The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-13-2022, 06:15 AM

Question Acoustic guitar recording , open headphones and possible feedback problems

Have you experience with feedback problems recording at home an acoustic guitar that have an internal condenser mic or contact transducer like Schertler BASIK o DYN PG48 using an open headphone ( AKG702) for monitoring and listening?
Old 06-13-2022, 06:40 AM

Yeah, you absolutely will get feedback/leakage. That's why most people use closed-back headphones for recording.

I love my Grado SR-225s for listening but would never use them for recording.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:48 AM

@ egordon99
Thanks for answer . Maybe I don’t explain well my situation.
I play guitar at home directly connected to LINE6 Hx Stomp used as audio interface connected to a windows pc.
I don’t use any amp.
For listening I use a pair of Ik multimedia ILOUD micro
Do you think I should have feedback problems with headphones also in this case?
To create feedback the sound goes out from open headphones and should be captured by transducer that is on top of guitar .
This is possibile that this will be happen ?

Last edited by Guido_59; 06-13-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido_59 View Post
@ egordon99
I play guitar at home directly connected to LINE6 Hx Stomp used as audio interface connected to a windows pc.
I don’t use any amp.
To create feedback the sound goes out from open headphones and should be captured by transducer that is on top of guitar .
If there's a microphone involved, you may very well get some feedback. Since you have all the equipment, why don't you try it?
Old 06-13-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
@ egordon99
I don’t use any amp.
If I am understanding and you are using a pickup from the guitar plugged into the Line 6 (no microphone) then no -----you will likely not have feedback issues unless you have the HP's turned to an ear damaging level and have the HPs down on the top of the guitar.

Even when using a highly sensitive LDC microphone to record and wearing open back Head Phones,,, I have not had any feedback issue Some slight sound leakage possible from HP to mic yes, feedback no

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-13-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

If you play with a click, you'll definitely get that on your recording. Even sometimes with closed back cans. My GF likes the click as loud as it will go so the first thing I do is check to make sure we didn't record that.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 06-13-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you experience with feedback problems recording at home an acoustic guitar that have an internal condenser mic or contact transducer like Schertler BASIK o DYN PG48 using an open headphone ( AKG702) for monitoring and listening?
Hi Guido…

I've recorded & mixed with Sennheiser open-back headphones for the past 20 years without leakage/feedback. I don't run them loud - don't need to.

And I've only worn them when overdubbing.

Actually I've engineered everything from bluegrass single-mic groups to ensembles live and from inside the room without leakage (I was probably 6-8 feet away from uni-directional studio condenser mics and their backs were toward me.

When I had someone else engineer the recordings, they wore the phones and sat across the room from me (8-10 feet) and we never picked up leakage on any of the recordings.

I think it depends on the phones, the room, and the volumes which are being used. I often had singers recording and dubbing using a set of phone with one ear off (stuck to the side of their head) without issues too.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-13-2022, 09:18 AM

I haven’t yet Schertler and I can’t try before buy it.
I think to buy Schertler and if necessary other closed headphone similar in quality and sound to AKG702
Initially I would buy a Seymour Duncan Mag mic but Schertler has better acoustic sound and less feeds problem, in Mag mic condenser mic is its best pro but may cause feedback issue
Old 06-13-2022, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

The question is about playing and listening, not recording, right?

It seems to me that in order to feed back from the headphones into the guitar mic/pickup, the headphone volume would need to be ear-splitting.

For listening, that is. A quite different question is whether you would get sound from the headphones on a recording. A click track comes to mind. For that, yes, you’ll hear the click on your recorded track unless the click volume setting is just barely audible. So for recording (not what you asked about?), you’d want to monitor with closed-back headphones.

For the engineer who monitors other performers using open-backed phones, I’d wager the sound leaking from your phones is 50 dB or more below the musicians’ sound source, relative to the mic, even an omni.

Now, if Guido is recording himself, and his headphones are inches from the mic, I would expect leakage into the recorded track. So, a case for closed phones. But even with open phones, getting the leakage to feed back with his guitar’s internal mic would in all likelihood require painful headphone volume levels. Does that seem reasonable?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 06-13-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:04 PM

@ b1j
Yes Playing an listen only occasionally recording for My personal use.
I’ll neve play out of My home where I play alone on banking track trough pc.
Guitar will be directory connected to Line6 HX STOMP use with audio interface .
I make this with My elettrico Guitar. No real amp no realtà cab.
Only for listening I use monitor ikmuktimefia iLoud micro monitor.
Excuse me but I don’t think to understand what you and Sasquatchian mean for “click track” .
I think it should be click on track cause latency problem, but now I think I not understand . My English it is not so good .
Can you explain in other way ?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2022, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
@ b1j
Yes Playing an listen only occasionally recording for My personal use.
I’ll neve play out of My home where I play alone on banking track trough pc.
Guitar will be directory connected to Line6 HX STOMP use with audio interface .
I make this with My elettrico Guitar. No real amp no realtà cab.
Only for listening I use monitor ikmuktimefia iLoud micro monitor.
Excuse me but I don’t think to understand what you and Sasquatchian mean for “click track” .
I think it should be click on track cause latency problem, but now I think I not understand . My English it is not so good .
Can you explain in other way ?
Thanks in advance
OK so this is what it sounds like you are saying (understanding english is a second language)

#1 You are plugging your electric guitar directly into the Line 6 and mostly just listening to what you are playing but possibly occasional recording also. And for recording you would also going into the Line 6 and then to the computer And NO microphone involved ....Correct yes ?

#2 In either case open back or closed back headphones will be OK and you will not get feedback issues with either .

#3 The click track they are talking about is a digital type of metronome for recording purpose, to help keep time,,, found in most DAW's ( digital recording software) and is mostly used for recording multiple tracks Like say a rhythm guitar track then a lead guitar track and so forth... And they are talking about if you use open back head phones and sometimes even closed back (IF the Click is very loud in the headphones ) AND you are using a sensitive microphone---- you may end up with click sounds in the microphone recorded track ---- make sense ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-13-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:55 PM

@ KevWind
1- yes
2- understand , thanks
3- oh **** ! Now I see !Metronome ! I always use it but with electric guitar there is no problems.
In any daw I use there option to set sound and volume of metronome click
Many thanks !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD