The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Brian,

I was a little slow on the update about your videos. Whoa! Really well done!

I have to tell you, having been in the music business myself and having done lots of sound work that your Taylor works well with all the other instruments, particularly the bass and drums.

Really, I would look at putting a bone saddle in that Taylor and start experimenting with mellower strings. My opinion is that you do not want too much bass in your guitar's sound or it will start interfering with the sonic territory of the kick drum and bass guitar. You have a pretty good balance right now.

Really.

- Glenn
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Brian...

On further reflection, I think the suggestions (by Glenn and upsidedown) to make some adjustments to your current guitar are good ones. That's already a nice instrument. A new nut, saddle, the right strings...you might have exactly what you really need with just a little effort and a lot less outlay.

As for Eastman guitars, as I say, they show up used: I just searched the classified section here and found two still-active ads (one for an E20OM for $750 and one for an E10OM for $700), plus an Eastman OM size from their older series, and a number of sold E-series items, all listed in the last two weeks. If you really want one, one will show up. I know, I know...we all still want you to try 'em first. Seriously. That still holds. But don't feel like you have to rush to purchase one that's a 7 hour round trip and a "nonrefundable deposit" away. There are other options.

Unless, of course, you're really just looking for an excuse for a road trip. I have to remember back a couple of decades or so, but yeah...I've been there. Your call.

Cheers,

Dirk

Last edited by dirkronk; 04-26-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM

That Eastman has already sailed halfway around the world on a container ship, then was trucked from some port on the west coast all the way to Alabama. It's seen enough travels. On the other hand, you can fly that Stonebridge from the UK in a few days and get a brilliant guitar from a country where smog is not considered a chief export.

--Diamond Dave
owner of two Chinese guitars
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks everyone for all the kind words regarding the videos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
First...are you driving all that way to see JUST an Eastman E20OM that an individual is selling? Or is this a regular Eastman dealer, who will have other models for you to play? I realized in zipping through the thread first time, I just assumed it would be a dealer. If I was right...good! That would make the trip worth it. Because I'd want you to be able to play other models for comparison: the E8OM (I've got one and love it) is a sitka top brother to the E20OM adi top, both with rosewood, and playing both could tell you something about those top woods. Also, what if rosewood's overtones are too prominent for your ears? They're gorgeous to me, but I'm not really a strummer. Maybe mahogany would sound better for your purpose: trying the E6OM (sitka) and E10OM (adirondack) would tell you. Plus, a dealer would have other brands to try, as well. Just sayin'.
It is a dealer, but they have a lot of other guitars, as well. Not sure that their Eastman stock is that robust. I'll call tomorrow. If they do, it might be worth the trip just to make a final decision Eastman guitars. If not, I think I'll shift my focus to fixing up my Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Brian,

Really, I would look at putting a bone saddle in that Taylor and start experimenting with mellower strings. My opinion is that you do not want too much bass in your guitar's sound or it will start interfering with the sonic territory of the kick drum and bass guitar. You have a pretty good balance right now.

Really.

- Glenn
Again, thanks for the compliments on the video, I'm glad you found the mix to work well! I felt that the guitar was too tinny, but I could see how a guitar with too much bottom could impinge on the other instruments. Sounds like the most reasonable thing to do is get this bone saddle and try the John Pearse strings, and see if I can redeem the 614 that way. I'm going to continue looking around for a good second guitar, but it doesn't sound like making the trip to Bama would be the most appropriate way to spend this Saturday
Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
That Eastman has already sailed halfway around the world on a container ship, then was trucked from some port on the west coast all the way to Alabama. It's seen enough travels. On the other hand, you can fly that Stonebridge from the UK in a few days and get a brilliant guitar from a country where smog is not considered a chief export.

--Diamond Dave
owner of two Chinese guitars
Unless, of course, adirondack that's absorbed a bunch of smog particles sounds nice and warm when you strum on it

I am so tempted to order that guitar. Everyone says these Stonebridges are just incredible. But it does seem like trying to make my 614 work would be worth a shot before making a big new purchase.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Hey Brian, I really liked that song and the style of the band in general. Very nice playing and songwriting.
I think your Taylor sounds pretty good. I agree with the suggestions of changing the saddle and experimenting with strings.

Nothing wrong with getting a new guitar either and Eastman makes some great ones. I have an E20OM which I love, also have an AC-712 which is similar to the E20OM with a bit more warmth as it has an engelmann top. I used elixirs for a long time on all my guitars and then tried D'Addario EJs and the switch gave them all a bit more warmth.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Hey Brian, I'm sure you've got MORE than enough opinions on your actual question but I just wanted to say how AWESOME your videos and music are!! I'm a real fuss and I don't like a lot of things that people do..... but your videos are probably some of the best music I've heard in a long time!! Thanks for sharing those!! Good luck on the new guitar purchase. Make sure you post the results here with some photos or, even better, another video!!

Best of luck to you!!

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Looks like everyone is chiming in with eastman experience, I'll tell you more about the stonebridge.

If you do a search, about a year ago, I was like you, deciding between an eastman and a stonebridge (furch in my country, same brand different name)

Upon AGF's recommendations, I bought a Furch OM34SR, which is a sitka/rosewood combo before I even tried it. (I went down just to collect it, I know stupid me)

Well for the verdict?

I have tried eastmans' and I get the hype. They are real good. But there are a few differences between the eastman and the furch/stonebridge. I've had the furch om34 for a year, and I can easily say it's more of a "delicate" guitar. In the sense that it excels at softer stuff, a softer touch and more finger picking. It's like having some modulation on the notes (if you play electric guitar you'll understand) Strumming wise, sounds best if you hold the pick loose. The sound is less jangly than your recorded sounds, but yet the tone is quite similar. A sweeter top end if you would. The 616 would have more top end bite I bought imagine since it has maple b/s. The furch sounds sweeter IMO. Furch/stonebridge guitars are similar to Taylor, in that it has the more modern sound instead of the traditional "woody" tone.

The shop that I bought the furch from stocked high end acoustics (collings, huss and dalton and such). I compared a 2.5K GA furch with a 9 series Taylor more than double the price, they were remarkably close, I dare say the furch sounded better.

Eastmans have the less jangly tone imo, more traditional and more towards the martin sound. It depends on what you want I guess. A stonebridge would give you a similar sound to a Taylor (think high end ones) whereas the eastmans is a different sound imo. Apple to oranges, you gotta choose which one you want. If you ask me, I think a furch would fit in your band. Cant comment on the eastman though

Hope this long post helps. Cheers!

Last edited by bladefire; 04-26-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 PM

Hey man I just wanted to say after watchin the first clip you guys are great.
I have an Eastman so you know how im voting. Going back to see the second..
Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM

I have a Stonebridge, and I think the two guitars you're comparing are apples and oranges. The Stonebridge is less jangly because of the cedar top, and because they are different brands.

I think it's always a good idea to try before you buy, because even the same brand and models have subtle differences from one guitar to the next.

It sounds like subtle sounds make a difference to you, so I'd try to find a Stonebridge dealer near you so you can hold and play the instrument.

That being said, I've never heard of anyone stating that they wished they hadn't bought a Stonebridge, unless their significant other protested too much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, eastman, new guitar, stonebridge