The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-04-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Relaxed left hand

Friends, I am just about three years into my guitar life, and have been working on fingerstyle for about four months. It has really transformed the playing experience for me in challenging but satisfying ways.

One issue I have is stiff hands/fingers. Meaning, sometimes the fingers feel like the Tin Man's, in need of a good oiling. I do have some arthritis in them, which surely does not help. But I think the most immediate issue is that I unintentionally tense the fingers as I am going through a passage that is difficult for me, or when I am just trying to make my way through a piece without screwing up.

A perfect example is the pinky/ring finger spread on the two E strings when reaching for a G chord. I can make the reach without difficulty if just doing it outside the context of a song - say just running through chords. But put it in the context of a song, and I just feel fingers tense up and casue me to miss the transition, or I end up switching to an alternate fingering as a crutch - which triggers more tension.

Before I play, I do stretches and warm up stuff. so physiologically it is not really an issue. What is an issue is trying to keep the left hand relaxed when I am not feeling particularly relaxed.

Thanks for any help.
David
Old 01-04-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

You mean middle finger and pinky (or ring) fingers?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-04-2022, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I find I have a similar issue. I am newer to this than you, but for me it is a purely psychological tension largely based in my inexperience and trying too hard. I try to calm and relax as I play. It is a meditation practice while also practicing repetition of a pattern.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You mean middle finger and pinky (or ring) fingers?
The example I was giving was a G maj open chord with the ring finger on low E and pinky on high E strings. I have a hard time hitting that span when my fingers tense. Hope this answers your question.
David
Old 01-04-2022, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I find I have a similar issue. I am newer to this than you, but for me it is a purely psychological tension largely based in my inexperience and trying too hard. I try to calm and relax as I play. It is a meditation practice while also practicing repetition of a pattern.
Yep. Ironic what "trying too hard" does to you.
Good luck with your music.
David
Old 01-04-2022, 12:40 PM

Speed may be an issue. As in (for example) you assume that when you switch over to that open G chord, all your fingers have to be smack-dab instantaneously in place. But... maybe they don't. It could be that your ring finger on the low E string needs to be there right on the downbeat of the bar, but maybe your pinky on the high E string can afford to be a bit of a laggard, and doesn't have to be in place until a little later. If you can prioritize this stuff, you can physically and mentally relax a bit.

Couch Standards
Old 01-04-2022, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
The example I was giving was a G maj open chord with the ring finger on low E and pinky on high E strings. I have a hard time hitting that span when my fingers tense. Hope this answers your question.
David
That fingering does not compute.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:06 PM

Without watching you play, it's hard to really pin point any advice

but from years of teaching, I think I can offer one pc of advice.

Try to be very aware (without making it the only thing you can focus on) on your speed/tempo as you approach tricky/difficult parts.

Sometimes we can tense up unconsciously as we approach something hard, pushing up the tempo/speed we play at, which makes going in to complex measures even more difficult cuz it's all just getting too fast to be controlled well.

does that makes any sense?

Going into tuff measures with good tempo control will help you become more relax with everything.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That fingering does not compute.
Derek, this is what I was referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220104_141546.jpg (22.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Without watching you play, it's hard to really pin point any advice

but from years of teaching, I think I can offer one pc of advice.

Try to be very aware (without making it the only thing you can focus on) on your speed/tempo as you approach tricky/difficult parts.

Sometimes we can tense up unconsciously as we approach something hard, pushing up the tempo/speed we play at, which makes going in to complex measures even more difficult cuz it's all just getting too fast to be controlled well.

does that makes any sense?

Going into tuff measures with good tempo control will help you become more relax with everything.
Ray, that is good mindfulness. Thanks.
I also try not to "hang" onto the previous chord as well, which inevitably means that I am rushing to the next chord. This is especially the case when I am transitioning to an F maj with the thumb overlay. That is always dicey move for me because there tends to be a lot going on, and I am not always so good about placing the thumb correctly.
Thanks again.
David
Old 01-04-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Speed may be an issue. As in (for example) you assume that when you switch over to that open G chord, all your fingers have to be smack-dab instantaneously in place. But... maybe they don't. It could be that your ring finger on the low E string needs to be there right on the downbeat of the bar, but maybe your pinky on the high E string can afford to be a bit of a laggard, and doesn't have to be in place until a little later. If you can prioritize this stuff, you can physically and mentally relax a bit.
Brent, that is something I find myself doing, and it can be helpful. Like placing the ring finger first then "leveraging" the pinky back.
Obliged for the suggestion.
Daid
Old 01-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Derek, this is what I was referring to.
Looks good.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks good.
Cheers.
David
Old 01-04-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

A couple of things for your consideration, based on that pic:
Your hand does appear overly tense in that position. Ideally you should try to place the fingers as close to the upper fret as you can, i.e. like where your middle finger is currently. Your ring finger looks like it's pinching on the middle finger.
A solution would be to work on finger separation and independence. That will loosen a lot of that tension. There are many drills for that. It will take time, but the payoff is big. A little bit every day.
Your knuckle position is otherwise good though.
The nail on your ring finger looks very long. Or is that a weird camera effect? Keeping those nails as short as you can will help you fret a lot more cleanly. Looking at the pic it would seem that the 5th string (B) note is being muffled by the ring finger. Having the nail too long makes proper fretting difficult. Apologies if it's just a camera effect.
You might want to try this drill as a starter:
Leave the pinky planted on the G note, but fret a C chord with the other fingers. Then move to the G as you show it, but leaving the pinky planted.
The idea is to leave one planted as you move the other. That is the basis of many finger independence drills. I think those would be very useful for you.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-04-2022, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

What Andre said. Move the fingers up closer behind the frets. If the index finger is planted on the B string it's a Gadd11 chord.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write