The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Default What do I call this G chord?

I'm writing a song this morning where I'm using both the three-finger open G chord and the four-finger version where the pinky is down on the D note on the third fret. I'm trying to differentiate between the two G chords in in the chart I'm making, but I lack the theory knowledge to figure out the name of the four-finger version. Can someone bail me out? :-)
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry415 View Post
I'm writing a song this morning where I'm using both the three-finger open G chord and the four-finger version where the pinky is down on the D note on the third fret. I'm trying to differentiate between the two G chords in in the chart I'm making, but I lack the theory knowledge to figure out the name of the four-finger version. Can someone bail me out? :-)
If you are playing the 2nd fret on your A string (B note) then your playing a G chord, you are just eliminating one of the 3rds of the chord by moving your open B string to a D note, the 5th of the chord.

I like to not play the 2nd fret A string B note and mute it..then i have a modal G chord, no 3rd at all. I much prefer this voicing, you might consider giving it a try.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
If you are playing the 2nd fret on your A string (B note) then your playing a G chord, you are just eliminating one of the 3rds of the chord by moving your open B string to a D note, the 5th of the chord.

I like to not play the 2nd fret A string B note and mute it..then i have a modal G chord, no 3rd at all. I much prefer this voicing, you might consider giving it a try.
I know the sound you're talking about, and I like it, too. :-)

For this song, I'd like to stick with the two versions of G I mentioned. The reason I'm asking is that the chord charts my jam group creates for songs are simple... they refer to chords only by name, not by tab or diagrams. I'm looking for names to call these two G chords, so that our beginners can see there's a difference between the versions I want them to play. They don't need to necessarily understand what the name means. I can easily show them that when we play together. But they do need to see that there isn't only one version of G in the song.
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:36 AM

I call the 4-finger G chord "rock G" - and I've seen it called that by some guy on youtube too. I didn't encounter that shape as an option until some years ago, when I kept seeing it in charts for rock songs. Never (up to that point) for folk or acoustic songs.

So my suggestion is "rock G" for that one, and maybe "folk G" for the other one. Or - less ambiguously - "4-finger G" and "3-finger G".

If you need different names for a chord chart (ie for writing/reading) ... then I'd suggest just using chord boxes, and maybe labelling them "G(i)" and "G(ii)", whichever way round you like.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 AM

i think JonPR ideas are great and prob best for your application. However, if you really wanted to help them grow as players and begin to understand what they are doing, i'd suggest G and Gmodal or Gno3.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

As maplebaby noted, there is no theoretical difference between the quality of these chords because you still stacking notes from the fundamental G triad. In the first voicing the G has two thirds and one fifth while the second voicing has one third and two fifths.
Because that second third in the first voicing is really a tenth, I suppose you could call it G10th and the other voicing (with two fifths, where the second fifth is really a twelfth) G12th.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Db

My gigging partner and I call them Traditional G and Four-Finger-G (which matches up with Four-Finger-C, and Four-Finger-F).

And if you lift the middle finger off the Low E when playing Four-Finger-G, you get a version of Em7.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-29-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post

If you’re playing 3x0033, then you’re playing only roots and fifths, a power chord, not a different voicing of a G major.

For the OP, I’ve also heard that chord named “big G”. I guess it’s because it’s a brighter sounding G chord. 3 or 4 finger G chords are both G major, just a different voicing.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:55 PM

Back in the day, I heard this referred to as a "Beatles G" given its sound in relation to some of their songs.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 PM

When I was growing up, I saw my Dad use the 4 finger G chord all the time, and the only thing I ever heard him or his friends call it was the "Country G"...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone. This has been both amusing and educational... I had no idea there'd be such a range of answers. :-) I'll mull it all over and pick something that'll cause the least confusion for the beginners in my group, I guess.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:47 AM

Don't leave us in suspense.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 06-30-2018, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

How about G add D?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-30-2018, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
How about G add D?
You know what? That's simple, economical, unambiguous, and surprisingly descriptive for beginners to understand. Jelly, I think you've won this contest.

For the chord that has no name... GaddD works for me. YMMV
Old 06-30-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
You know what? That's simple, economical, unambiguous, and surprisingly descriptive for beginners to understand. Jelly, I think you've won this contest.

For the chord that has no name... GaddD works for me. YMMV
I think I could probably guess it means that chord shape, but it would be confusing at first. "Is it a typo? I mean, G already has a D in it..."
Maybe "GaddanotherD"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write