The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Go on buy the Collings, you won't regret it
I'm slowing down these days playing guitar, still enjoy it but play less in my advancing years. I have been thinning out my guitar collection, let go a nice Martin OM and an Bourgeois Age Tone OM but kept my two Collings OM's, both superb well balanced guitars.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 PM

I would be the last one to talk you out of a Collings. Moved to a Collings OM from Martins eight years ago or so. There are many fine guitars, but Collings fit me better than the many others I've played. (And I still own a Martin and have two fine Huss & Daltons.)

You'll have to play and find out for yourself. I now have a second Collings OM. I think they are remarkably expressive as well as--particularly in how they develop through time--beautiful sounding guitars.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Play a bunch, and for more than 30 minutes. Don't assume that you'll 'love' Collings based on their (well deserved) reputation. There's an X-factor that you just can't know until it's in your hands.

I played Martin guitars for many years, before and after the following story, and I love them all. I don't think I've ever played a Martin I didn't like. I decided that it was time for me to get a one-and-done high-end boutique guitar in the Martin style so I headed to The Music Emporium to test drive a few brands. I was pretty convinced that either a Bourgeois or if not then definitely a Collings would be my Zen.

I played several Bourgeois guitars and while great sounding and builds, nothing spoke to me. Then I went to Collings - exact same thing. Played a bunch of other guitars and finally picked up a Santa Cruz and BOOM! It didn't so much speak to me as serenade me with it's siren song. I played them for years along with many a Martin.

The lesson is don't think that you'll like Collings and it will be your jam until you've spent some them with a few. The good news is that of all the top tier boutique builders, Collings seem to hold its value the best.

As to the comment earlier that a Froggy Bottom will talk you out of the Collings (or anything else) in my experience this is true. While at that trip to TME, I picked up a used Froggy H14 in something over Brazilian. It was a WOW moment. It talked me out of any guitar I played that day. Then the price tag talked me out of the Froggy!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
Talk me out of a Collings...
Come on, Soggy. Come on out of that guitar. You can do it. I don't know how you got in there, but if you got in, you can get out. Come on, boy. Just crawl back on out of there, and then you can have some ice cream.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
If I were spending $4,000 I'd travel to a store with a sizable collection of guitars in that range and play them all.

It doesn't take me 30 minutes to know if a guitar is the one. Some I know are not the one in just a few seconds.

Santa Cruz, Collings and Martin: you can't go too far wrong with those choices. Enjoy the search.
Disagree. I've found that Martins are like Gibsons. Some have it, some don't. Was playing a D35 yesterday and was a dog compared to the D18 hanging next to it. That's just the latest example of what I've found playing different Martins over the past 35 years. You've got to play them to know if it's good or not. Gibson the same exact thing. Haven't played a Collings guitar (though I've played their mandolins), but I get the impression that one can count on the average Collings to sound/play/look more impressive sight-unseen, than the average Martin or Gibson. That's what the boutique market buys you. They make less instruments, so their quality control is better. I know that in boutique electric guitars, I've owned 4 Tom Andersons and played many more, and every single one was exceptional. Versus Fender, Gibson, etc... where it's the luck of the draw which ones really stand-out.

Last edited by Red_Label; 11-13-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming Blueridge is vintage voiced in the Martin tradition. If that is true and that is the typical voicing the OP likes in a guitar, he will NOT like Collings.

A vintage voiced guitar in the Martin tradition will be bass-biased, slightly midrange scooped, and have an old time, mellow and smooth voicing.

Collings are definitely on the modern tonal spectrum, have a tight, quick bass, a "hot" midrange, pronounced highs, and a highly articulate piano-like tone. They play like a coiled spring, and output about 115% of what you put into them. Very loud, cutting instruments. Great for flatpicking and fingerstyle, not so much for strumming IMO (not nearly mellow or blended enough).

Collings also demand your very best playing, and they will let you know if your fretting technique is less than perfect. Having owned several and played dozens, and directly comparing them to Martin equivalents, I find Collings OMs to be lacking in bass, and their dreads to have only modestly more bass then a typical Martin OM.

Sorry to be the contrarian here, but I think the OP should hear the counterpoint, considering he currently plays a guitar in the Martin tradition. Take this advice for what it's worth...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-13-2019, 12:58 PM

I have a 0002h and it’s lovely.
The 3rd string on mine when tuned to G is a bit dull. Think it’s called a wolf note.
2018 - B&G Caletta Private Build All Mahogany
2018 - National NRP Steel 12 Fret
2008 - Collings 0002h
2006 - NK Forster Model C

2017 - Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Limited Edition
2015 - Fender Telecaster Custom Shop

2017 - Ome Tupelo Open Back Banjo
Old 11-13-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Ok, I’ll talk you out of it. Loud amplification with in built electronics will remove much of what makes a high end guitar betterer than a mid- price one.
I have and love my 000 Collings, and have a K&K/RedEye I use for open mics when I play out. By the time drums, bass and another guitar get going, I totally agree with JC's above statement. I love my Collings for its balanced acoustic qualities, but loud amplified situations neutralizes most of that IMO. Mine also doesn't have on board electronics, and I'd be unwilling to put anything more invasive than the K&K in for fear of altering its acoustic sound. Are you sure you don't need a Collings for sweet acoustic playing and a Taylor or something for a more amplified sound?
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 11-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming Blueridge is vintage voiced in the Martin tradition. If that is true and that is the typical voicing the OP likes in a guitar, he will NOT like Collings.
It’s not an either-or proposition. It’s possible the OP might like/appreciate both.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Those Collings models are not sold with a pickup system in them, so you'll need to budget that, and you won't know whether it solves your problem with amplification until you've spent a lot of money and made the guitar unreturnable. IOW, if you go the Collings route, I'd have done a lot of research and listening to the model(s) you're looking at with pickups in them to know where I'd be going so it doesn't turn into one of those elusive (expensive) pickup/preamp quests I see documented too often in guitar forums...
Old 11-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
It’s not an either-or proposition. It’s possible the OP might like/appreciate both.
No doubt, Paul. But I made that assumption because of his opening statement:

"I've had all sorts of things come into and out of my hands, but not been in love or felt like the quality/sound/playability was worth the stretch above the ol' Blueridges."

Let's wait to see what he says in response now.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Talk the OP out of Collings? How about...

Collings spelled backward is sgnilloC. Does that REALLY sound like a $4k guitar to you?

...nah.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Maybe it's just where I am, but I never see boutique guitars with installed pickups being played out at open mikes. About the costliest I see are Martins and Taylors. No Collings. I guess people don't want them stolen or something. Or dinged.

I had a Collings D for a while, a long time ago, and loved it. Then after a while I no longer loved it. I fell out of love with its tone. Then I played it back to back with some other guy's somewhat cheaper Martin D28H, and we both thought the Martin sounded better. Warmer, more blended tone, but single notes were still clear.

But tone preferences are individual, and as above shows can even vary within the same individual !

I think you should get a guitar you love, but recognize that you may not love it forever. And also get the right instrument for its intended use; eg don't take a bazooka to a knife fight, or whatever.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Talk yourself out of it. Collings are fine guitars but not the tone I care for. But many people love them. Why not let your ears decide rather than listen to us opinionated forum members?
Old 11-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPicker View Post
Maybe it's just where I am, but I never see boutique guitars with installed pickups being played out at open mikes. About the costliest I see are Martins and Taylors. No Collings. I guess people don't want them stolen or something. Or dinged.
I see them. Not as common as a Taylor or Martin (or Tak or whatever), by far, but they're out there. Could be because they're from nearby, too, and have local dealers. I'd say the folks that have them and play out use them for the most part.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion