The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-07-2021, 12:05 PM

+1 on the nasal strips. They open the nostrils enough to reduce turbulence caused by nasal congestion.

On the Afrin, it is VERY effective, but also VERY subject to a rebound effect (where your congestion actually gets worse). Give yourself breaks from it.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-08-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

My next to last recording project came out great other than the breathing in it so I feel Barry’s pain. I talked to my teacher about it and he told me to commit to mouth breathing. Well, I just posted another song today in S&T and the breathing noise is almost not noticeable so a big improvement. I just have to take care not to drool when I record………………..
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
My next to last recording project came out great other than the breathing in it so I feel Barry’s pain. I talked to my teacher about it and he told me to commit to mouth breathing. Well, I just posted another song today in S&T and the breathing noise is almost not noticeable so a big improvement. I just have to take care not to drool when I record………………..
For recording mouth breathing can be an advantage. But in general, nose breathing is what we were designed to do. Mouth breathing is very unhealthy, Especially if it becomes a persons default.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-09-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Since I rarely do solo guitar instrumental, take this with a grain of salt

But in general IMO I have found that breath noise frequency range is also where some of the desired "presence" and especially most of the "air" of recording lives, and often is the difference between what is perceived as being a nice full 3D recording and a less than desirable flat 2D recording .

And because of this I have found that noise reduction plugins that reduce breath noise often also reduce the air and are not great when simply applied to the entire track .
So I would agree with those saying much better to not get it into the recording in the first place

But if it does :::
As a general consideration plugin automation is often the key (That is only have the reduction exactly where it is needed and the offending noise is most pronounced)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-11-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Since I rarely do solo guitar instrumental, take this with a grain of salt

But in general IMO I have found that breath noise frequency range is also where some of the desired "presence" and especially most of the "air" of recording lives, and often is the difference between what is perceived as being a nice full 3D recording and a less than desirable flat 2D recording .

And because of this I have found that noise reduction plugins that reduce breath noise often also reduce the air and are not great when simply applied to the entire track .
So I would agree with those saying much better to not get it into the recording in the first place
Sensible advice. Taking care over mic placement can make a big difference. WHether recording mono or stereo I find angling the mics down to the gutar and away from the mouht/nose makes a big difference. And then there is that old chesnut practice! I find if I haven't recorded for a while I end up with the old breathing problems — I seem to forget about them in the interim!
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD