The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-05-2020, 08:42 AM

Default Does anyone hate Taylor ES System?

Matt and I had a quick discussion where we stumbled on a rather simple discovery with ES2. Because of the nature of the system and location of the sensors it’s a very good sounding system. However, it also makes the piezos very sensitive. We talked about backing off the sensors, but there is an even more obvious consideration. Gain. ES2 is a hot pickup and I usually keep the gain down to the detent or lower. Not saying it’s a panacea. But, maybe give it a try.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Thanks Dave and Matt. So are you getting the needed volume by adding it back at a mixer/preamp?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks Dave and Matt. So are you getting the needed volume by adding it back at a mixer/preamp?
That's what I've been doing. In my past couple of days of testing I've been running the Taylor through an HX Stomp and I use the Studio Mic Preamp to monkey with my level.

I did contact Taylor customer service today and they are sending me a new preamp. So that's good!

Matt
Old 06-05-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
That's what I've been doing. In my past couple of days of testing I've been running the Taylor through an HX Stomp and I use the Studio Mic Preamp to monkey with my level.

I did contact Taylor customer service today and they are sending me a new preamp. So that's good!

Matt
Thanks. Let me know how that goes.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
Let me know your opinion, they put the system on most of their guitar and I hate it...
Taylor ES sounds good to me. A lot better than the Fishman's that they put in Martin's.

Anyway, OP hasn't been back since the top of page 1, so it strikes me as one of those threads that perhaps belongs under a bridge... y'know, where the trolls hang out.

Last edited by Arthur Slowhand; 06-11-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Years ago I played a 314 with a Fishman preamp, pre ES system. Sounded pretty good. Other than that have only played one other Taylor I liked. It was one of the BTO 12 fret models no pickup. Have two stores near me full of Taylors. Can't find one I like at any price level.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:25 PM

I have the ES2 system in my Taylor 322Ce. I also have a Martin 000-18 that I put a Fishman Ellipse Aura pickup in. They both sound great live, easy to dial in regardless of the environment. I've gotten compliments on the tone of both guitars at different open mic's. These pickups have gotten so good, I just don't give them a second thought anymore - just plug in and dial in.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:09 PM

I absolutely hated the ES2 in my Taylor, but this was about 5 years back. Overly harsh and metallic, and the worst part was that it has this earthing problem. I had to be in physical contact with the cable, or my DI, for the constant low hum to go away.

I have a feeling that the ES2 must be properly calibrated - based on the variations of feedback I've come across. I think Taylor doesn't always do it properly, which is why some guitars can sound so horrible. Unfortunate, but I only realised this later. I promptly removed the ES2 after a couple of years and had a Baggs Anthem put it - zero complaints afterwards.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification