The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-27-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Am I allowed to say "none"?

Cheap mics sound cheap. They have that "cheap mic high end" that gives them away immediately. Especially on stringed instruments.

I will say that the Roswell Audio mini K series is pretty nice for the price, but they cost over $100. But, I have a different take. I work on projects & with artists that get Grammy nominations...so my standards are different than a hobbyist. It's my livelihood. I can't afford to skimp...not when I'm playing in that neighborhood
Sure, but that doesn't have much to do with the topic question.

I also have a Roswell Mini K-47 that I keep on a stand as my every day grab and use mic, but that's outside of the OP's question, since it's three times the price being asked about.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Sure, but that doesn't have much to do with the topic question.

I also have a Roswell Mini K-47 that I keep on a stand as my every day grab and use mic, but that's outside of the OP's question, since it's three times the price being asked about.
My point was that they all pretty much suck. Don't waste your money. As my dad used ti say "cheap is expensive".

Just trying to say it nicely...figuring people would figure that out. My bad, apparently.

I mean, if you're spending thousands on a high quality guitar, why try to record it with a $100 mic? It just negates all the extra you spent on the guitar in lost detail & harshness in the recording. You've already made the statement that you can tell the difference between good & bad sounds & are interested in the subtleties of great tone by spending those thousands on a high quality instrument. It extends to the mic you record with...whether you want to accept it or not.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-28-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
My point was that they all pretty much suck. Don't waste your money. As my dad used ti say "cheap is expensive".

Just trying to say it nicely...figuring people would figure that out. My bad, apparently.

I mean, if you're spending thousands on a high quality guitar, why try to record it with a $100 mic? It just negates all the extra you spent on the guitar in lost detail & harshness in the recording. You've already made the statement that you can tell the difference between good & bad sounds & are interested in the subtleties of great tone by spending those thousands on a high quality instrument. It extends to the mic you record with...whether you want to accept it or not.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
Perhaps, but as inferred earlier the OP's question was "what budget mic have you been impressed with?" I kinda think that is a totally legit question in a "for every man" type forum. I'm also beyond convinced that many, if not in fact most here, don't have recording environments that would support higher-end mic choices. In the end, some of the advantages of a costly investment would get lost in the pitfalls and inaccuracies of the room.

I'd also guess many here are limited in ever advancing their rooms' sonics in any real significant manner. For a home enthusiast recording an acoustic guitar and with a challenging, noisy environment to deal with, I'd suggest a simple dynamic mic might, in the end, outperform a U-87, just because of the rejection alone. That of course not to suggest an SM-57 sounds better than even some mid-level condensers out there these days (let alone a U-87), but more a better tool for a particular job at hand.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-28-2022, 01:19 PM

If it was my job...My business,,My livelihood... Than I agree on spending big on what it takes to get people into the studio.
But my idea for this thread was what does the avg player..the weekend warrior...the record myself for fun people use and what have they been impressed with in microphones..

I really like my Neat Worker bee but for my small office and noisy household it just picks up too much, making the placement and timing harder to conquer

So I'm gravitating to small condensers...maybe even handheld condensers which seem to be a bit more forgiving.

I'd like to try the Rode M2 next
Old 06-28-2022, 01:40 PM

I am going to be following this thread. As I am in the market for an inexpensive mic. Preferably under $100, but that's not a must.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
If it was my job...My business,,My livelihood... Than I agree on spending big on what it takes to get people into the studio.
But my idea for this thread was what does the avg player..the weekend warrior...the record myself for fun people use and what have they been impressed with in microphones..

I really like my Neat Worker bee but for my small office and noisy household it just picks up too much, making the placement and timing harder to conquer

So I'm gravitating to small condensers...maybe even handheld condensers which seem to be a bit more forgiving.

A practical assessment of your recording environment and the problems therein, might well be a pragmatic place to start when determining what the best choice of mic's might be. A noisy environment always begs for a close (or as close as possible) mic scenario. The same kinda theory as near field monitors. The concept being an attempt to eliminate the noise from the room itself. Little Pig Studios in Nashville has such wonderfully created sonic environments that a condenser mic 12,15 even 20 inches away from the guitar can be magic. If I was to put a mic that far from my guitar at home it'd pick up jets landing at LAX. Just an impossible task.

I think the Rode may be a good choice but it's a bit of a tough one from a proximity perspective. Condensers usually (not always) get annoying when gettin' up close. As an alternative choice I'd at least entertain a used Shure SM7B (with a Cloud lifter) as an alternative. It wouldn't be by any stretch, my first choice in a great room but it is a great sounding mic and and forever forgiving in a close mic scenario's. It does a remarkably great job in eliminating the room and tough to solve room problems.

Just a thought and again..my 2 cents.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:

The Rode M2 specifications list a "self-noise" rating of 23 dba.

Here's a quote from the Neumann website about microphone self-noise:

"20-23 dB-A is a pretty high self-noise figure for a studio microphone. This is an area where every decibel counts, because we've reached a noise level that's clearly audible. Such noise figures may be acceptable when you record loud sources, but not for anything below speaking level."
Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The Rode M2 specifications list a "self-noise" rating of 23 dba.

Here's a quote from the Neumann website about microphone self-noise:

"20-23 dB-A is a pretty high self-noise figure for a studio microphone. This is an area where every decibel counts, because we've reached a noise level that's clearly audible. Such noise figures may be acceptable when you record loud sources, but not for anything below speaking level."
Yea I saw that and hoping that it won't be noticeable live...??
Old 06-29-2022, 10:33 AM

First off, a statement that no one should use less-expensive mics assumes budgetary possibilities for "more's better" and "buy once cry once" tactics are available to all. It's wisdom, yes, but available to some, not all.

The second assumption is that there's an ideal best (easily determined for all) in the "more expensive" lines.

A third assumption is that in a beginner stage that it could make sense to learn how to perform, record, engineer, place mics, deal with rooms, live mic issues, etc with a less expensive mic so that when one is ready to invest in a high-level mic you have the skills, tastes, and experience to use the more expensive one without significantly depleting a long-term budget for mics. For example: an argument to use a $100 mic instead of a $600 mic to learn before buying a $2000 etc one.

Live usage involves factors like durability, predictability in places not under your control, possible theft loss, and how fast you can make them work "well enough."

Some opinions here would say a lot of successful acts and studios have foolishly used the SM57 and continue to use it. I think there's an argument that the superior transient response and high-end detail of a typical quality condenser mic doesn't work in some contexts even in studios with big mic lockers. And live use, which mic can serve as hammer or trailer wheel chock in a pinch?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-29-2022, 11:45 AM

The topic was what inexpensive microphone have you been impressed with, even if served you once before you used it as a wheel stop
I know some will never be happy with inexpensive, I'm lucky enough not hear $$$$ difference between a inexpensive microphone and a $$$ expensive microphone...
Sure I hear a difference but I'm not a perfectionist and don't have a need to be perfect in my recordings...I'm a hobbyist ...Its for fun, maybe for family enjoyment,

So the topic was meant to help people find a usable inexpensive mic that will get the job done ..with or without lots of EQ and not break the bank..

Last edited by CASD57; 06-29-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Yea I saw that and hoping that it won't be noticeable live...??
Probably not, but if you're using as a recording mic then it might be a consideration.

After using a few condensers for live use in the past I'm pretty much a "stick to 57s and 58s for use with PA" type of guy.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The topic was what inexpensive microphone have you been impressed with, even if served you once before you used it as a wheel stop
I know some will never be happy with inexpensive, I'm lucky enough not hear $$$$ difference between a inexpensive microphone and a $$$ expensive microphone...
Sure I hear a difference but I'm not a perfectionist and don't have a need to be perfect in my recordings...I'm a hobbyist ...Its for fun, maybe for family enjoyment,

So the topic was meant to help people find a usable inexpensive mic that will get the job done ..with or without lots of EQ and not break the bank..
First It's my hobby not my job ....
I understand your intent BUT "get the job done" is totally subjective .....
So you will undoubtedly get totally subjective answers with little consensus

I have not personally tried or heard recordings of any sub $100 mics that have have "impressed me" they may be out there. But I have not heard any.
Personally I think $100 to $200 Is more likely to get you "impressive performance per dollar" . But that is just me .. carry on .

And likely not what you are after but for recording honestly $100 is arguably better spent on DIY room treatment than on new mic'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-30-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First It's my hobby not my job ....
I understand your intent BUT "get the job done" is totally subjective .....
So you will undoubtedly get totally subjective answers with little consensus

I have not personally tried or heard recordings of any sub $100 mics that have have "impressed me" they may be out there. But I have not heard any.
Personally I think $100 to $200 Is more likely to get you "impressive performance per dollar" . But that is just me .. carry on .

And likely not what you are after but for recording honestly $100 is arguably better spent on DIY room treatment than on new mic'
I don't want to willfully misrepresent you, as you're not one of those I MUST WIN argument guys (and neither am I). But unless your listening experience is more limited than I'd estimate, you have heard inexpensive microphones on recordings that you found pleasure in, you just don't know you have.* I interpret what you intended to say as "In our shared world of AGF and Internet forums I've never heard something from one of the posters there where they spec'ed out what mics they used were $100 range mics that I recall being impressed by the sonic qualities of the recording." I know that's a mouthful, and you're openminded, but I think the distinction is plausibly worthwhile.

I also agree with your point that $100 may a less useful cutoff point for "inexpensive". I use my SM57s for various things even now when I'm recording, and certainly used them live, but if someone was to mention a $149 dynamic they like better, I'd still say that's an inexpensive mic in today's dollars.

Inexpensive dynamic mics get used for vocals and instruments more than anyone bothers to note, even in studios over the years, and of course there's live recordings or just live stage sound.

*One that comes to mind of the top of my head: Aretha Franklin the "Amazing Grace" sessions in that church with SM57's predecessor. Soul moving sound comes out of my speakers when I hear Aretha's voice. Would it have been better with a vintage tube German condenser? Possibly, but that's what they had and what I have to listen to, and I'm impressed and moved.

Powerful voices, or voices with certain qualities seem to match inexpensive dynamic vocal mics, even when other choices could be used.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-30-2022, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I don't want to willfully misrepresent you, as you're not one of those I MUST WIN argument guys (and neither am I). But unless your listening experience is more limited than I'd estimate, you have heard inexpensive microphones on recordings that you found pleasure in, you just don't know you have.* I interpret what you intended to say as "In our shared world of AGF and Internet forums I've never heard something from one of the posters there where they spec'ed out what mics they used were $100 range mics that I recall being impressed by the sonic qualities of the recording." I know that's a mouthful, and you're openminded, but I think the distinction is plausibly worthwhile.
Humm you have a lot going there

I would guess it's a certainty I have heard recordings using "inexpensive mics " (which itself is kind of a subjective assessment ) and I have no clue as to what mics were used .... ("that I found pleasure in" is also kinda subjective ).
I can "appreciate" all kinds of recordings but that does not mean I have been personally impressed .... Rudy4's example with his $50 mics. While I can certainly appreciate his performance, I would say the mic sound while adequate to the performance, is not personally particularly "impressive". Which is also not only totally subjective, but is the only measure I can apply ,,my impression .. And why I prefaced with the idea the OP was going to get little consensus

Quote:
I also agree with your point that $100 may a less useful cutoff point for "inexpensive". I use my SM57s for various things even now when I'm recording, and certainly used them live, but if someone was to mention a $149 dynamic they like better, I'd still say that's an inexpensive mic in today's dollars.
Agreed Especially if we bring in OP's main criteria of " impressed with" I have also used my SM57 some but mostly on electric guitar cab.
For my live vocals I use a AKG Emotion C-900 stage condenser (but my voice needs all the help it can get ) I think was between $189 to $249 when I bought it , probably early 2000 or so ?? Which to me is still kinda inexpensive for a stage condenser .

Quote:
Inexpensive dynamic mics get used for vocals and instruments more than anyone bothers to note, even in studios over the years, and of course there's live recordings or just live stage sound.
No doubt

Quote:
*One that comes to mind of the top of my head: Aretha Franklin the "Amazing Grace" sessions in that church with SM57's predecessor. Soul moving sound comes out of my speakers when I hear Aretha's voice. Would it have been better with a vintage tube German condenser? Possibly, but that's what they had and what I have to listen to, and I'm impressed and moved.

Powerful voices, or voices with certain qualities seem to match inexpensive dynamic vocal mics, even when other choices could be used.
Not fair. Aretha could sing thru a juice can on a string to the console, and sound moving

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-30-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:11 PM

If you want to include used mics in this category, my most impressive sub-$100 mic is a Pacific Pro Audio LD-Three large diaphragm tube condenser mic. This is a Chinese tube mic, similar to the Aventone Pro CV-12. I bought it used for $80. I swapped out the Chinese 12AX7 for a JJ 12AY7 (about $20 plus shipping) and this is now my primary vocal mic.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD