The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-23-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Bob let me know if I can help her! I assume she may have a kid or two? I am on the Board of Ed.....
Thanks, Sal. She has the first one under construction with a due date around Thanksgiving. She is in Madison, I'm not sure if that is the same school district as Chatham. More importantly she loves the Boss and I'm sure will want to catch your act! I'll PM you when we are in town, much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Bump!

Hey guys, it’s been few days….the Deadheads got 147 posts in
nearly 4 months, time to show them who is Boss

Old 07-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Good job, Bob! I enjoyed that!

- Glenn
Old 07-27-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Fun thread, nice job everyone! Particularly like Sal's Joad and Bob's Johnny 99.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-27-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Good job, Bob! I enjoyed that!

- Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Fun thread, nice job everyone! Particularly like Sal's Joad and Bob's Johnny 99.
Hi Glenn and Paul,

I'm glad you guys are following along and appreciate the listens!

We did one of these Boss threads several years ago and had a good response.

Hoping for more contributions. I do a lot of his stuff, and am always looking for ways to improve my renditions by stealing from others
Old 07-27-2021, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Nice job Bob. You're really nailing these slightly lesser known Bruce tunes. I like the vocal and the guitar on Johnny 99. Another song I've never even thought of trying. Not sure if I will or won't, but you put it on the map to think about, at least...

-Ray
Old 07-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Here's one from the Asbury Park album. One of my favorites - I saw him play it at my last really really great Bruce show (I think around 2008-2009). Only time I ever heard him play it live. It's a quickie - both a short song (under 3 minutes) and it took me about as long to record it as the song is. Really fun little tune. Lyrics don't make a lot of sense, but that was part of what I loved about his early stuff, so playful, not too serious.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Nice job Bob. You're really nailing these slightly lesser known Bruce tunes. I like the vocal and the guitar on Johnny 99. Another song I've never even thought of trying. Not sure if I will or won't, but you put it on the map to think about, at least...

-Ray
Thanks, Ray. I've heard his so-called "hits" so many times that I really gravitate towards the lesser known tunes when I want to play some Bruce. A little more freedom not to try to sound authentic on Born to Run . The Luckytown album is one I really like, I play most of those tunes.

I hope you give Johnny 99 a go. You can overdub a guitar solo where the harmonica break should be, I only kept scraping out the rhythm. I'm out of space on Soundcloud so no overdubbing for me for a while, I've not figured that out on YouTube.

BTW I think he plays this tune in B. Not my favorite key. I put a capo across the top 5 strings and played it in the D shape to get normal fingerings in the key of Drop E. Hope that makes sense!
Old 07-27-2021, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Nice job Bob!
You too Ray! I’m a Bruce fan but I didn’t know that song…

I have to say… these song threads are a lot of fun, and they ties us together. Keep them coming. Great idea.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Nice job Bob!
You too Ray! I’m a Bruce fan but I didn’t know that song…

I have to say… these song threads are a lot of fun, and they ties us together. Keep them coming. Great idea.
Thanks, Sal! I’ll bet you have a few more up your NJ sleeve

Good job on a neat little tune, Ray, I always liked it and finally saw him do it live sbout 10 years back
Old 07-28-2021, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Thanks, Ray. I've heard his so-called "hits" so many times that I really gravitate towards the lesser known tunes when I want to play some Bruce. A little more freedom not to try to sound authentic on Born to Run . The Luckytown album is one I really like, I play most of those tunes.

I hope you give Johnny 99 a go. You can overdub a guitar solo where the harmonica break should be, I only kept scraping out the rhythm.
I don't know if I'm likely to, just because I don't know the song deep in my bones from years and years of listening to it. I have the same problem with Ghost of Tom Joad, which Sal's version of makes me sort of want to try. SO MANY of Bruce's songs I know down to the molecular level, so that when I start trying to play them, I know what I'm going for. I know I'll never get to the point of doing it as well as how I hear it in my head, but I DO hear it in my head. My aim may not be true, but the target is crystal clear. But Johnny 99, Ghost of Tom Joad, and several others just aren't in my DNA in the way that so many others are. There are sooo many songs from sooo many artists that I just know basically note for note form listening to them a LOT for 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 or even-50 years. Songs I listened to from time to time, just don't worm their way in nearly as well, which makes learning to play and sing them overwhelmingly more difficult.

Quote:
Good job on a neat little tune, Ray, I always liked it and finally saw him do it live sbout 10 years back
Thanks Bob. There's one more from that album that I've been playing. I may try to record it at some point, but I'm not optimistic I'm gonna get it down well enough to ever post it - the phrasing is really weird throughout the song and it's just really hard to get the feel of it down - and that's a song I DO know down to the level of my DNA... But it's a really tough one for me.

Quote:
I'm out of space on Soundcloud so no overdubbing for me for a while, I've not figured that out on YouTube.
So wait, the stuff you've done with multiple tracks you're somehow multi-tracking in SoundCloud? I didn't know it had that capability. I have a little recorder with 8 tracks, so I record however many tracks (usually just one or two, but I've done as many as five or six) and mix on that, save the song when I'm done, and then it's about equally easy to upload it to either SoundCloud or Youtube. I didn't know Soundcloud allowed you to do that just within it???

I went ahead and paid for a year of SoundCloud when they enticed me with some special. Instead of $13 per month, I think it was $7, so I just bought a year to see how I like it. So far, I do. In addition to unlimited space, you can also tweak a song and put the tweaked version up without deleting the prior version - you just save the new one in it's place, and all of the information, any links to sites like the forum, etc, stay in place. I don't do that often, but I've done it, and it's really easy with the premium version. I don't know if I'll re-up at full price after my year is up - might go full time to YouTube at that point. For some reason I feel weird about putting songs on YouTube with just a cover photo - I feel like I should be putting video up, but I really don't have any desire to add video to the recording process, which I have pretty well streamlined... There's almost no setup time - I just sit down where I normally sit to play, put the headphones on, push record, and go.

-Ray
Old 07-28-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So wait, the stuff you've done with multiple tracks you're somehow multi-tracking in SoundCloud? I didn't know it had that capability. I have a little recorder with 8 tracks, so I record however many tracks (usually just one or two, but I've done as many as five or six) and mix on that, save the song when I'm done, and then it's about equally easy to upload it to either SoundCloud or Youtube. I didn't know Soundcloud allowed you to do that just within it???
-Ray
Ray, I think I misled you. I don't know how to overdub within SoundCloud, I doubt that is possible. I have a usb mic I plug into my iPad and use an app called Multitrack DAW which uploads directly to Soundcloud. Once in a while I will use one of the free audio to video converters to move it over to YouTube, but that is a bit of a process.....
Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ray, I think I misled you. I don't know how to overdub within SoundCloud, I doubt that is possible. I have a usb mic I plug into my iPad and use an app called Multitrack DAW which uploads directly to Soundcloud. Once in a while I will use one of the free audio to video converters to move it over to YouTube, but that is a bit of a process.....
OK, got it. What I've done with Youtube is just make a movie template in iMovie that has a photo in it as the background. Then I just drag a song file into it, save it as a movie, and then it uploads to Youtube the same as any other movie. The next time, drag a different song file into it and save it with a different name... Really easy, but about half an extra step compared to just uploading to Soundcloud...

-Ray
Old 07-28-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, got it. What I've done with Youtube is just make a movie template in iMovie that has a photo in it as the background. Then I just drag a song file into it, save it as a movie, and then it uploads to Youtube the same as any other movie. The next time, drag a different song file into it and save it with a different name... Really easy, but about half an extra step compared to just uploading to Soundcloud...

-Ray
Thanks Ray--that is going to save me a bunch of time!
Old 07-30-2021, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Bump!

C’mon guys, show some luv for the Boss

Luckytown

Last edited by reeve21; 07-30-2021 at 07:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell