The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2021, 02:27 PM

Default Loudbox Mini Help Please

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini (60 watts) that has operated flawlessly for years but of late I have been experiencing a static noise when I use the volume adjustment knob. Does anyone know if a repairman can fix this or is this the beginning of the end of my trusty Loudbox Mini?
Old 10-04-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like a dirty pot to me. Go to an autoparts store and buy a can of CNC Contact Cleaner. Unplug the amp and spray the contact cleaner around the shaft of the knob and then turn the knob repeatedly for about 30 seconds. I'd go ahead and do all of the knobs on the amp while you're at it. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes and then try the amp to see if the problem has disappeared.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-04-2021, 02:58 PM

^ yep. I've had to do this multiple times over the years. So far it's always cleared the issue.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 10-04-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
It sounds like a dirty pot to me. Go to an autoparts store and buy a can of CNC Contact Cleaner. Unplug the amp and spray the contact cleaner around the shaft of the knob and then turn the knob repeatedly for about 30 seconds. I'd go ahead and do all of the knobs on the amp while you're at it. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes and then try the amp to see if the problem has disappeared.
Thanks Goat Mick and also forum member rule18. I’ll definitely give this a try. Much appreciated amigos!
Old 10-04-2021, 03:27 PM

use a can Deoxit contact cleaner... the best and only stuff to use.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-04-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
use a can Deoxit contact cleaner... the best and only stuff to use.
Roger copy Ray. Thanks brother.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:49 PM

Not knowing what is in the spray, I would do this in an open-air venue and avoid breathing the fumes. They will dissipate quickly, so do not worry overmuch. It is just an abundance of caution.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
Not knowing what is in the spray, I would do this in an open-air venue and avoid breathing the fumes. They will dissipate quickly, so do not worry overmuch. It is just an abundance of caution.
Thanks LS, will do.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:16 PM

Deoxit is the best cleaner to use. Spraying it down the shaft may get enough in there to do the job but the best way is to open the case and disassemble until you can see the body of the control, then inject the cleaner into any opening in the control and rotate the control 30 times. 30 times shall you rotate it. Neither shall it be 31 or 25 and 10 is right out.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
Deoxit is the best cleaner to use. Spraying it down the shaft may get enough in there to do the job but the best way is to open the case and disassemble until you can see the body of the control, then inject the cleaner into any opening in the control and rotate the control 30 times. 30 times shall you rotate it. Neither shall it be 31 or 25 and 10 is right out.
Ye Holy Pot Cleaner of Antioch?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-04-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks Warren, duely noted.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:10 PM

Deoxit Fader F5 for pots and faders and Deoxit D5 for switches and contacts. I don't know how different they are, but figure Deoxit created it with some reason behind it.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-F5S-H6-D.../dp/B00006LVF1

Spraying down the shaft from the outside works, but can tend to loosen the shaft a bit so it doesn't have that smooth gliding feel to it any longer.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to than you YY and a few others for your help and recommendation to use Deoxit on my volume level control knob static on my Loud Box Mini. I finally received a can of it that I ordered from Amazon ten days ago (supply chain issues I guess), and I followed your instructions and very happy to report that the problem is solved, ZERO static! Man I thought I was going to have to replace the whole thing, it’s a fairly old model and I’ve never had a lick of trouble with it (other than the fake leather covering which does not hold up btw), over the years and I can highly recommend this 60 watt powerhouse workhouse for general gigging. Again, thanks so much for your help, very much appreciated amigos.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:50 AM

I was a electronic technician for 39 years in a large research center.

Our instrument shop never stocked or used any form of spray cleaner. Most of the time rotating the pot rapidly a number of times cured it. If that didn't work the pot would be replaced or disassembled and cleaned with alcohol then greased with a special contact lube.

Spray cleaners work but are messy and can get into places where it is not wanted.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:18 AM

In test equipment you have to be concerned with stray resistances and capacitances. In consumer audio and pro audio using contact cleaner is appropriate.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification