The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Which Rainsong to get?

OK. I'm finally going to order one of these. I love dreads, but have a great Taylor 710 that I am not selling and dreads don't seem to have the greatest resale if I decide to sell it down the road. I love Jumbos, but this guitar is to be an all around guitar to be used for everything in every situation and the Jumbo might be a little too big for that. That leaves us with their GA type WS 1000, which looks like a great guitar, but I don't really like cutaways.

So guys and gals, tell me what you have and why you prefer it or wish you had something else.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 PM
In The Pocket

I vote dread. I was thinking of getting one too...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 PM

i have a WS1000 and find it to be an incredibly well rounded instrument

responds very well to everything from light finger picking to some pretty aggressive strumming.

while, shape wise it is closest to a 'grand auditorium', it is quite a bit thicker.

before choosing mine, i did get to briefly play a jumbo & dred

what comes to mind quickly when i think about the jumbo is "wall of sound"
it was just a huge sound! quite impressive, but wrote that one off as i figured that i would have a hard time not overpowering my voice

the dred was even more tempting, in fact in a pure unplugged tone competition i would probably pick it over the WS for my type of playing (mainly strumming/picking) but in the end the WS won out from the combination of comfort (i just like the tight waisted boxes) the cutaway (i'm a big fan) and the electronics (the dred i was looking at didn't have them).

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 PM

I want a Jumbo sooooooo badly. Thats only because I play mainly instrumentals and I want a loud guitar. Go with the WS 1000.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:45 AM

My vote is for the WS-1000. The best all around guitar in the Rainsong range.
Perfect for both fingerpicking and flatpicking.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 AM

I agree- the WS is the best all around choice. I also wish that it did not have the cutaway, but to each their own.

I have the OM- while it is loud, there is no comparison that the WS and Jumbo can knock someone on their bottoms- very powerful sound.

I wish that Rainsong would now make a 100% carbon graphite travel guitar. I am in the search for a new one, and the Emerald Life looks to be a good choice, but Rainsongs jsut have things right!!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esundell View Post
I wish that Rainsong would now make a 100% carbon graphite travel guitar. I am in the search for a new one, and the Emerald Life looks to be a good choice, but Rainsongs jsut have things right!!
speaking of which... have you seen this thing?
Blackbird Rider

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastevens View Post
speaking of which... have you seen this thing?
Blackbird Rider

Man, that is expensive!

As far as the Emerald X5 goes, they are great little guitars. I had one and loved it, but sold it in preperation for the Rainsong. I just couldn't justify both of them plus a Baby Taylor. I sold it to a friend who is a travelling children's singer and story teller. It will be perfect for her and she indeed loves it. So I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I do wish Rainsong would make a travel guitar. The Rainsong sound is just crystal clear and ....... I really don't know how to describe it. I just know I love it!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 AM

The WS1000 is a great guitar. It's definitly got more volumn than your Taylor. No comparison in that department. Rainsongs (all sizes) have a great deal of volumn. The difference is that it's not a "wood" sound/tone/sustain, etc. Yet, it's still a guitar and they can be heard very clearly for a considerable distance. These guitars likely have more sound than all the Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, etc. that you have ever played. But, it's not the sound projected by wood. If one likes the sound of the Rainsong, then like anyother guitar one likes, that is the guitar for you. They are as good as most any guitar you will find. For me, I was simply drawn back to the tone and sound of wood and I played my WS1000 less and less, eventually selling it........One thing I found out is that if you play your Rainsong at about three in the morning on a clear and still night, neighbors a dozen houses away will hear it and be able to identify what song you are fingerpicking.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 AM

It looks like the WS 1000 is winning. That is the one I was leaning towards anyway, even though it has that cutaway. I called the company, but they don't deviate from the line due to the molds they use. I also asked about the original "Maui Girl" that they used to put on the headstock. I thought she was "really cute." I know that makes me a sick old man. Anyway, they don't use it anymore and I would have to cover it anyway when I am singing with kids.

Any more comments?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Eww a cutaway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber