The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2021, 02:41 PM

I can understand shaving the underside of the neck but there's a lot more work involved to sand the width, including the frets, fretboard binding (if any), and the nut.

I would sell the guitar and find another unless you consider it a project guitar and you want to learn.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:48 PM

Thankyou all for the replies and sorry about my late response.

YamahaGuy:
Looks good and if you enjoy it and plays nice then its perfect!

ItaLuke:
Yea just from the sides, it'll be more like just rounding the edges, its already fairly slim flat C profile so not concerned with the depth. Just feels like im holding a double edged sword by the blade haha.
The nut I will try to leave (I may only remove 0.5mm a side) as string spacing is kinda nice and I want mainly the bottom E string closer to the edge to do the thumb playing, but if I have to go to a smaller nut I don't see why I couldn't just fit one.

goog64:
I will tackle this at some stage so will keep you posted!

flatfinger:
Thanks for the link! Im going to just leave the frets in with a straight edge piece of wood clamped to the fretboard. 2 reasons for that, so I can set the depth at 1st and 14th fret and sand with the electric sander flat and straight to it neatly, plus also to reduce risk of frets popping out.

thefsb:
Adapting would mean getting finger extensions haha. I have short stumpy hands unfortunately and can't physically het my hands around it. I know what you mean though. Got a few acoustics and my main gigging guitar has my favourite neck, its a Sigma 000-R28v, 1 11/16" with a soft V, stainless jumbo frets, plays like a dream for me. So yea after knowing more about necks id like to give this a shot

takamineGD93:
Yea id also like to see that! I couldn't find a single YouTube video doing this.

generalliamsayn:
None taken . Its actually a cheap guitar and I can't bring myself to sell it because I love the tone so I think its worth the experiment. Should be pretty simple to be honest, and im handy with tools and subscribe to the 6 P's (prior, planning, prevents, piss, poor, performance) only risk is frets lifting which ill have to bite the bullet and take it to my luthier to fix.

Tony Burns & Dru Edwards: ^ yea I think that covers why I wanna take the risk . No fretboard bindings to worry about either. Its literally a whisker off each side and it should make a world of difference.

Thanks all

Last edited by activateclint; 11-18-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:05 PM

Look into fretboard "rolled edges" and see if that's something that might fit your situation/desires.

There are YouTube videos a plenty on how to do this.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-19-2021, 06:27 PM

Just break out the Sawz-All and the angle grinder and have at it! Shouldn't be more than a thirty second job. That's the beauty of power tools.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Yeah - someone shoulda warned Clarence that altering that sound hole would make that guitar worthless . . .
Old 11-28-2021, 02:14 AM

Rudy and others have internet articles about narrowing necks without removing frets. I searched "narrowing electric guitar neck convert mandolin".

The large pad of a belt sander (hand held or table top) will be easier to handle than a circular sander or grinder. Use sandpaper suitable for cutting metal such as used for pin nailed oak floors. Go gently with multiple shallow passes. Cut some sheet metal guards protect djacent surfaces.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...o-octave-mando
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 11-28-2021, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Look into fretboard "rolled edges" and see if that's something that might fit your situation/desires.

There are YouTube videos a plenty on how to do this.
^^^^^^^^^^
What Frank said!

Rolling the edges will remove the ‘sharpness’ you complain about and make it much more comfortable in the hand - you won’t be structurally altering the neck, just making it feel like one of those old, much-played, vintage instruments. It’s quick and easy to do with far less chance of messing-up than if you start trying to shave the neck down narrower, it doesn’t require any re-finishing and, done carefully, it won’t harm the value of the guitar.

If it were my guitar and caused me discomfort, rolling the fretboard edges would be my solution.

Here’s Dan Erlewine on the subject… https://youtu.be/1I91qSfUQiU

…and Chris Walsh Custom Guitars’ take… https://youtu.be/OsfoOAJttyc

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 11-28-2021 at 04:14 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1 11/16 nut, 1 3/4 neck width, neck, shape, width