The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
If rick-slo 's post is an accurate representation of your recording
Let there be no doubt! Of course it's just a visual aid since there has been doubt expressed by OP.

Sound was recorded in Audacity. Waveform in Audacity screen captured and saved as a jpg via photo editor.

In any case one should be able to hear this or all the rest about pre and post recording tweaks of this and that is rather futile.

There are settings in both Steinberg UR44 and the DAW to consider. Probably the most direct thing to do to not mess up some
setting is to set the DAW to defaults. Have the DAW set to record a stereo track which will automatically be panned hard R and L
(at this point do not try to use two separate mono tracks). Still mono result then something about the Steinberg UR44 settings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM

This is the stereo settings, I choosed. I can hear it from the left on my headphones.

The same, from the right.

My inputs settings.

My output settings.

The full levels of my mentioned stereo settings.

And here you can see the levels, when I turn of Left and Right and pan them manually to L and R.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I don't use a UR44 but it looks like to me you are recording the left mike as a mono input and the right mike as a mon input. When you combine those as they are it will end up with a mono sound.
I believe you need to select the "S" button to have a single stereo track.

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-28-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I don't use a UR44 but it looks like to me you are recording the left mike as a mono input and the right mike as a mon input. When you combine those as they are it will end up with a mono sound.
I believe you need to select the "S" button to have a single stereo track.
Unfortunately, the S button is for Solo, M is for Mute. The question is, if I even can change it to stereo now, when it's already recorded. I tried almost everything, what I could, but no better results. I can try a plugin MonoToStereo, it helped spread the sound a little bit.

Last edited by Larsis; 11-28-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Don’t you have pan controls on each channel? If not, I’d get some other software. Audacity is free, if nothing else.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsis View Post
Unfortunately, the S button is for Solo, M is for Mute. The question is, if I even can change it to stereo now, when it's already recorded.
I figured you did that, but yes, you have to record again from scratch.

Don't feel bad as it can be confusing. This guy on youtube giving a "Master Class" in XY made the same mistake (as I just posted a comment to that effect)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHz1AoDnuI

Old 11-28-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Don’t you have pan controls on each channel? If not, I’d get some other software. Audacity is free, if nothing else.
I have, I'm using Cubase.
Quote:
I figured you did that, but yes, you have to record again from scratch.
Interesting thing: I just figured out, that manually panned or automatically panned is the same thing. Honestly, I don't have strenght to record it again, I recorded it so many times , for now I'll keep it. But I have Pro Tools SE as well, worth to see, if it was something in setup.

I fell like an idiot right now, I have so many microphones for nothing..
Old 11-28-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsis View Post
Unfortunately, the S button is for Solo, M is for Mute. The question is, if I even can change it to stereo now, when it's already recorded. I tried almost everything, what I could, but no better results. I can try a plugin MonoToStereo, it helped spread the sound a little bit.

Unfortunately I use pro tools and I am not at all familiar with Cubase's GUI
It looks like your inputs and outputs are correct .
You may want to consider joining the Seinburg forums for more targeted expertise in cubase specifically

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/

That said
I cannot see any pan controls on any of your screen shots. Can you do a screen shot of your mixer ? and do you know where the pan control/s are?

BTW the left and right mics should be recorded as mono, given they are in fact mono mics and it should make no difference if it is a stereo track, or two mono tracks ... NOTE a stereo track is actually just two mono inputs one left and one right, that are feeding the same single split/stacked mono tracks, with one set of controls . Where two separate mono tracks have obviously two sets of controls.
Either way the recording are actually dual mono.

Also Zoom way in on the waveforms for your left and right and see it the are exactly the same or slightly different...If they are exactly the same i.e. you could overlay one over the other and there would be no variation then you are actually getting the signal from only one mi
c ....if they are slight different then you are getting the signal from two different mics

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW the left and right mics should be recorded as mono and should make no difference if it is a stereo track or two mono tracks ... NOTE a stereo track is in fact two mono inputs one left and one right, that are bussed to the same double mono track .
Two main reasons I record a stereo track rather than two separate mono tracks:

1. Less chance for routing and panning errors.

2. Much easier to do clip simultaneous editing of R and L sides in one stereo track.

Most plugins that I use can work with the R and L sides individually should that be desired (though that would be rare for me to want other than a R or L track delay or the use of a stereo reverb)

Old 11-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Two main reasons I record a stereo track rather than two separate mono tracks:

1. Less chance for routing and panning errors.

2. Much easier to do clip simultaneous editing of R and L sides in one stereo track.

Most plugins that I use can work with the R and L sides individually should that be desired (though that would be rare for me to want other than a R or L track delay or the use of a stereo reverb)
That may be the way you prefer to work and your DAW choice , which is great.

For me in Pro Tools it makes no difference at all .
In either routing selection, panning , or editing, given PT can edit multiple tracks simultaneously with a single swipe .
The point still remains the problem he is having looks to be in a single stereo track from his screen shot
Looks like a stereo track to me

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That may be the way you prefer to work and your DAW choice , which is great. For me in Pro Tools it makes no difference.
In either routing selection or editing, given PT can edit multiple tracks simultaneously with a single swipe .
The point still remains the problem he is having looks to be in a single stereo track from his screen shot
Say you want to rearrange the recording, delete out an extra repeat of something you played. If you can do that simultaneously and equally to each mono track with one click then that's great. Or you want
one instance of some reverb affecting both R and L sides without having to set up a send track/return, etc., then that's also great.

Regarding the screen shots, I not familiar with that DAW interface to be sure. I do know there are other settings that are setup in other interfaces not shown in the screen shots.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Say you want to rearrange the recording, delete out an extra repeat of something you played. If you can do that simultaneously and equally to each mono track with one click then that's great. Or you want
one instance of some reverb affecting both R and L sides without having to set up a send track/return, etc., then that's also great.
Yes you can select any specific length section of audio (like a repeat or bad note or mic click etc. etc., by clicking and dragging a single swipe on as many mono tracks (or stereo or instrument tracks and any combo of any of them ) as you want and hit delete and that section of audio and or midi notes will be deleted or changed or automated as desired on all selected tracks . As well as fade in and outs on any edits simultaneously on all selected tracks. There really are some very good reasons PT became the industry standard for Digital Audio editing and mixing , for example stereo tracks in PT have two individual left and right pan knobs, that can be independent ,or linked to go the same direction, or linked to go opposite directions......... But ultimately what we are really talking about is as much or more about individual personal workflow preference. For example since I always use session templates, my parallel reverb send and return are already set up in the session before I even start to record.

Quote:
Regarding the screen shots, I not familiar with that DAW interface to be sure. I do know there are other settings that are setup in other interfaces not shown in the screen shots.
I am not familiar with it either and no doubt there are dropdown windows and selection options not shown. However I looked at the steinburg/cubase website and a few youtube vids and am pretty certain he is showing a single stereo track

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
However I looked at the steinburg/cubase website and a few youtube vids and am pretty certain he is showing a single stereo track
I use Cubase and yeah, those are two stereo tracks he's recorded to. Note what's called the Inspector to the left: panning is disabled so everything is coming right up the middle, summed to mono, I think.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the left track is panned left, but the right track (image below) says (in faint print) no panner. That needs to be enabled and panned right. Still odd to have that happen. In my DAW when I record a stereo track R and L are automatically panned hard right and hard left respectively. Who knows, maybe the raw recording was panned correctly but things get messed up when the wav file is exported. Worth looking into that.

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-28-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:14 PM

I think what he did was to record to 2 stereo tracks, the left input to one and the right input to the other. I can only assume that neither track will allow panning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD