The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-02-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
If you’re playing 3x0033, then you’re playing only roots and fifths, a power chord, not a different voicing of a G major.

For the OP, I’ve also heard that chord named “big G”. I guess it’s because it’s a brighter sounding G chord. 3 or 4 finger G chords are both G major, just a different voicing.
I didn’t say it was a different voicing of G major. I did say it was a modal G chord meaning neither major or minor. Technically it’s not a chord at all which is why I used the word voicing.

I like that term better for three reasons other than your suggestion of ‘power chord.’ One, it’s musically correct, power chord is a guitar driven term not taught in general music theory instruction. Second, power chord usually says to guitar players a two string fingering that is often adequate and easier to play rather than a chord requiring more string being played. Third, a ‘power chord’ isn’t a chord so we are misleading players who perhaps don’t understand that a chord requires at least 3 diffferent notes.

Last edited by maplebaby; 07-02-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:42 AM

I don't know if this will add to the discussion but I've recently learned a new song I will play at my church that has a very Celtic sound to it. It's played in the key of Am and I find when I play the 4 finger G major chord it helps the "Celtic" sound. Don't really know why or even if it's just me but I like it!

I've always struggled accurately hitting that D on the second string but since I've been practicing this song, I can nail it about 99% of the time.

(To give you an idea of what it often sounded like before I started this project, play a 4 finger G major chord and place your fretting-hand ring finger on the third fret of the third string... yuck!)

Best,
PJ
Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Great posts. This is a conversation which is confusing for a lot of players , specific to voicings for guitarists, but also to pianists who are trying to derive "meaning" from strange chord symbols which come from charts transcribed from original guitar recordings. I play through tons of charts weekly in my church gig and talk to pianists and guitar students etc. about all of this stuff. So, I'll add my 2c.

First, on standard charts, there's no differentiation for specific VOICINGS for something like "G". If the third is omitted, "no3" seems to have become more standard than something like "G5", at least from publishing companies.

For the most part, talking about specific voicings is simply for communicating with OTHER GUITARISTS. So, if you're on stage with someone , and they ask "What are you playing?", you get more specific. ("Rock G" is apparently a thing. I've used it for years in teaching. Don't remember where from.)

The charts I look at for church very often have G(no3) etc. Usually, it serves one of about three different purposes: first, it's very often used to "level down " a verse so that you can really "open up " a little more on the preceding chorus. Basically it makes the verse sound more stark and the following chorus bigger. You're using the voicings to add an extra level of textural or dynamic variation. So Gno3 on the verse, then regular G on the chorus is pretty common.

Second, is for implying a modal sound, for Celtic type feels etc. When you leave out the third, it has a stark sound , and depending on the other chords used with it , can sometimes imply that it's neither major nor minor. If you're GOING for that in your own chart, then basically, it "matters" I guess. Similarly, very often, these contain kind of a drone element, kinda like a pedal on top . Off the top of my head, Wonderwall, has this thing going . Rock G fingerings, and then, all of the other chords are basically those top three notes, with only the bass changing?. Again, this is just an effect. It's only important, IF it IS. I know that doesn't help maybe. Looks something like this:

3 X 0 0 3 3
2 X 0 0 3 3
0 2 0 0 3 3
X 3 X 0 3 3
X 2 X 0 3 3
X 0 2 0 3 3
X X 0 2 3 3

The chord symbols which result from these kind of things on guitar, make piano players nuts with what's on the printed page. Usually, it's just a quick comment to let them know that it's basically a G chord with no third , and moving bass underneath. Usually they double the root or 5th in right hand btw). Again, kind of a modal effect.

I'd have to go back and listen to specific tunes to be sure, but in my mind's memory, it seems like tunes suck as Wonderwall, Collide , several Chris Tomlin tunes like "Kindness" , "Enough" etc. use this effect. Some use these modal chords in the verse and then, "open up " to more full chords on the chorus.

Much of this is also related to idiosyncrasies of guitar tuning etc. Pianists worry over Dsus2 vs Dadd9 etc. You see random combinations of these on charts which are transcribed from guitar players. Sometimes these have "meaning", as in the examples referenced above, but very often, they are merely the unintended consequence of what's easy to play on guitar. you have to just let people know when it actually matters.

As to making your own charts: Most of the time, I would use D2 instead of a suspended or add nine symbol , especially for keyboardists etc. That is,... if I'm NOT trying to imply specific "meaning " by omitting the third. If I want that modal or drone effect, I would notated the sus over using add 9. So, what you notate on the chart can very often be different from the specific voicings you are playing. I very often play a G5 type voicing for G, but not because of anything OTHER than what I FEEL like playing in the moment. In that case, I would make the chart less specific.

If you're a songwriter or are making your own charts etc., it would be helpful to play around with some of these modal concepts etc. To get to know the sounds as their own entity . Then, you can actually make some decisions for just how specific you want to be. Above all, you want the chart to be easily read by other people. Too much information can be frustrating and maybe unnecessary to the overall purpose .

Last edited by mattbn73; 07-03-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry415 View Post
Thanks to everyone. This has been both amusing and educational... I had no idea there'd be such a range of answers. :-) I'll mull it all over and pick something that'll cause the least confusion for the beginners in my group, I guess.
If you mute the A it's a G5:

Even though it's not technically correct, I call it a G5 when fretting the A string too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-02-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
I didn’t say it was a different voicing of G major. I did say it was a modal G chord meaning neither major or minor. Technically it’s not a chord at all which is why I used the word voicing.

I like that term better for three reasons other than your suggestion of ‘power chord.’ One, it’s musically correct, power chord is a guitar driven term not taught in general music theory instruction. Second, power chord usually says to guitar players a two string fingering that is often adequate and easier to play rather than a chord requiring more string being played. Third, a ‘power chord’ isn’t a chord so we are misleading players who perhaps don’t understand that a chord requires at least 3 diffferent notes.
True. Sorry for assuming you meant a different voicing of G major.

Yeah I use the power chord term only towards other guitarists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
If you mute the A it's a G5:

Even though it's not technically correct, I call it a G5 when fretting the A string too.

You mean 330033? That’s a Gsus4.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

deleted post

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-03-2018, 09:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

I usually just call them 3 finger G and 4 finger G
Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
How about G add D?
Yes. This^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do believe that is the proper cadence.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write