The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2023, 09:11 PM

Default A few quesitons regarding terminology

2 questions and a suggestion:

-------------------------------------------------------
1. What does NGD stand for? I keep seeing that in posts with no definition for us new guys.

2. What is the list of guitars at the end of many posts all about? Previous guitars owned? Favorites list?

3. Suggestion: There may already be something like this in the forum but, if not, why not create a FAQ for new comers that functions as a terminology dictionary?
Old 11-26-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
1. What does NGD stand for? I keep seeing that in posts with no definition for us new guys.
New Guitar Day. Variations are NAD (new amp day), NPD (new pedal day) and many more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
2. What is the list of guitars at the end of many posts all about? Previous guitars owned? Favorites list?
That is the 'signature' block, which people can populate with favorite quotes, links to websites, and (what you are asking about) their guitar/instrument collection.

You can put things in your own signature by using the User CP link you see when you are logged in.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-26-2023, 10:21 PM

Default terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
New Guitar Day. Variations are NAD (new amp day), NPD (new pedal day) and many more...
That is the 'signature' block, which people can populate with favorite quotes, links to websites, and (what you are asking about) their guitar/instrument collection.

You can put things in your own signature by using the User CP link you see when you are logged in.
===================================
Wow. I now have something more to envy: the collections some of these people actually have. I have 2...and that's the most I've ever owned at one point in time. One is a six...the other (to arrive this week, thus giving me an NGD) a 12'er.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:56 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
...I'm wondering if anyone here actually started their guitar journey with a 12-string over a 6?

I didn't literally start with a twelve string, but there were a few years towards the beginning of my journey -around middle/high school- that I only played twelve string. Kind of a funny story: When I was in seventh grade in 1979, my older sister had a boyfriend had a nice Stratocaster -probably a late-60's I'm guessing- that just left it at our house after they broke up. He later sent a letter saying that I could have it since I was so into guitar and he really wasn't. So of course I took it right down to the local guitar store and asked if I could trade it for a cool looking Yamaha twelve-string. Of course they were like, "ahh, sure kid..."

Anyway, that's all I played for a few years and I think it made me a stronger player for sure. I beat the heck out of that thing, and it beat the heck out of me! That was the early 80's in the Bay Area, so all the Windham Hill stuff was happening all around me. So I tuned it all kinds of crazy ways and played fingerstyle day and night on it. Jazz too... It was a lot of tuning! And this was before I knew about string winders, so re-stringing was painful and took hours
Old 11-27-2023, 06:25 PM

Default story

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I didn't literally start with a twelve string, but there were a few years towards the beginning of my journey -around middle/high school- that I only played twelve string. Kind of a funny story: When I was in seventh grade in 1979, my older sister had a boyfriend had a nice Stratocaster -probably a late-60's I'm guessing- that just left it at our house after they broke up. He later sent a letter saying that I could have it since I was so into guitar and he really wasn't. So of course I took it right down to the local guitar store and asked if I could trade it for a cool looking Yamaha twelve-string. Of course they were like, "ahh, sure kid..."

Anyway, that's all I played for a few years and I think it made me a stronger player for sure. I beat the heck out of that thing, and it beat the heck out of me! That was the early 80's in the Bay Area, so all the Windham Hill stuff was happening all around me. So I tuned it all kinds of crazy ways and played fingerstyle day and night on it. Jazz too... It was a lot of tuning! And this was before I knew about string winders, so re-stringing was painful and took hours
------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I see your funny story, and raise you one.

As a senior in college, I dated a girl for 2 years. As the relationship drew to a close (she married a nut) I could sense she was about to dump me. That being the case, I figured if she could see how devastated I'd be losing her, I put on the saddest face I could, looked her dead in the eye, and here's what came out of my mouth: "I'll always forget you, I'll never remember you!" I tried to reach out and yank those words back into my mouth, but they were too slippery. She replied: "Whaaaaaat?" I replied "Aw, forget it. Keep the guitar and dump me." That's exactly what that heifer did.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:53 PM

Default Conrad 12? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
Sure it can be done, after borrowing a friend's Stella for a couple of months in 1967, I purchased a Conrad 12-string. Within a year I was giving guitar lessons at the local music store, bought an Ovation Balladeer and playing in a band (bass - not the 12er). Turn out the 12er was my gateway drug to many good times that continue to this day! I probably wouldn't recommend a 12-string to begin learning on...but you'll end up with strong fingers!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Other than me in 1972, you're the only one I've ever heard of that started with (or ever even owned) a Conrad 12. I guess they are no longer manufactured. I got mine from a pawn shop in Florida that year. Knew nothing about guitars....s.o I didn't notice the bridge coming up. Enjoyed learning on it, ,though. I got hooked on the 12 string sound, and never even wanted anything else.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:14 AM

What I get for being a periodic poster and sporadic forum reader...

I fall into the "sorta" category: I started with a ten-dollar "Warpneck" I bought from a friend in high school. When I went off to college in Germany I bought my first new guitar, a 1971 Framus 12-string. I've added a couple more since, but I still have that strange, zero-fret, heavily braced, dreadnought with the super-fast ebony fingerboard. I had it cleaned up last year even though I rarely play it these days, giving way to my Taylor 653ce Builders Edition.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:08 PM

Default 41?

[QUOTE=fpuhan;7411348]What I get for being a periodic poster and sporadic forum reader...

==================================
You own 41 guitars????!!!!

I've always wanted an electric. Almost got thrown out of the dorm in the fall of 71 for playing Proud Mary at 2:00 a.m. The dean downstairs sent his son to ask "what's all that racket?" I told him to go back and tell his dad it was proud mary. When the kid left, I decided to go to bed.

Fast forward a half century. I found a Fender Strat (made in Mexico) at a pawn shop a year ago. Bought it for $200. Lead guitarist in my church said he'd fix it up for me, as it (and the defective amp) needed some repairs. The following week he left the church for a PAID gig at another. He won't return my texts, my voice mails, OR THE STRAT!!!.

Anyway...next time I get the urge and the money to get an electric, I'm going to take someone with me who knows what he's doing. There are certain sounds you can make with an electric that you can't with an acoustic. I think I'd like to piddle with one, but my wife gave me the acoustic for Christmas, and I think it would hurt her feelings if I bought another on the theory that she would think the electric was what I REALLY wanted all along.

Last edited by 12FanMan; 02-18-2024 at 08:13 PM. Reason: ADD2
Old 02-18-2024, 08:13 PM

I didn't start on a 12 string back in 1964 while in college. However, I soon got a Harmony 12 that was impossible to play anything but cowboy chords on.

That was enough and I've rarely ever been without a 12 string in my stash.

When it comes to tuning a 12 string, I like John Denver's advice the best:

"Find the string that's out of tune and then tune the other 11 strings to it."

LOL!!!

My 1971 Guild F-312NT is the best sounding, easiest playing 12 I've ever had in my hands. It goes to my final dirt nap with me.

Last edited by 6L6; 02-20-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:14 PM

Default a thought

Feelings? Maybe. But the budget - - - please be sure that the instrument is an allowable discretionary purchase. These things are for sure luxury goods.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:34 PM

Default conrad

BTW...per your photo...I do believe that Conrad is the EXACT model I had back in the day. Brings back heart-jerking memories. Never thought I'd see one again.

My dad had a guitar when he died (at age 35) in 1958. I was 5. Grew up wanting one, but a cousin ended up with it. Rumor had it that he destroyed it. Not sure if that's true. I bought the Conrad on the cheap at the pawn shop in 1972. I think I paid $50. May not have sounded good to someone who knew guitars, but it sounded great to my 19 year old poverty-stricken ears. I played that thing to death until the bridge came up. Didn't know back then that it could have been fixed. Didn't have the $$ to have that done anyway. Bought my first new guitar a year later...Yammie 12. Wore it out. Bridge problem again. The one I got for Christmas last year? Another Yammie 12 (FG-820-12.)
Old 02-19-2024, 09:42 PM

Default impossible?

[However, I soon got a Harmony 12 that was impossible to play anything but cowboy chords on.

Ooooo..not so. I primarily pick melodies on my 12 Strum some to..but mostly melodies. Was that old Harmony a little too high on the action?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Here's my 12 string story.

After 5 years of piano lessons from 1st - 5th grades, I didn't like the practice and stated I wanted to quit piano. My grandparents encouraged me to try one more year of lessons, and they would buy me something I wanted. I wanted an electric guitar and amplifier. We all agreed, and they took me to Minsky's Music in north Dallas to select one. It ended up being the cheapest Fender electric available, a one pickup musicmaster model, and a tiny amp. Took a few lessons there and learned Gloria and several other 3-4 chord songs from 1964.
I did quit piano after that, and now wished I had kept on going until I could learn to play songs by ear.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I traded the Fender for a Vox 12 String acoustic guitar. It had the most beautiful wood I had ever seen on the back of it, and I loved the guitar. By sophomore year of college, 1972, the bridge on the Vox was pulling up, so I wanted a Martin 12 string then. I went out to a suburb of Dallas, Garland Tx, to Arnold and Morgan Music, a huge store with a service department, used by many of the large rock and roll acts when they came to town, and had guitar issues. While they were putting new strings on the cheapest Martin 12 string, $299 at the time, I picked up a Guild D40-12 and started playing it. It sounded amazing, so I called my brother's roommate at SMU who was in a popular band at the time. He said buy the Guild, they are famous for their 12 stings. I have now had that guitar ever since, and it is my go to instrument for playing and performing.

After buying a used 1998 Olson SJ 6 string in 2000, I loved the brand, and bought one of the only 10-11 12 string guitars Jim ever built. At that time, Crosby, Justin Hayward, and Paul Simon had one, and I bought it. It was a beautiful guitar, and sounded great, but never as great as the Guild. I sold it 2 years later for a small profit.

2 years ago I bought a 1973 Guild D40 6 string to have a Hoboken pair of Guilds, and it had that same large sound as the 12, and plays easily as well.

There are very few songs to my ear, that don't sound good on 12 string, so I stick with what does. Just saw the Eagles in Houston last Friday night, and Deacon Frey played 12 string, and sounded great. I googled it, and he plays a Takamine 12 often on the tour.

That's my 12 string story.

1973 Guild D40 6 string.

1995 Olson SJ
Old 02-20-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digman52 View Post

After 5 years of piano lessons from 1st - 5th grades, I didn't like the practice and stated I wanted to quit piano. My grandparents encouraged me to try one more year of lessons, and they would buy me something I wanted. I wanted an electric guitar and amplifier. We all agreed, and they took me to Minsky's Music in north Dallas to select one. It ended up being the cheapest Fender electric available, a one pickup musicmaster model, and a tiny amp. Took a few lessons there and learned Gloria and several other 3-4 chord songs from 1964.
I did quit piano after that, and now wished I had kept on going until I could learn to play songs by ear.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I traded the Fender for a Vox 12 String acoustic guitar. It had the most beautiful wood I had ever seen on the back of it, and I loved the guitar. By sophomore year of college, 1972, the bridge on the Vox was pulling up, so I wanted a Martin 12 string then. I went out to a suburb of Dallas, Garland Tx, to Arnold and Morgan Music, a huge store with a service department, used by many of the large rock and roll acts when they came to town, and had guitar issues. While they were putting new strings on the cheapest Martin 12 string, $299 at the time, I picked up a Guild D40-12 and started playing it. It sounded amazing, so I called my brother's roommate at SMU who was in a popular band at the time. He said buy the Guild, they are famous for their 12 stings. I have now had that guitar ever since, and it is my go to instrument for playing and performing.

After buying a used 1998 Olson SJ 6 string in 2000, I loved the brand, and bought one of the only 10-11 12 string guitars Jim ever built. At that time, Crosby, Justin Hayward, and Paul Simon had one, and I bought it. It was a beautiful guitar, and sounded great, but never as great as the Guild. I sold it 2 years later for a small profit.

2 years ago I bought a 1973 Guild D40 6 string to have a Hoboken pair of Guilds, and it had that same large sound as the 12, and plays easily as well.

There are very few songs to my ear, that don't sound good on 12 string, so I stick with what does. Just saw the Eagles in Houston last Friday night, and Deacon Frey played 12 string, and sounded great. I googled it, and he plays a Takamine 12 often on the tour.

Wow, I’d not thought of Morgan Music in Garland for a long time. By the time I started playing it was called Larry Morgan Music. I used to give guitar lessons to a lady that bought her Taylor there. I helped her pick it out. That was a cool shop. It’s closed now and has been for some time. I think I remember hearing that the owner retired.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:42 PM

Default Sophomore '72

Quote:
Originally Posted by digman52 View Post

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm...college sophomore in '72? Ditto I.
Those were some intense times, were they not?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion