The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-10-2020, 10:44 AM

Default HOF 2 Reverb pedal problem.

I've got a Hall of Fame 2 verb pedal, which is actually one of the ones ranked up there for an acoustic guitar rig, by some accounts. But what's happening is a dramatic drop in my guitar's signal when engaged! I don't think this is normal. Or is is because the pedal is actually designed for electric guitars /pick ups.? Thanks for helping. Stay in, safe and healthy!!

Charles
Old 04-10-2020, 12:54 PM

It depends how much reverb you use. You will perceive a volume drop because reverb takes the presence out, but it is just as loud. I don't think the input of the pedal makes a difference at all. Acoustic only pedals usually have a 10m ohm input and most electrics have a 1k ohm. So if you guitar sounds good straight into an amp or pa the HOF2 would sound the same. Under saddle pickups benefit from 10m ohm inputs.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Thanks Rocker Duck. Something I should have noted if you think this matters in this case. The HOF2 output is routed to my Boss VE Acoustic singer. It has built in verb settings, but I wanted some additional pedal control /settings for on the fly. So I wonder if this placement matters here.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercn View Post
But what's happening is a dramatic drop in my guitar's signal when engaged!
I know it may be obvious, but were is the pedal's level control set? Is everything still quiet even if you turn up the level knob?

Also, individual patches on the pedal may have different volume curves set in the patch itself. Does it happen for all patches, or just certain ones?
Old 04-11-2020, 07:52 AM

Thanks for that idea. So far the level knob makes no difference in guitar level, no matter the reverb parameter. I need to do more experimenting with other sign chains. Next to put the HOF directly into my Amp and see if the issue is related to going into the Boss VE (guitar input). I'm using a Fishman preamp first in line on my board so you would think there is enough signal for the HOF.

Last night some demo videos for the HOF2 and Baggs Venue Reverb sounded beautiful with no noticeable overall signal drop. I assume they were not routing like I do..
Old 04-12-2020, 08:44 AM

Follow up. Having the HOF2 go directly into my PA, and no matter the settings, the reduced presence of the guitar is far too much for me.. Thanks for the help. To be continued...

Thanks
Old 04-12-2020, 11:22 AM

Maybe I missed this but have you tried different the various reverb algorithms on the HOF?
Old 04-12-2020, 02:35 PM

HI are you referring to algorithms on the unit itself, or that can be tweaked / downloaded from the website?
Old 04-12-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
HI are you referring to algorithms on the unit itself, or that can be tweaked / downloaded from the website?
Just on the unit itself.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:44 PM

Are you saying there is a drop in volume when you hit the switch on the pedal to turn reverb on, and then the volume jumps back up when you press the switch to de-activate the reverb? That definitely would be odd. I use my HOF2 in the effects loop of my preamp and that doesn't happen.

Or is the volume difference when the HOF2 is in your pedal chain vs when the pedal is removed entirely?
Old 04-14-2020, 03:56 PM

To Chipolte and all others that sent comments / trouble shooting: Thanks! Because it did get me looking deeper. PROBLEM SOLVED- feeling very stupid. First to answer Chipolte it was when I hit the pedal off an on that the volume / presence cut down.

So I did these two things and it works great now -(the battery part may not have mattered but I don't care right now) - its works.

I opened up the back panel to reveal the two dip switches, and the 9V battery compartment. I never went in there before, thinking I did not need a battery, since I use the power cord.

The first / upper dip switch was NOT set to "True Bypass", which I did after reading about those settings. The other one I think was set to "Kill Dry" on, and I changed that. That is likely a big culprit - because Kill Dry =removes all direct signals from the pedals output, which is only used if the pedal is placed in a parallel effects loop. I put in a 9 V battery -although the manual does not say that must be there in addition to the power cord. But in any event the HOF2 works like a charm now - !!!! Charles
Old 04-19-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
To Chipolte and all others that sent comments / trouble shooting: Thanks! Because it did get me looking deeper. PROBLEM SOLVED- feeling very stupid. First to answer Chipolte it was when I hit the pedal off an on that the volume / presence cut down.

So I did these two things and it works great now -(the battery part may not have mattered but I don't care right now) - its works.

I opened up the back panel to reveal the two dip switches, and the 9V battery compartment. I never went in there before, thinking I did not need a battery, since I use the power cord.

The first / upper dip switch was NOT set to "True Bypass", which I did after reading about those settings. The other one I think was set to "Kill Dry" on, and I changed that. That is likely a big culprit - because Kill Dry =removes all direct signals from the pedals output, which is only used if the pedal is placed in a parallel effects loop. I put in a 9 V battery -although the manual does not say that must be there in addition to the power cord. But in any event the HOF2 works like a charm now - !!!! Charles

Yep, the kill dry sounds like the culprit, you’ll have only effect and no original signal. Odd that it should be set up that way; did you buy it used?

If you are using the pedal with a power supply or a power brick take the battery out. It won’t be used while you are plugged into external power and you risk battery leakage, especially if you forget it’s in there!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-19-2020, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the advice on the battery. I did not buy the HOF2 new, but in "mint" condition from Reverb. Not sure why it was set that way. Dip switches in a pedal frankly is new to me, so until now they just went under my radar. They are mentioned in the manual but I guess. I glossed over that. Now I know.

Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the battery. I did not buy the HOF2 new, but in "mint" condition from Reverb. Not sure why it was set that way. Dip switches in a pedal frankly is new to me, so until now they just went under my radar. They are mentioned in the manual but I guess. I glossed over that. Now I know.

Thanks!!

Glad it worked out!

There are dip switches on my Flashback X4, one of which is designed to let the delayed signal remain even when the effect is switched off. It means an echo is allowed to decay out rather than just be abruptly turned off mid delay - frankly I can’t understand why that isn’t the default position but I guess it depends on where the effect is used (like in a loop for example).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, hof2, pedal, reverb