The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Soulmate Acoustic Reviews?

Hello all,
I have been tempted to pick up the Soulmate Acoustic and yes, I know there are many reviews here on the forum, but would like to know if anyone has any new thoughts or impressions of the SA after it has been out and in use for a while. For those who have one - would you keep it or have you moved on?

I guess I am not sure if it is worth the price since I have a pedalboard with individual pedals (mostly MXR analog and EHX pedals), an HX Stomp and the usual ToneDexter and assorted preamps.

What attracts me is the simplicity and completeness of the all in one solution. The reviews here were generally very good and the only downside was the price, although my individual pedal were more than the SA.

Thanks in advance
dcopper
Old 02-04-2020, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

It’s good but not all of the effects may be to your liking. Have you considered a Line 6 HX Effects?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:07 AM

I liked mine up until I had to play at high volumes. I just found it caused me all sorts of problems.

The auto feedback switch didn’t work particularly well and having the gain and output volume on the back just made things hard work for me so I ended up moving it on.

I think I’ve been through every single multi-effects acoustic pedal and I’ve found everyone has some compromise somewhere. I still own three multi effects acoustic pedals one of which is a TONEDEQ which sits on a pedalboard with some other pedals which add what I feel the TONEDEQ lacks.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-05-2020, 09:01 AM

Love mine. But, I use the basics...not the looper or effects.

Nice eq params and build quality. imho
Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 AM

I think it's one of the best multi effects units out there, but it is big and heavy and has full parametric EQs on all 3 bands, so you need to be able to use those successfully.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 AM

What does the Tonedeq lack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I liked mine up until I had to play at high volumes. I just found it caused me all sorts of problems.

The auto feedback switch didn’t work particularly well and having the gain and output volume on the back just made things hard work for me so I ended up moving it on.

I think I’ve been through every single multi-effects acoustic pedal and I’ve found everyone has some compromise somewhere. I still own three multi effects acoustic pedals one of which is a TONEDEQ which sits on a pedalboard with some other pedals which add what I feel the TONEDEQ lacks.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What does the Tonedeq lack?
For my uses it lacks a mute function, the ability to use reverb and delay rather than one or the other , treatment for under saddle pickups. Some may also want semi or parametric EQ

So I have it on a pedal board with a mute switch into a fender acoustic overdrive to a boss AD2 (which has ambience/reverb freeing up the delay on the Tonedeq) into the tonedeq. It’s all mounted on a metro 20 pedaltrain with a TREX fuel tank jr power supply and I’m really happy with it.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-05-2020, 07:02 PM

Good insight so thanks to all.

Aaron - I have the HX Stomp and probably don't need anything more. I just liked the thought of dials and an easily available eq, although I did not know it was full parametric.

I may just use my HEADWAY EDB2 for the eq. I like having mids control and not just the bass/treble of the ToneDexter. Surprisingly though, the RedEye with just the treble control works very well with K&K, without bass or mid controls.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:49 AM

Cool. Care to share a pic of the pedalboard and list out the chain order?
I have the same needs and went with a Zoom AC-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
For my uses it lacks a mute function, the ability to use reverb and delay rather than one or the other , treatment for under saddle pickups. Some may also want semi or parametric EQ

So I have it on a pedal board with a mute switch into a fender acoustic overdrive to a boss AD2 (which has ambience/reverb freeing up the delay on the Tonedeq) into the tonedeq. It’s all mounted on a metro 20 pedaltrain with a TREX fuel tank jr power supply and I’m really happy with it.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:45 PM

I’ve owned one since it first came out and I’m still gigging with it/liking it. It won’t beat individual pedals but it still is the best multi-pedal I’ve ever used and the all-in-one aspect is too convenient!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 02-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Cool. Care to share a pic of the pedalboard and list out the chain order?
I have the same needs and went with a Zoom AC-3
https://flic.kr/p/2iqobzG

Wee Lush Mute Switch > Fender Smolder > Boss AD-2 > Tonedeq

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification