The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have the TDR equalizer, but I have no idea what does what and how to use it, other than the lo and hi pass features which I use.

Something like this looks like a college course on sound file editing and not a first or second year class.

For multi track/instruments recordings a multiband EQ is invaluable for carving out space for different instruments .

Even in solo acoustic guitar, as Ric mentioned A multi band EQ with adjustable ( Q ) is very useful for finding and cutting specific problem frequencies specific to your guitar and or room..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-24-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I'm sorry, but a lot of this, for me, is "because we can technology" that has very little to do with making good music or good audio.
I agree. Some of this stuff is getting so complicated that it takes away more than it gives.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I agree. Some of this stuff is getting so complicated that it takes away more than it gives.
Get the best recording and performance you can and there will be less you will be inclined to play around with post recording.
That said some post recording tweaks almost always can improve the final product if done carefully.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Get the best recording and performance you can and there will be less you will be inclined to play around with post recording.
That said some post recording tweaks almost always can improve the final product if done carefully.
Yeah, I'm always using EQ, reverb, delay and volume automation. For the stuff I do, it's rare that I even use compression these days. But then I'm doing all acoustic music - ac. guitar, cello, piano, bass. Simple.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 AM

I love this plugin. It's certainly not "because we can technology." It serves a real need for a hybrid compressor/equalizer -- something that reduces gain at a specified frequency not continuously, like a normal EQ, but only when the signal at that frequency crosses a specified threshold. It's great, for instance, as a de-esser (but a lot more versatile than a dedicated de-esser). You could achieve roughly the same thing with a compressor keyed to an equalized sidechain, but this is simpler (once you've got the hang of it) and more flexible.

The thing about TDR plugins, if you haven't used them, is that while they are ultra-deep in features, the interfaces are so well crafted that you can do quite a bit with little or no reference to the manual. The deeper functionality is not a roadblock, but it's there when you need it and are ready to explore it.

Their plugins are technically superb -- sonically transparent and bug-free -- their documentation is really good, and they are priced way below their competition. I highly recommend the Kotelnikov compressor and Limiter 6 as well.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Interesting thread.

I've owned this plugin for about 5 months but I've yet to explore it. I've read praises for Tokyo Dawn Lab's work for a long time and when I saw a chance to grab the TDR + OD Everything Bundle for less than half price back in September, I jumped on it. I'm a sucker for a good plugin sale.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

It is an interesting thread and a highlights conundrum or two edged sword that I suppose has been with man since first sharpening a stick in the cave.

That technological development can bring both more efficiency and greater variety of choice, but also more can add more complexity . In the end it is all, just a tool......

This Tech, in plug in form has (in large part) been around for at least 10 -15 years or more but usually in two different plugins , where this plugin combines two into one package, a multi band EQ and multi band Comp ... But like most plugin one can use as much or as little of the available features as desired .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-27-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I love this plugin. It's certainly not "because we can technology." It serves a real need for a hybrid compressor/equalizer -- something that reduces gain at a specified frequency not continuously, like a normal EQ, but only when the signal at that frequency crosses a specified threshold. It's great, for instance, as a de-esser (but a lot more versatile than a dedicated de-esser). You could achieve roughly the same thing with a compressor keyed to an equalized sidechain, but this is simpler (once you've got the hang of it) and more flexible.

The thing about TDR plugins, if you haven't used them, is that while they are ultra-deep in features, the interfaces are so well crafted that you can do quite a bit with little or no reference to the manual. The deeper functionality is not a roadblock, but it's there when you need it and are ready to explore it.

Their plugins are technically superb -- sonically transparent and bug-free -- their documentation is really good, and they are priced way below their competition. I highly recommend the Kotelnikov compressor and Limiter 6 as well.
I can't say it any better than this so in a word, Ditto!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD