The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 05:01 AM

Smile Silent Guitar -Yamaha SLG200N worth it?

Hi,

I'm considering getting a silent Yamaha SLG200N because i want to play quietly at night due to my neighbors and i want the classical sound of nylon strings.

MY only concerns are these
* I hear the action is quite high compared to a typical classical guitar
* I hear that the neck is narrower than a typical classical guitar. The older SLG200NW has a wider neck (53mm) than SLG200N (50mm) but they have discontinued SLG200NW.

This concerns me because I have to be lucky to find someone who has the skills to lower the action of a SLG200N and pay extra for that and the narrower neck concerns me due to my big hands.

Are there other / better options than the SLG200N?
Help would be very much appreciated
Old 08-10-2018, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I ordered the steel string version and sent it back the next day.

The intonation was off, it needed a set up, the upper half of the "body" kept coming loose no matter how much I tightened it and the neck would have worked well for a Louisville Slugger. Also, there was no character to the tone - very sterile.

I had wanted an acousticoid sound with excellent feedback resistance for gigs in loud environments, as well as something small to transport. This just wasn't quite it for me. I then bought a Godin A6 Ultra, which has proven to be perfect for my needs. For your stated needs, I would advise exploring the Godin nylon string version of my guitar.

Here's one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ral-semi-gloss

Last edited by Nymuso; 08-10-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:50 AM

I second the Godin recommendation and also bought/returned the steel SLG200S.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-10-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I had wanted an acousticoid sound with excellent feedback resistance for gigs in loud environments, as well as something small to transport. This just wasn't quite it for me. I then bought a Godin A6 Ultra, which has proven to be perfect for my needs. For your stated needs, I would advise exploring the Godin nylon string version of my guitar.

Here's one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ral-semi-gloss

Thank you for the recommendation! Can i play the Godin A6 Ultra with headphones? It's seems to have a good sound. I'm really into classical spanish guitar thought, but i guess it could use it for that
Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 AM

I should probably have posted this in Classical guitar section. This is regarding the Nylon version of the Yamaha SLG200N not the steel string Version.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
I should probably have posted this in Classical guitar section. This is regarding the Nylon version of the Yamaha SLG200N not the steel string Version.
Understood. That link I posted will bring you to the nylon string version with the classical neck. But, no it does not have the headphone jack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
high action, slg200, slg200n, slg200s, yamaha