The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2023, 11:43 AM

Default Anyone familiar with the Alvarez JYM80CE?

I'm looking for a jumbo acoustic guitar and would love to have a cutaway if possible but not necessary. The JYM80CE looks really nice but I couldn't any reviews and only saw one video that didn't help much. https://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/jym80ce/

My second choice is the Guild F-55E, which is not a cutaway, but looks and sounds beautiful. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-maple-natural
Old 10-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

That's a tough one without actually playing them.
Guild's big maple body guitars are legendary cannons. Depending on what you want, a safe choice.
The Alvarez is actually a Yairi, of course, which brings a solid reputation as a great maker over many decades. Many here, including me, are admirers of their work. I've owned 3, and would buy any of them again.
I suspect this Yairi is also a very good guitar, at the top of the current Yairi line. They wouldn't put anything but their best at this level, but that doesn't mean you would necessarily prefer it to the Guild.
But if the cutaway is an issue, if you can't play them, verify a liberal return policy from your dealer. This is a big $ choice to make without an escape hatch.

Last edited by jonbee; 10-24-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the response jonbee. I actually bought the Guild F-55e and I have 30 days to return it no questions asked... I also went to a music store and tried about 15 different Taylor's and the Gibson SJ-200 and SJ-100, and I definitely like the Guild much better than all of them, tighter low end, great neck and feels better built overall. That Alvarez Yari JYM80CE does intrigue me because it is also a flamed maple jumbo and it's a cutaway. Looks well built, but with no reviews of any kind, very hard to tell. It is also a special order. I'm loving the Guild, but wanted to check out all options before my return period is over.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you've got a winner already, if you prefer the Guild over the others you mention.
My first good guitar was a mid-60s Guild F-512 12 string in 1970. I still remember the astonishing sound.
Guilds are some of the most under-appreciated instruments, except by pro musicians worldwide.
Have fun!

Last edited by jonbee; 10-24-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny72 View Post
Thanks for the response jonbee. I actually bought the Guild F-55e and I have 30 days to return it no questions asked... I also went to a music store and tried about 15 different Taylor's and the Gibson SJ-200 and SJ-100, and I definitely like the Guild much better than all of them, tighter low end, great neck and feels better built overall. That Alvarez Yari JYM80CE does intrigue me because it is also a flamed maple jumbo and it's a cutaway. Looks well built, but with no reviews of any kind, very hard to tell. It is also a special order. I'm loving the Guild, but wanted to check out all options before my return period is over.
Those Guild jumbos are some of the nicest in the world to me. Since you already played some, you know what to expect, and I predict that you will love the guitar.

Yairi makes stunning instruments, but they are often hard to find to try out. That's kind of the MO of Alvarez and Yairi in general.

Anyway, I believe you made a wonderful choice.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for their replies, really helped solidify my decision to stay with the Guild.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, f-55e, guild, jym80ce