The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2023, 11:06 AM

Lightbulb The Magical Mystery Alvarez!

Hello esteemed members of the Acoustic Guitar forum. Take a look at this image:

Right-Click and open in new tab and the watermark should disappear.

The baby in this picture would grow up to become Multi-Platinum-Winning recording artist Adam Young (AKA Owl City). On his Sky Sailing side project, he used this very guitar to record all acoustic tracks on the album An Airplane Carried Me To Bed. Listen here and I believe you will agree it is one of the most unique guitar tones you will ever hear. (The second track, Brielle, the fourth, Explorers, and the fifth, A Little Opera Goes A Long Way, all truly highlight the amazing tone of the instrument quite well.)

Now I'm sure you know where I'm going with this...I'd like to get a guitar like this myself! The only problem is of course, identifying it.

Adam himself has been quoted as saying this guitar is: 1. A 1969 Alvarez ... 2. A 1979 Alvarez ... and 3. An old Alvarez his uncle bought in 1969! But the made in 69 story seems to be the most common, and it's what I'd like to believe.

That is all I have to go on. Alvarez themselves told me their records only go back to 1971 so no help there. And this guitar has never been photographed again as far as I'm aware, as Adam plays Taylors on stage.

BUT as you can see, there are a few very defining characteristics of this guitar. One is the pickguard. I've never seen one like it. I highly doubt Adam's uncle was a luthier, as he said his only musical family influence was his grandma. So I think that it is stock, but on all the old alvarezes, I've yet to see one that snakes around the soundhole like that. Second is the headstock. That is not the typical Alvarez logo, but Adam has been consistent in saying that it is an Alvarez.

Wish I had more, but I figured that the people here who know much more than I do would be helpful in my quest to bring this amazing guitar tone into my life. Thank you for hearing me out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1969, alvarez, help id, identify, old guitar