The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 08:47 AM

Default is this a 1970s Washburn?

Hello Everyone,
A few years ago I bought a Washburn Acoustic on eBay. It was in a bad state, covered in kiddies stickers and I was told it had been under a bed for the last 25 years. I gradually cleaned it up, slowly removed all the stickers, polished it, oiled the fret board etc. Today it is a great guitar and I play it most days.
But I have never been able to get any real information on it though. I have no idea of its real age or history. Can anyone help please?
The model is a D-21 SB. Now, I cannot find any search results on any SB except for modern models; there are D-21 S or SE, SN, but nothing on any older SB.
The serial number is on the base of the neck, and is simply 168. No zero's in front or behind, just 168.
I can add some pictures if required, but I have just found this forum and wanted to post something immediately.
Grateful for any info.
Jon.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Some makers - not sure about Washburn - use "S" to denote solid. That could mean solid top, or all solid. Or something else...

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your info search.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:07 PM

The Washburn D21-S was manufactured from late 80s until 2000. Until 1992 it was available with a Tobacco Sunburst finish as well as Natural. So, if yours has a sunburst finish that probably accounts for the SB suffix.

In any case it will have a solid spruce top.

Regards,
Clive
Old 04-28-2021, 05:25 AM

Hi, Thanks for the responses. I agree about the 'S', but all the models are for example, D-21S. Mine is a D-21SB which I don't find anywhere else. Plus if it was a 1980s onward model it would have more numbers - I've taken the following from the Washburn website "In most cases**, the first two numbers of the serial number are the year of manufacture. For example, if your guitar’s serial number is 94000000, your guitar was made in 1994. **Some serial numbers have been printed with just a single number to identify the year. If your guitar begins with 240000, it most likely is a 1982 or 1992 model."
So with a serial number of simply 168, I'm kinda lost on the age except for being told by the previous owner it was early 70s.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:57 AM

Default There is no difference

these ( D-21S ) were made in the late 80's to the beginning of 2000. the only difference between a D-21S and D-21SB is the sunburst top. The SB was stopped in about 1992 and yes yours should have a solid top.
As for it being in the early 70's would be impossible Washburn did not start back up till 76 and they were Japanese made Yamaki's Which I own a 12 string from that time.
Hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, age, history, washburn