The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

The Martins that most intrigue me are their reproductions of 30s models. They do a great job with those.

Taylor doesn't have anything like that, but I see and hear lots of great music made with Taylor guitars that sound fabulous. I have great admiration for their business model and wood supply management.

Perception ... The V class marketing thing pretty much erased whatever interest I may have had in owning a Taylor.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
And at the end of it all, another example of how threads about brands always seem to end up going sideways. We went from an innocent OP about two guitar brands and their approach to marketing their product and image to which guitar brand is better and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Just a Sunday morning observation.
Absolutely correct. Almost wish Id never started it !
Old 09-13-2020, 12:51 PM

Well...it is my perception that Taylor makes a lot of changes to their bracing pattern every few years. Why do they do that more than Martin/Gibson/Larrivee? Does it suggest they are searching for the right formula? It seems as though Andy is on innovation overdrive. Why?

I guess I will wait until they settle on the final next design.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
Yes, it can get a little weird at times. Don’t let it bother you.

It’s just guitars and your allowed to have an opinion no matter what anybody else tries to read into it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-13-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Well...it is my perception that Taylor makes a lot of changes to their bracing pattern every few years. Why do they do that more than Martin/Gibson/Larrivee? Does it suggest they are searching for the right formula? It seems as though Andy is on innovation overdrive. Why?

I guess I will wait until they settle on the final next design.
Maybe Taylor isn’t content to rest on its laurels. There is always room for improvement.

A few years ago, C.F. Martin lamented that he was constrained from innovating by his most loyal customers who would object to the introduction of any advancements.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

page 5, time for more popcorn....
Old 09-13-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Maybe Taylor isn’t content to rest on its laurels. There is always room for improvement.

A few years ago, C.F. Martin lamented that he was constrained from innovating by his most loyal customers who would object to the introduction of any advancements.
Yet they have been quite a bit over the past couple years, 1st w/ the Modern Deluxe series, then most recently w/ the SC-13e.

They don't implement wholesale changes though.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post

When they settle on a bracing pattern for more than a week and you are sure that they have finally found something that is worth resting on their laurels, wake me up. Until that time, I do not want to buy a guitar where they think they have something better in 2/3 yrs.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post
Okay, since we're talking perception, eye of the beholder stuff, I'll admit that way deep down I think of a Taylor as a more feminine guitar, akin to a Luna. I can't really explain why, I just can't ever see myself owning one even if I found one that I really loved. I know it's stupid headstock bias, but I can't get past it.

There, I said it. Fire away.
HOW DARE YOU! (Kidding) Those curves on my GA do remind of... well, never mind lest I be censored! My .02 is the marketing styles are closer than many will admit. Someone mentioned Ms. Ponzio's presentations. They can sound as over the top as any Taylor ad. Neither offend me, I consider the source; a guitar mfg trying to sell guitars. Thank goodness we can all enjoy this weighty issue is what I say!

One last. For the Furch guy. I've owned Taylor's and Martins but never seen a Furch. They sound/look good on videos but there are easier options here in middle America.

Last edited by FOG01; 09-13-2020 at 09:17 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-13-2020, 06:39 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
Naw, don't worry about it. Sometimes we need to just hash things out a bit. As long as it doesn't get personal, it's good. One thing: threads like this show how passionate guitarists are about their instruments and chosen makers.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-14-2020, 05:07 AM

Re: The original post: "Satan is Real"? A "420" Guitar? The Ed Sheeran Jr dreads? The fun prodding of Gibson with the CEO series? Stratabond necks? The new 413CE? I could go on.

I'm glad Chris has had some fun over the years, and none of this detracts from the outstanding guitars Martin has been making this century. But there's a little "Crazy Eddie" vibe to some of this stuff.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Five pages of Ford vs. Chevy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
When they settle on a bracing pattern for more than a week and you are sure that they have finally found something that is worth resting on their laurels, wake me up. Until that time, I do not want to buy a guitar where they think they have something better in 2/3 yrs.
Might there be a certain absence of logic in the above? Do you refuse to buy cars, computers and smartphones because the manufacturers continue to improve them rather than make the same model year in and year out?

I am very glad I bought a Taylor 814c twenty-four years ago as its tone is most satisfying. I would never sell it even though I laud the improvements Taylor has made since 1996. I’m glad Taylor is committed to ever advancing the art and science of guitar construction.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:07 AM

In 1971, I purchased a Martin D-28 brand new (sadly just missing the Brazilian era). It developed a curl in the pickguard and I hadn't played it in years, but recently had it refurbished and am now playing it again. I've also acquired two Taylors--a 712 and a GS Mini Rosewood; and two more Martins--an 00-28 and a DJr. I like them all. In a practice session, I'll keep my interest up by switching from one to another.

Nevertheless, I'm not wed to either Martin or Taylor. I'm now negotiating for a Collings 0028 14-Fret. Depending on how much I like the Collings, my Martins and Taylors may see a lot less use.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:18 AM

I just caught this thread 5 days late so didn't read more than the first page of replies.

Both Taylor and Martin are trying to reach a broad segment of the guitar population, and IMO each have a "sweet spot" where they their "flagship" models and have the most perceived playing value. Particularly in Taylor's case, the cheaper models tend to be a bit overpriced and their super-pricey models have to compete with custom/boutique brands and models. Once you get into the $4k range they start competing with Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, etc. In the lower range people see great value in Yamaha, Blueridge, Eastman, etc where Taylor and Martin depend on brand name to get the extra dollars for comparable level guitars. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion