The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2017, 07:14 AM

Default New to the forum looking for recommendations

Hey there all,
My name is Derek, I’ve been playing guitar for about ten years now and never really had a nice one. I play in a bluegrass/folk, don’t really use a pick too much, don’t really solo all too much either. I currently play with a takamine g406s and I’ve really just grown out of it and I’m looking to size up a bit. I guess you could say i have a similar playing style to bands like Devil Makes Three and stuff like that. I’m looking into a new guitar and have been back and forth on orchestra models and 000 models. Looking for something all solid wood with more volume and projection, no cutaway, under a grand in price and preferably 000 size but could be convinced to stray away from that. What would y’all recommend for someone playing that style of music?
Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 AM

Welcome Derek!

You're probably going to want a dreadnaught for the projection you seek.

A used Martin DM (poor mans D18) solid top only, would fit the bill around $500.

I have one and it is my go-to guitar over my D-35 and 000-18ge.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:32 AM

Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:45 AM

I think I’d like to stay away from a dreadnought for now. Just for comfortabilitys sake. I’ve been looking at the guild om240e. Haven’t played one just yet, has anyone spent any time with that guitar here?
Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Welcome to the forum!

I would think an Eastman E10 would fit the bill quite nicely. Ultimately your best bet would be to take the recommendations offered here and give Ted at L.A. Guitars, or Maury at Maury's Music a call. They are both sponsors of the AGF, have great reputations and are very knowledgeable. I'm sure they can also give you some more ideas.

L.A. Guitars
https://www.laguitarsales.com/

Maury's Music

https://www.maurysmusic.com/

Old 12-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Are you open to buying used? For about the same price as the Guild you mentioned, you could probably find a used Guild GAD F130, which is similar but all solid woods. I used to have one and thought it was a nice, really versatile guitar. And you mention volume and projection - that thing was LOUD for an OM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:59 AM

Default Blueridge

The Blueridge BR163a might fill the bill. It's an all solid rosewood and adirondack 000. Currently MF is listing these for $801.33 plus an additional 17 percent off with the code HOLIDAY. If hog is your thing the BR143a is also available.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:06 AM

Looking for a new/used guitar is great. However you're going to get 50 different responses and maybe none are available in your area. My suggestion is to go out and try as many guitars as you need to, to find one that works for your desires and budget. There is no shortage of excellent used guitars under your price ceiling. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Larrivee OM02 or OM03. They are essentially the same guitar. You could easily get the OM02 for under 1k, and likely the OM03 for under or right at about 1k. These are wonderfully fantastic all solid, American made guitars of the highest build quality. They also sound fantastic with great projection. Contact John at Shoreline Music (shorelinemusic.com) or Jim at Trinity Guitars (trinityguitars.com) for great pricing and service.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:37 AM

thanks for all this! I really like the blueridge guitars but what drives me nuts is they only make acoustic electric with the cutaway. I’m gonna try some of these out and see what fits best, still open to as many suggestions and y’all have! And also, if you want to check out what I’m doing, i play in a band called pinedrop. We’re from Vermont, have some ****ty recordings but some good videos on YouTube. Check it out! And thanks again!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereksens View Post
I think I’d like to stay away from a dreadnought for now. Just for comfortabilitys sake. I’ve been looking at the guild om240e. Haven’t played one just yet, has anyone spent any time with that guitar here?
Look for a used Larrivee OM-03. Great guitar. Used usually sells for under $1000.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 AM

Alvarez
Blueridge
Eastman

They all have some excellent choices and great bang for the buck.

Check out some of the HPL Martins as well.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...1ae/34053/2749

And welcome to the forum.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Anyone know how they gulld om150 sizes up with the guild om240e?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar, recomendation