The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-20-2021, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Glenn, Bob, and Mr. Paul. I’m not terribly impressed with my version, but just happy to get a somewhat clean recording of this song. There are about a half dozen places where the vocal has really tripped me up in the past and one or two of them would screw me up every time through it. And it’s full of Bm chords that have given me fits in the past too - I’d usually manage to blow that transition a time or two each time through as well. I’m sure I’ll keep playing it and if I ever manage a better version, maybe I’ll update the file…

-Ray
Old 08-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

After doing that fairly difficult Lost in the Flood last night, I was still in a Bruce mood this morning. This is one of the easiest songs to play, IF you can keep from breaking down while playing it - I find it incredibly emotional and sad and have had a hard time getting through it at times. But anyway, I liked it enough to share. And now I'm gonna go away from this thread - I've put up way too much stuff here already.

-Ray

Old 08-21-2021, 03:31 AM

Default the river

hi folks,

it could be that my old eyes didn't remark it, but I missed that wonderful song, which reminds me so strong on my youth.
https://soundcloud.com/guitarchie-1/.../s-nAWPq7Yxvw8
hope you'll enjoy

all the best

guitarchie
Old 08-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchie View Post
hi folks,

it could be that my old eyes didn't remark it, but I missed that wonderful song, which reminds me so strong on my youth.
hope you'll enjoy

all the best

guitarchie
Nice! The picking kind of gives it almost an Irish feel, and it really fits. Wouldn't have thought of that...

-Ray
Old 08-22-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
After doing that fairly difficult Lost in the Flood last night, I was still in a Bruce mood this morning. This is one of the easiest songs to play, IF you can keep from breaking down while playing it - I find it incredibly emotional and sad and have had a hard time getting through it at times. But anyway, I liked it enough to share. And now I'm gonna go away from this thread - I've put up way too much stuff here already.

-Ray

Very tasty playing on this one, Ray! Don’t stop, it inspires others to learn new songs!
Old 08-22-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchie View Post
hi folks,

hope you'll enjoy

all the best

guitarchie
Nice picking, guitararchie! What an iconic song, it marked a turning point for Bruce in my mind. Glad to have your contribution!
Old 09-21-2022, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Resurrecting this thread because I couldn’t get this song out of my mind for some reason today. So I learned it. I recorded it. Then I looked at my SoundCloud and saw that I learned it and recorded it a couple of years ago and I like that version better, at least the guitar part. I’ll never get used to the guy who’s “singing” on my recordings :-) I don’t think I’ve posted it before but if so please forgive me. Hope this inspires some more Bruce covers.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I couldn’t get this song out of my mind for some reason today. So I learned it. I recorded it. Then I looked at my SoundCloud and saw that I learned it and recorded it a couple of years ago and I like that version better, at least the guitar part. I’ll never get used to the guy who’s “singing” on my recordings :-) I don’t think I’ve posted it before but if so please forgive me. Hope this inspires some more Bruce covers.

Cool! Nice job Bob!

Bruce has written some very singable and playable songs!

- Glenn
Old 09-22-2022, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Cool! Nice job Bob!

Bruce has written some very singable and playable songs!

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn! He is also a very good guitar player
Old 09-23-2022, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Never would have thought of doing that song all folkie and slow like that, Bob. I like it. That's one of Bruce's tunes I've never even attempted. Don't know if I will, but I like this approach to it, so maybe I'll give it a try some day. Thanks for waking this thread up...

-Ray
Old 09-23-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Never would have thought of doing that song all folkie and slow like that, Bob. I like it. That's one of Bruce's tunes I've never even attempted. Don't know if I will, but I like this approach to it, so maybe I'll give it a try some day. Thanks for waking this thread up...

-Ray
Thanks, Ray. This was the title track on the first album that came out after I became a Bruce fan so it’s always had a special spot in my heart. I wasn’t consciously trying to do it like a folk song, but I hear what you are saying and come to think of it Bruce really is a folksinger when you strip away a lot of the bombast I hope you are well and continuing to play every chance you can!
Old 10-22-2022, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

I’m back

I heard Bruce do a solo acoustic version of this on XM today so I gave it a shot. Kind of obscure, but it was a show stopper for him in concert when it first came out.

I really like this song, he’s got so many!

Old 10-23-2022, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Long live this thread! One of us should always commit to bumping it up every now and then….

Bob. Awesome Darkness.

You inspired me to try it. I am in open D here by the way.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 10-23-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Long live this thread! One of us should always commit to bumping it up every now and then….

Bob. Awesome Darkness.

You inspired me to try it. I am in open D here by the way.

What a great job, Sal! This is the definition of “making it your own“ while still retaining the essence of the original. The boss would approve, in fact he’s the master of doing it to his own songs!
Old 10-23-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I’m back

I heard Bruce do a solo acoustic version of this on XM today so I gave it a shot. Kind of obscure, but it was a show stopper for him in concert when it first came out.

I really like this song, he’s got so many!

Great version Bob. Bruce has such a deep catalog.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell