The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2021, 09:31 PM

Default QSC touchmix 8 vs Bose T8s

Hello everyone
I got a wedding event which contains 5 signers (5 mic), 3 instruments (keyboard, acoustic guitar and cajon with mic). Therefore, we have 6 mic input and 2 instrument input, which is 8 input totally. The hall is around 200ppl and I'm going to input all things into mixer and then output to Henriksen the bud ten as PA speaker.

Due to portability, I consider the 2 digital mixer above, and I would like to ask any factors I should consider for determining between those two digital mixer? Thank you.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 10-12-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Both can deliver great results but they're very different animals. The main one of course is that you can remotely mix with a tablet with the Touchmix but not the T8S. The learning curve to get the most out of it is probably a little steeper with the Touchmix, which I've not used, but it has a basic mode that's easier to start with. I have a T4S and overall like it, but I'm a soloist/duo guy.

I think the routing options are more varied on the Touchmix as well, but that takes some drilling down into that system, can't definitively say so myself.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:01 PM

If you're looking digital, any reason you aren't considering a Behringer? You have to control it exclusively by tablet, so that may be a consideration, but just as powerful--or more--as the Bose or QSC for less money. I was making the same comparisons a while back and went with the XR18.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:07 PM

The limiting factor is going to be your unfamiliarity with both choices.

Both will give you acceptable sound. To get more than that, you need to have more in-depth knowledge and a willingness to learn while on the gig.

If this is your first time with a digital mixer, the Bose will be easier to get working quickly.

(I like the Behringers as well, with one caveat: you are at the mercy of your tablet or laptop. If for any reason your tablet is not working, and you don't already have a mixing setup loaded, you may be without a mixer as showtime approaches.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-12-2021, 11:24 PM

With a tablet controlled mixer it makes sense to have an old basic notebook and an ethernet cable as a backup. That always works.
OTOH, I have and use a Behringer XR18 since 2015 and it never failed. Just don’t rely exclusively on the integrated WIFI. I even bought a second XR18 that I got extremely cheap as a backup. It’s still new because it was never needed.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-13-2021, 02:34 PM

I have both mixers.

With that many inputs, I think you'll have better control of setting up and tweaking each individual channel using the Touchmix.

I also agree that using the Touchmix app if you have the wifi dongle will make it pretty easy to walk around and fine tune the mix.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification