The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-15-2022, 12:44 PM

Default Laptop will record voice and not guitar

I have been using a Dell desktop with a Blue Snowball microphone to make videos to submit to ArtistWorks. It has been working fine (that is the, quality is good enough for the intended purpose).

I recently tried using an HP Spectre laptop with the same microphone (with same settings) and using the same app (the "Camera" app native to Windows). Although my voice (speaking) is picked up just fine, the guitar is NOT. It is soft and intermittent. I even played loudly right in front of the microphone.

I cannot figure out what is going on, other than the possibility that the Spectre is judgmental and does not like my guitar playing.
Martin OM-21
Old 06-15-2022, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps the mic has a cardioid pattern and the guitar is falling too close to the edge of what the mic will pick up. You're going to have to aim the mic more towards the guitar. Of course that will probably pull your head out of the frame but it may be the only way to get the guitar to hit the mic better.

Or, you could get a usb mic and then be able to point the camera and the mic independent of each other.

Edit... by the time I finished reading, I'd forgotten you'd mentioned the Snowball (I hate getting old). This sounds like you just need to find the best position for the Snowball. You might also play with the switch on the back of the Snowball. In position 1 (full left) the mic has a narrow field. Position 2 (middle) is a bit wider. Position 3 (full right) and the mic is omnidirectional and will pick up sound from all directions.

I suspect your switch is at position 1 or 2. Move it to the right and see if that helps.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 06-15-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Root around in the "preferences" part of your app and maybe compare
what you find to the settings on the other computer...

-Mike
Old 06-15-2022, 03:09 PM

Any remote chance the HP laptop is using the mic in the laptop and the USB mic is not selected?
Old 06-15-2022, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Check the edit on my previous post. That's likely your issue.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-15-2022, 11:47 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I did make sure that the Blue Snowball was selected, and did try all three positions of that microphone switch, and also varied the position of the microphone relative to the guitar. What was strange was that if I kept those variables constant between the computers, the Dell desktop would record the guitar and the HP laptop would not.

I did finally get it to work, but am not clear how. I went into the microphone settings and changed some things such as input level and sample rate and finally was able to clearly hear the guitar. However, to really verify this was the problem I went back to (what I thought were) the original settings – and still could hear the guitar. So, I am not sure what I did, but it works!
Martin OM-21

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD