The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-28-2022, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Gefell M300 and Schoeps CMC6 comparison

I've had a pair of the Schoeps CMC6 with MK4 capsules on loan, so I thought it would be fun to do a comparison video with my own Gefell M300s.

I setup both mics in spaced pair and plugged them into my Zoom H6. I would have liked to have used my Babyface or something higher end, but the Zoom is the only thing I have with 4 inputs, and I wanted an even playing field preamp wise.

I tried to get the stereo balance between pairs of mics the same, but you may hear some slight differences between the two clips. I recorded both pairs at the same time, then cut back and forth between the two sets of mics.

I actually did the cutting back and forth in Final Cut after level matching the tracks in Logic, and I think FC didnt make the smoothest transition b/t a few of the clips. But I think its enough that you get the idea.

I'd be interested in how other folks that use Final Cut might do something like this. Its easy in the Angle Viewer to cut b/t two different audio sources, which is then visible on the timeline. Its then easy to add the on screen labels for "Mic A" and "Mic B". I guess the other option would be to make the cuts in Logic, but then it would be harder to line up the on screen labels in FC.

Anyways, I hope this is useful and informative for some folks. I know these two mics are mentioned often here on the forum, especially the Schoeps. Comparing mics like this in real time is always fun.

Last edited by anton; 06-29-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:18 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I've had a pair of the Schoeps CMC6 with MK41 capsules on loan, so I thought it would be fun to do a comparison video with my own Gefell M300s....
I think you might have the MK4 capsules there boss
Old 06-28-2022, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Oh dang how did i miss that. Guess i better make a correction in the video description
Old 06-29-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Very close. For a guess I'd say M300 on B since perhaps it sounds a bit warmer, a bit less detail.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-29-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I actually did the cutting back and forth in Final Cut after level matching the tracks in Logic, and I think FC didnt make the smoothest transition b/t a few of the clips. But I think its enough that you get the idea.

I'd be interested in how other folks that use Final Cut might do something like this. Its easy in the Angle Viewer to cut b/t two different audio sources, which is then visible on the timeline. Its then easy to add the on screen labels for "Mic A" and "Mic B". I guess the other option would be to make the cuts in Logic, but then it would be harder to line up the on screen labels in FC.
First thanks for posting

Me ...Rather than cutting back and forth while continuing the the flow of the song audio .
I would have cut back and forth on the same short sections of audio (in order that the comparison be A/B on the same exact section of the song ) which would eliminate another variable and make the comparison even more accurate ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-29-2022, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Yea thats a good point Kev, that might be a better way to do it. I'll remember that when i do another mic comparison video.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I would have cut back and forth on the same short sections of audio (in order that the comparison be A/B on the same exact section of the song ) which would eliminate another variable and make the comparison even more accurate ....
I'm not opposed to that but IMO if you need to listen that closely to discern, then the mics are effectively the same

I preferred mic A a little bit but not enough that I would switch if I already owned one or the other.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

The mic reveal is in the bottom of the Youtube video description, if you are dying to know.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:28 PM

They're so close that, for me, which ever mic is which is irrelevant.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:30 PM

Hi Anton,

Thanks for doing the comparison! I also use a pair of m300's. they are very detailed, yet smooth sounding. I am considering the Cmc641 pair.

I love your playing and the sound of your guitar!

Rick

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 09-23-2022 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting comparison. Thanks for this!

I thought the two mics sounded remarkably similar. With my eyes closed I had a hard time telling when the mics were switched. There were variations in volume but I think that was more due to playing differences than the mics.

Obviously, these are both excellent microphone pairs.

- Glenn
Old 06-30-2022, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbajzek View Post
I'm not opposed to that but IMO if you need to listen that closely to discern, then the mics are effectively the same

I preferred mic A a little bit but not enough that I would switch if I already owned one or the other.
I am confused,,, "not opposed" to what ? An effort to make something more accurate and detectable ? Seems to me would the same amount of benefit regardless of the differential factor, would it not ?

Or perhaps even arguably the reverse concept is true ,, the closer or more subtle the difference, the more critical the need for accuracy for the comparison to be informative ..Or am I missing something ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-30-2022 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am confused,,, "not opposed" to what ? An effort to make something more accurate and detectable ? Seems to me would the same amount of benefit regardless of the differential factor, would it not ?

Or perhaps even arguably the reverse concept is true ,, the closer or more subtle the difference, the more critical the need for accuracy for the comparison to be informative ..Or am I missing something ?
I just mean that I think I hear differences better when I hear the mics switch than when I listen to complete takes of one or the other in sequence
Old 06-30-2022, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Anton,

Thanks so much for doing this comparison. I own both a pair of KM184’s and M300’s and I can hear the difference between these mics. One is not better than the other but I (like many others) do find the KM184’s a bit brighter.

Like others above, I really cannot hear a difference between the M300’s and the CMC6 Mk 4’s in the home recording environment you used for the demo. Perhaps if there is a significant difference between the mics, you’d only be able to discern it if you did the recording in a studio with industry benchmark acoustics.

And the really good news is you probably saved me $3,400 by quashing the MAS I was feeling towards the Schoep mics !
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-30-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Nice comparison, Anton. Over the years, I've had pairs of both at the same time. I found them to have a bit more difference, even using mic placements very similar to the ones you used. Curious. I suspect differences would be more apparent with sharper transients, but that's just speculation.

I believe Pair A is the Gefells and Pair B is the Schoeps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD