles. 4" x 36" Ryobi BD 4600. ..about $130. The only thing I've had to do is change the little rubber belts occasionally. Workhorse!
That's the model I've been using for about 6 months. Delighted that you've gotten such good use out of it! I'm very happy with mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair